• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is this itinerary really valid? (Ely to Maidstone via Richmond)

Status
Not open for further replies.

freddie1729

Hi,

I'm travelling to Maidstone from Ely and have an Off Peak Return (SVR). I want to visit a friend in Richmond on the way, so I put that in as a via point in trainscanbecheaper to see if there was a way I could do it without having to pay any extra.

I got the following itinerary:
  • Ely - Cambridge
  • Cambridge - London Blackfriars
  • London Blackfriars - London Waterloon (via tube)
  • London Waterloo - Richmond (London)
  • Richmond (London) - Clapham Junction
  • Clapham Junction - London Victoria
  • London Victoria - Maidstone East
Given that I'd be going out of my way and doubling back to get to Richmond, would this be allowed?

Another option could be the Overground via Highbury & Islington but it's quicker to go via Waterloo!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
You wouldn't necessarily be doubling back, nor would you by definition be going "out of your way". Permitted routes are permitted routes though, so if the journey planner identifies the itinerary as following one, then it's permitted.

A comprehensive analysis of permitted routes can also be done although I don't have time right now.

mirodo

Trying to book a ticket on NRE gives the warning that multiple tickets are needed for that journey.

hkstudent

Established Member
Trying to book a ticket on NRE gives the warning that multiple tickets are needed for that journey.
OP needs two via point to make this valid in the NR journey planner, which is Highbury&Islington and Richmond.

Dent

You wouldn't necessarily be doubling back, nor would you by definition be going "out of your way".
It is obviously doubling back between Clapham Junction and Richmond (trains from Waterloo to Richmond pass through Clapham Junction).

It would be hard to argue that getting the tube to Waterloo then travelling to Richmond via Clapham Junction, then back to Clapham Junction again, then to Victoria is not going "out of your way" compared to getting the tube to Victoria in the first place.

JB_B

Established Member
I have to admit I'm stumped by this one - I can't see how it's valid.

Starmill

Veteran Member
It is obviously doubling back between Clapham Junction and Richmond (trains from Waterloo to Richmond pass through Clapham Junction).
It is on that journey, which would have been permitted anyway if they had bought it (as I explained), but it doesn't necessarily mean that doubling back in a way that is not permitted is the only way to get make the journey via Richmond.

However, it seems unlikely indeed that Richmond lies on any permitted routes. Whether or not one is going 'out of one's way' is quite a subjective matter. Some people seem to think that Sheffield to London via Doncaster is going 'out of your way' but it's both permitted and quick so I have never viewed it like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.