• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is train driving an easy job ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leebob34

I just wanted to know what you guys and girls think about your jobs as train drivers and if you believe it's a hard slog or an easy ride . I'm not looking to upset or anger anybody it's just a question ? The question itself is based upon completion of all the training and all the driving hours under instruction and have been passed out ! Will the training give you everything you need to be able to do your job well and know that any problems should arise your be confident in what to do or is there still an Element everyday of worrying and stressing out and praying to get te through the day without any problems .

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
It's easy, we just sit there and push a few buttons or pull a couple of levers!

Jydo

I just wanted to know what you guys and girls think about your jobs as train drivers and if you believe it's a hard slog or an easy ride . I'm not looking to upset or anger anybody it's just a question ? The question itself is based upon completion of all the training and all the driving hours under instruction and have been passed out ! Will the training give you everything you need to be able to do your job well and know that any problems should arise your be confident in what to do or is there still an Element everyday of worrying and stressing out and praying to get te through the day without any problems .

Thanks

There are very few jobs out there which are "easy" and being a Train Driver certainly isnt one of them. You need a specific set of skills & attributes to carry out the job. Its not physically demanding but more mentally challenging. As for worrying about problems and stressing out? I'd imagine that comes with most jobs when you are against the clock with safety at the forefront of your mind, its how you address and deal with the issues and problems thats the key thing here and not so much about worrying if things are gonna happen or not. If you worried too much about whether things would happen or not then It's probably best not to leave the house every morning.

Sorry, Im not a Train Driver so shouldnt really be answering here but I'm pretty sure some Train Drivers would say the same here......

Leebob34

With regards to Jambo and 455 driver ...I knew it !!. Do you have a scattering of biscuits aswell

graycam25

Im a driver , i think getting the position is the hardest thing to do! After that its applying yourself to learn and understand the rules and regulations.

The job itself? fairly easy..... Its when things hit the fan and its what you know when things go pete tong
As many people said: its having the right skillset by being able to keep calm and think fast when needed.

I love the job, i remember jumping through hoops to get the job but all was worth it :)

Aivilo

What I generally tell people is I'm paid for what I know not necessarily what I do

Leebob34

Thanks for the replies .do they not teach you during training how to deal with certain situations ,I know they couldn't possibly teach every outcome but surely you get some sort of procedure to follow when as you say ,the

Gemz91

It's like any job, when things are going right its easy, when things are going wrong it becomes more challenging.

Phil.

Established Member
Physically it's an easy job.
mentally it's a different story. The amount of concentration required can vary but there's no "sit back and take it easy stage" whilst driving. Like all jobs the experienced make it look easy.

Joof

With limited experience and only been in the position a while, my opinion is this.......

It's extremely difficult to secure the job in the first place and I certainly appreciate how lucky I am to have it. The training is ridiculously intense and relentless, so 100% effort is required 100% of the time or so I found. Once that is complete and your deemed competent the job itself is more or less an absolute piece of **** providing things are running relatively smoothly. Odd occasion things go wrong and you have to think fast and take appropriate action. Generally though I think it's steady away. No physical work at all. It's all mental. For me it really is the dream job I wanted it to be.

These are my opinions of course and I'm sure many will argue otherwise

RPM

Established Member
Like most skilled jobs, it looks easy to a layman. The reality is slightly different. On a day to day basis, once you have some experience under your belt, the job is relatively stress free. However there is always an underlying anxiety over messing up. It only takes a moment's loss of concentration but the result could be very harmful to your career. I'm not aware I'm anxious about it, but regular dreams about SPADs etc. suggest otherwise.

I guess it depends on your definition of 'easy'. After 13 years in the grade I still find getting up in the early hours of the morning far from easy. I also find it is a challenge to remain alert and awake when I'm still on shift six of seven hours after an early start. There are strategies that can be used to manage this, but you have to constantly work at it.

A-driver

Established Member
Driving most modern trains is easy-ie making it go and stop. But that isn't the same as being a train driver where the skill is stopping it correctly and dealing with the repetitiveness etc.

Some days when you are doing several trips over the same route stopping at loads of stations in a 10 hour diagram it's very difficult. Fighting the urge to sleep because you started at 4am and have been sitting down since, forcing yourself to focus on what you are doing as your natural 'auto pilot' keeps trying to kick in and cause you to do something silly without fully thinking (like opening the doors the wrong side or failing to stop at a booked station) etc.

I certainly wouldn't say the job is easy. As I say, there is a big difference between driving a train and working as a train driver.

387star

On Moderation
Driving most modern trains is easy-ie making it go and stop. But that isn't the same as being a train driver where the skill is stopping it correctly and dealing with the repetitiveness etc.

Some days when you are doing several trips over the same route stopping at loads of stations in a 10 hour diagram it's very difficult. Fighting the urge to sleep because you started at 4am and have been sitting down since, forcing yourself to focus on what you are doing as your natural 'auto pilot' keeps trying to kick in and cause you to do something silly without fully thinking (like opening the doors the wrong side or failing to stop at a booked station) etc.

I certainly wouldn't say the job is easy. As I say, there is a big difference between driving a train and working as a train driver.[/QUOTE]
Excellent point there

Robcuk

Modern trains makes such a huge difference. Driving a 'K set' compared to a 'Waratah' in Sydney is like being in two different jobs! Your powering and braking points change completely and stopping on the mark and smoothly requires so much more skill.

As others have said working in degraded situations is when you earn your money. When the signals are constantly 'against you' certainly makes you more focused.

TDK

Established Member
By far the most important part of the role is route knowledge and I can't say I know a route 100% comfortably until I have been driving it for at least a year. Getting the job in the first place is the most difficult part. Here is a list below for you to consider.

1. The training is very intense and unless you are good at grasping things you will find it very difficult
2. The shifts are quite demanding and it takes a while to get used to the shift rotation.
3. Retention of knowledge especially route knowledge isn't easy for some people.
4. Maintaining concentration is difficult at times when your mind is on other things.
5. The handling of each train is different even within the same class, some have very sharp brakes where some have softer brakes, this needs to be considered and as a driver you get the feel of a unit after your brake test and first stop.
6. A train driver needs to be conscientious and aware of their surroundings and prevailing conditions and to act on these, it's like a 6th sense.
7. A train driver will always be thinking ahead for instance, if you are following another service it is good to know the stopping pattern of the train in front so as to regulate your speed so not to encounter red signals.

There are many other parameters within the role but yes, it's a doddle :)

red2005

the physical driving of the train (as in making it start and stop) is hardly hod carrying but the training and knowledge required in terms of traction, safety incidents and routes is far from easy.......it's more mentally challenging than physically.......the only real physical challenge for me is turning the alarm off at 01.30 and peeling myself out of bed he he he.

Dieseldriver

Can only echo what other drivers have said here. One other point though is that on top of the challenge of the job is there being no margin for error. Regardless of how monotonous, fatigue inducing, boring or complicated things get, we are expected to perform faultlessly and if we don't, the incident or error will be picked apart and every input from us closely scrutinised. I sometimes feel it is a daunting task to be at the controls of a 400 tonne train conveying up to a thousand people which is why I try not to think too deeply about the responsibility involved.

JAMBO

I wouldn't say the job is easy as such, it's how you approach it. some find it more stressful than others. I enjoy the driving....more often it's the shift times that's the difficult part.

6Gman

Established Member
I wouldn't say the job is easy as such, it's how you approach it. some find it more stressful than others. I enjoy the driving....more often it's the shift times that's the difficult part.

My father was a driver and loved it, BUT ...

a) starting shifts at 03.30 was a challenge!
b) in pre cab radio days, failing on Shap, in the snow, in the dark and having to walk to the nearest signalbox wasn't fun!
c) working a Class 8 freight, 45mph max speed, to Lostock Hall. Getting there at 0400, then sitting in a grotty little mess hut until the first bus into Preston to come home 'on the cushions' ...

Happy days :D

ungreat

I'm coming up soon for 28 years driving...there's never a day where I can relax and drift along. I started as a secondman/driver's assistant with BR at Waterloo and moved around a bit,Hither Green,Leicester,Toton,Kings Cross.
I learned soon,never drop your guard when driving..so easy to **** up! Like what has been said before,it's what you know with this job.
And no,it's not easy.The mental pressure is pretty heavy.

bramling

Veteran Member

Thanks

Some individuals are more suited to the job than others.

It's easy if you are suited to:

1) Being able to learn a lot, and being able to retain a large knowledge of information, much of which is rarely called upon on a daily basis.

2) Working shiftwork and maintaining focus for long periods alone.

3) Able to deal with situations in a logical and safe manner, including when under pressure.

Most of the time the job is easy, but the money is earned on the occasions when the job is difficult.

The job can be made easier by keeping on top of maintaining knowledge and not falling into bad habits.

I'd say the best drivers are those who come to work relaxed, but at the same time know when safety needs to comes first.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.