• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is this modelled on a real shunter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muzer

Established Member
In Worms Armageddon, a British video game from the late 1990s, there is a map used in one of the missions that looks like this:

http://www.tus-wa.com/maps/1/thumbs1/10722.png (bigger image if you'd like more detail: http://www.tus-wa.com/maps/viewMap/map-10722/ )

In it, we see a diesel shunter with a few distinctive-looking features, in a yellow livery with what looks like a London Underground roundel (though it could also feasibly be a stylisation of the British Railways lion-in-wheel symbol).

Now, I'm curious as to if this is based on a real shunter, or if it's something someone's likely fabricated from their recollection of what they look like. Does anyone have any thoughts?

I've been googling around for a while now, and the closest I've found is Barclay shunter: http://www.philt.org.uk/Industrial/Ind-DE/i-JLz5g3J/0/L/ab578-L.jpg

However, it's not quite right in many ways. Some of the people I was looking with have posted other examples that are closer in some aspects but less close in others.

So, any ideas?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Worms! Fantastic game! (although morphed into 3d it became quite buggy, Hogs of War was the better 3d game!)

We need more trains in video games. (MSTS doesnt count!) Tomb Raider had a level which featured Aldwych underground

Last edited:

trainplan1

Tomb Raider had a level which featured Aldwych underground

Ah yes, the Aldwych with 3 different ticket entrances, escalators and 4 platforms, live running lines and an abandoned sleet loco lookalike...

Pedantics aside they recreated the atmosphere of the tube brilliantly on that level, everything from switch rooms, store rooms, the looks, passageways, the sounds in the background, the near misses with 1959/62 tube stock... ah happy days!

I was surprised when I recently downloaded Zombi on PS4 (originally Zombi-U on WiiU) and found that the start of the game is set in a pretty authentic-looking post-zombie-apocalypse tube station...

(I may add some screenshots to this later when I'm at home later...)

MarkyT

Established Member
Don't know about the shunter but that distant signal is very poorly sighted. It appears to be at right angles to the track on a tight left hand bend and is either not illuminated at all or both lamps are shining with equal intensity. Also the yellow aspect is above the green contrary to normal UK practice. Whoever signed off that design needs sacking!

Muzer

Established Member
Not entirely sure why this thread was moved — the topic of the thread is on identifying a shunter, this isn't really a transport game!

And yeah, that signal doesn't even look particularly signal-like — looks more like a road traffic light to me.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
The shunter looks like a modified Barclay Shunter as said.
Other games with trains that look odd are the 3-bogied Eltrain on GTA3, & the Orca train on Railroad Tycoon 3 you can buy after winning the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.