• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is this a Valid Split?

Status
Not open for further replies.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Lincoln 1627
Gainsborough 1648

SPLIT (stay on train [it stops at [stn]GBL[/stn]])

Gainsborough 1649
Retford 1703

Retford 1728
Doncaster 1741

Section One (Lincoln to Gainsborough) on Anytime D SGL
As I said Stay on the same train
Section Two Gainsborough to Doncaster (change at Retford) on Anytime D SGL.

Also as the NT service stops at DON later in its journey (however it would add another hour to my journey) is the ticket valid to change at Retford to a ML service overtaking the stopper?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are what tickets exactly, valid for what journey exactly? It's not clear to me.

This sounds like a question about routeing not splitting?

Tickets are valid by direct trains. So you can go the long way round on a direct train if you like.

Tickets are valid via the shortest route.

Tickets are also valid via mapped routes where applicable. Details in the RG.

So the via Sheffield long way round trains that are direct are valid on through tickets between two points where the train calls, regardless of route taken.

Obviously the ECML is valid also as it is shorter.

Splitting for day tickets requires the train to call where you change from one ticket to the next.

Established Member
One is definately valid, I'm checking the timetables but two seems valid as well.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Think he is talking about splitting at Gainsborough Lea Road instead of purchasing a Lincoln - Doncaster single.

LCN - DON SDS = £13.00

LCN - GBL = £4.50

GBL - DON = £8.20

Saving 30p. All without railcard.
The journey planner also suggests that you do change at Retford. Why, apart from the ride, you'd choose to stay on the Northern train is beyond me.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Section One (Lincoln to Gainsborough) on Anytime D SGL
As I said Stay on the same train
Section Two Gainsborough to Doncaster (change at Retford) on Anytime D SGL.

Also as the NT service stops at DON later in its journey (however it would add another hour to my journey) is the ticket valid to change at Retford to a ML service overtaking the stopper?

Sorry - I will be journeying:

Lincoln dep 1627 NT
Gainsborough arr 1648

Ticket SPLIT ( but will be staying on train NOTE: it stops at [stn]GBL[/stn])
Gainsborough dep 1649
Retford arr 1703

Retford 1728 HT
Doncaster 1741

All of the journey will be covered by an Anytime Day SGL. However we will be splitting at Gainsborough (to save money). What I want to know is it valid to do this split.

Sorry for the Confusion.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can't understand how asking if changing at Retford onto the shorter route is valid can be a question? The shortest route is always valid. Staying on is also valid, direct trains are also always valid, even if they go a long way round.

I did once advise some girls who did not look like rail enthusiasts asking if it was the "Lincoln train" at Donny to check for connections via Newark or Retford. To my surprise they said they didn't mind going the long way round as they were not in a hurry! Maybe they were track bashers in disguise?

Established Member
Probably would have been a better question in prose and not abbreviations.
And I've already answered, yes the split is valid. As long as the train stops at that station a split will always be valid.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I did once advise some girls who did not look like rail enthusiasts asking if it was the "Lincoln train" at Donny to check for connections via Newark or Retford. To my surprise they said they didn't mind going the long way round as they were not in a hurry! Maybe they were track bashers in disguise?

I'm curious. What *do* rail enthusiast look like? :p

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Well, when I say 'look like' I really meant act/talk like. e.g. "He looks like an enthusiast" doesn't mean you can tell by looking at their face, it would mean they are acting in a certain way, or talking in a certain way, or if they know certain things.

A60K

I'm curious. What *do* rail enthusiast look like? :p

Carrying an Ian Allan ABC, a small notebook, pencil or pen, sandwich box, copy of Railway Magazine, camera, and wearing a green anorak would be enough to make it clear you were a railway enthusiast in my spotting days :)

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Carrying an Ian Allan ABC, a small notebook, pencil or pen, sandwich box, copy of Railway Magazine, camera, and wearing a green anorak would be enough to make it clear you were a railway enthusiast in my spotting days :)

With a bottle of weak lemon drink?

Status
Not open for further replies.