• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is this the new Eurostar :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Not bad, but that livery is hideous! It looks like they've just covered it in Ikea's corporate colours and stuck that nasty new, Essex bling looking "E" logo on it.

Mind you, those 373's are really looking like they've been through the wars now, I saw one come into St Pancras that had a better display of insects on the front of it than the Natural History Museum.

brianthegiant

is it me or do ICEs have a ludicrous number of pantographs, I think I counted 5 on a single ICE set in Gare de l'est a few months back.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
is it me or do ICEs have a ludicrous number of catenarys, I think I counted 5 on a single ICE set in Gare de l'est a few months back.

They are due to the different voltages that ICEs work with. I'm not quite sure why so many are needed but that is the reason.

starrymarkb

Established Member
They are due to the different voltages that ICEs work with. I'm not quite sure why so many are needed but that is the reason.

I believe it's 2x AC (Standard), 2x DC (Bigger to handle higher currents but not suitable for high speeds - both DC Pans will be raised in the Netherlands on 1500V due to the power drawn) and 2x Narrow AC (not sure where these are for - Switzerland?) on a Multisystem (International) ICE Class 406

Edit: I should add that ICEs for Domestic German use only (Class 402 403 and most 401s) have 1 or 2 Pantographs (both AC) - ICE1s that operate into Switzerland have 4 (one German and one Swiss type per power car - voltage is same but Swiss Catnerary is different)

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
It's seems Eurostar are teasing us with the E320's. :lol:

[youtube]ORO05DDLplA[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORO05DDLplA&feature=player_embedded

(Caution, in the unlikely event that my useless college is ever watching - May contain traces of serious Engineering!)

Also, for anyone who's been asking, This article in the Railway Gazette seems reveal that the first set has finnaly entered Refurbishment at last.

Update on new Eurostar trains

18 October 2012

EUROPE: Eurostar provided an update on its £700m fleet investment programme on October 18, saying production of the 10 new Siemens Velaro e320 trainsets at Krefeld which began last year was progressing well.

The first of its existing fleet of high speed trainsets is now undergoing a complete interior refurbishment at SNCF's Hellemmes Technicentre in Lille.

Eurostar said it was on schedule to complete the fleet modernisation project by 2015. The refurbished trains are scheduled to return to service from the second half of next year, and the first e320 is expected to be delivered in 2014 with the rest following rapidly.

Italian design house Pininfarina is responsible for styling both the new and refurbished trainsets.

'The redesign and upgrading of our fleet marks the next phase of our business', said Eurostar Chief Executive Nicolas Petrovic. 'With customers increasingly opting for rail over plane for short-haul journeys across Europe, we want to provide an unrivalled travel experience between the UK and the Continent and to encourage more passengers to choose high speed rail as their preferred option.'

Eurostar reported 'solid' performance in Quarter 3 of 2012, which included the London Olympic Games. At 2·6 million, passenger numbers were 'broadly flat' compared with the same period in 2011. There was a 4% year-on-year increase during the Games period, but a fall in the number of business and leisure passengers in July. Combined with exchange rate movements this resulted in Q3 revenue of £188m being 5% down on last year.
From December 22 to April 13 Eurostar and Lyria are to offer a weekly service between London and Swiss ski resorts. Passengers will change at Lille for Lyria services to Aigle, Martigny, Visp and Brig.

Related News:Reliveried TGV POS spearheads Lyria expansion - 02.10.12Prima II tested in the Channel Tunnel - 01.10.12Channel Tunnel barriers must go - 09.12.11320 km/h train order as Eurostar sets sights on expansion - 07.10.10Eurostar picks Velaro to expand fleet - 01.10.10Eurostar restructuring completed - 02.09.10Eurostar refurbishment design contract awarded - 08.04.09
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/passenger/single-view/view/update-on-new-eurostar-trains.html

Status
Not open for further replies.