• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is this the best bargain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requeststop

Last weekend I booked on line a journey on lines I have not done before for travel on a Saturday in June.

I was charged the following

London Victoria to Hastings - single - 3.30 Pounds
Hastings to Ashford - single - 9.55 Pounds

Can anyone better these bargains?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brucey

I once got a London Victoria to Havant advance for £1.25 (with railcard).

Or a Milton Keynes Central to Havant for £3.30 (with railcard).

IanD

Established Member
Last weekend I booked on line a journey on lines I have not done before for travel on a Saturday in June.

Travel by Southen all the way and you can get a Daysaye for £12 (booked a week in advance) or a downlander for £12.50 (2 days in advance). So 85p or 35p cheaper! Plus you'd then be free to travel on the whole Southern network (but not Gatwick Express or maybe also Gatwick Express).

MarkyMarkD

It is a shame that Southeastern do not emulate the Southern Daysave deal. The only (rough and nowhere near as good) equivalent is the Kent Rover ticket which is a 3 day ticket and doesn't even cover all of Southeastern's network (particularly, not the section within Greater London).

paul1609

Established Member

If you didn't want to get out at Hastings, £3.30 advances are also available to Rye (nice little town to visit) where a day single to Ashford is £6.10 with online discount.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It is a shame that Southeastern do not emulate the Southern Daysave deal. The only (rough and nowhere near as good) equivalent is the Kent Rover ticket which is a 3 day ticket and doesn't even cover all of Southeastern's network (particularly, not the section within Greater London).

Apparently Daysave Southeastern has been considered but it doesn't work on the Southeastern network because it would abstract money from the to and fro London market and because South Eastern isn't by and large competing with other TOCs.
Apparently the economics of Southerns Daysave, Downlander and advance products will change considerably with the merger of the Thameslink and Southcentral franchises.

neilmc

How about London Marylebone to Birmingham Moor Street 25p each way? (Chiltern's current offer)

EM2

Established Member
I've done Victoria - Brighton for £3 each way, King's Cross - Edinburgh for £10 and St Pancras - Nottingham return for £14.50 total for two!

lemonic

Nottingham to London St Pancras for £1.20 single in First Class is probably the best bargain I've had!

Robinson

I picked up 2 singles for Marylebone-Birmingham Moor St using the Chiltern offer for the grand total of 50p!

My next best deal would have to be the London Victoria-Southampton Central single which I got for £2.20 by booking online.

dvboy

Established Member
I did Birmingham-London for £3.75 and London-Birmingham for £3 the other week, this was with London Midland's sale.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I did Birmingham-London for £3.75 and London-Birmingham for £3 the other week, this was with London Midland's sale.

Excluding the Chiltern promotional tickets, the best permanent bargain I am aware of is Birmingham to Edinburgh on Virgin Trains for £1 with Megatrain.

All Line Rover

Established Member
+ 50p reservation fee.

It's actually a 50p transaction fee, so technically you could book 50 tickets making the fee only 1p per ticket, but of course the £1 tickets usually sell out within a few hours! It's frustrating, but all part of the fun. ;)

bnm

Established Member
Correct. Multiple bookings only attract a 50p fee. But Megabus/train call it a reservation fee.

ModChod

Excluding the Chiltern promotional tickets, the best permanent bargain I am aware of is Birmingham to Edinburgh on Virgin Trains for £1 with Megatrain.

That's a great deal, and one day I shall be on it (one day!!).

I was quite impressed with the Ashchurch - Torquay single for £7.50 I got, only obtainable with the help of this forum. Made the journey last week, and very nice it was too, along the seawall at Dawlish.

Status
Not open for further replies.