• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is this a safety video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zoidberg

Established Member
I watched the first 10 or so minutes - that was over 40 years ago and if hopping on and off rolling stock when it was moving was part of the job, then I think it's a rather good way of demonstrating good practice and the dangers involved with bad practice.

455driver

Veteran Member
If this video is a safety film, am gald that I never worked for this bunch of idots.
If this methods of working on the uk railways, I recon this is the most unsafe thing I have ever seen.
Any views or comments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rx57jVGfso

Its a video to show the right and wrong way of doing things when people were allowed to use their training and common sense, sadly the second of these is no longer allowed.

I can remember watching shunters jumping on and off moving trains in the early 80s, nobody died (or was ever injured) as long as they kept to the rules.

9K43

Its a video to show the right and wrong way of doing things when people were allowed to use their training and common sense, sadly the second of these is no longer allowed.

I can remember watching shunters jumping on and off moving trains in the early 80s, nobody died (or was ever injured) as long as they kept to the rules.

I know of 2 shunters that lost thier legs, due to slack working, and also someone losing thier life on a preserved railway
The shunter were riding on the footsteps of the locomotive at Scunthorpe, the other was at Hunslet East ORT.

LE Greys

Established Member
I know of 2 shunters that lost thier legs, due to slack working, and also someone losing thier life on a preserved railway
The shunter were riding on the footsteps of the locomotive at Scunthorpe, the other was at Hunslet East ORT.

Such things used to happen a lot in the past, including to my great grandfather at Springhead Yard in Hull when the LNER owned it. One thing worth remembering is that almost everything in America has running boards, whereas our stock tended not to, to avoid clipping platforms. Brake vans did, but they tended to be very narrow.

bronzeonion

Shunting and marshalling freight trains in yards in Japan are all carried out by riding on the 'shunters step' as its known here on locomotives with a bardic type lamp in one hand waving a green and changing to a still red when the loco or rear of train is close to the wagons being coupled. All wagons and locos carry knuckle type couplings only and the shunter only needs to connect the air hoses and open the knuckles using a chain similar to here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdegEoDUd2M

Seems during good visibility, flags are used instead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.