• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is this voyager going too fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

starrymarkb

Established Member
If it was I'm pretty sure the black box on board would have flagged it. With No sound it's hard to tell if it's speeding or if it's a framerate issue (recorded at 25 played back at 30 for example)

What are you using to film?

table38

Established Member
So if 90 mph is about 40 meters/sec, it would take a 112m 5 car Voyager about 2.8 seconds to pass a fixed point at 90mph, so looks about right to me!

table38

Established Member
I suppose to be totally scientific, you should edit the video down to the points at which it passes the level crossing, then repeat that (say) 10 times, time that, and divide it by ten :)

David Goddard

Established Member
Is there enough info in RealTimeTrains to analyse the sectional timings to get a rough idea of speed?

Recorded a voyager going through Kingsknowe Station, and thought it was going a bit too fast. The speed limit through there is 90, if I'm not mistaken.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnAQnA0doY8

[youtube]hnAQnA0doY8[/youtube]

The rate of coach going past relative to the person seems a bit more than 90, looks like 120. Voyagers coaches are longer than 365's for example. And that going through - the passing coach rate seems faster than that of a 100mph 365.
Or any 100mph train (379. etc)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Kingsknowe looks to be 70mph in either direction, unless I've misread the Sectional Appendix...

Status
Not open for further replies.