• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is This The World’s Best Looking Train With An End Gangway Connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkyT

Established Member
Not on the similar Thunderbirds. Don't forget they have a much larger loading gauge than us- (14ft 8 maximum height) so there is plenty of height to play with.
You may be thinking of the Shinkansen gauge. I understand their conventional lines to have a maximum height of 4100mm which is close to 13ft 6in and very near typical UK dimensions.

A Japanese diagram:

https://ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/車両限界#/media/ファイル:Rolling-Stock-Gauge-in-Japan.svg

Blue: older NG lines
Grey: newer NG lines
Green: Shinkansen

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fowler9

Established Member
They're not the tallest people you know!-

In all seriousness no normal height Westerner can fit in the drivers seat of the series 1 & 2 Shinkansen. Trust me I tried. The same was also the case in some very early Japanese cars.
Yeah fair play. Ha ha.
Not on the similar Thunderbirds. Don't forget they have a much larger loading gauge than us- (14ft 8 maximum height) so there is plenty of height to play with.
Good point.

Three-Nine

The Japanese trains with "cockpits" on top have always been my favourite types! They always look oddly futuristic to me. Heres an image of a Yakumo Limited Express at Okayama station in 2016, formed of 381 series rolling stock.

4glli0.jpg

class387

Established Member
The Japanese trains with "cockpits" on top have always been my favourite types! They always look oddly futuristic to me. Heres an image of a Yakumo Limited Express at Okayama station in 2016, formed of 381 series rolling stock.

4glli0.jpg
I prefer these:

LSEClassicShinjuku640.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.