• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Island Line Diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

03_179

Established Member
Hi all,

Are there such things as the Island Line diagrams ?

Also on an average day in August how many of the units are in use ?

Thanks in advance,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
I think the diagrams are, essentially, two units taking it in turns to run up and down the line. If memory serves correctly, there are only three usable units, and one of them may need some work to get it into a fit state. Someone will be along shortly to amplify/correct as necessary.

We are a long way from seven-car summer extras!

03_179

Established Member
Thanks ... I knew there weren't many units on the island.

Going in August with a mate to clear the line and do the Steam Railway too.

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I think the diagrams are, essentially, two units taking it in turns to run up and down the line. If memory serves correctly, there are only three usable units, and one of them may need some work to get it into a fit state. Someone will be along shortly to amplify/correct as necessary.

We are a long way from seven-car summer extras!

I could be wrong but I believe there are 4 operational units - 483004, 483006, 483007 and 483008.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I could be wrong but I believe there are 4 operational units - 483004, 483006, 483007 and 483008.
A summary agreeing with that was posted last week in the main Island Line discussion:
004 is in the worst external condition with large parts of rust showing on the roof, but been advised it is the most reliable.
006 & 008 pretty decent although the roofs are a bit more grey than white.
007 was being refurbished last year and still awaiting confirmation if it has returned back to service yet.
002 and 009 stored out of service.

https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...te-and-the-future.154219/page-50#post-3977335

Tony2

I'm at Ryde just now, 483006 and 483008 are working services today. 483004 is serviceable at St Johns but not in use today, although it did have a short run up to the depot headshunt!
483002 raptor is withdrawn with 483009 on an adjacent line at St Johns. 483007 is visible in St Johns shed when the shed door opens.

03_179

Established Member
Thanks for all the info everyone :)

I d/l the pdf timetable off of the South Western Railway site and used Real Time Trains to add the headcodes to the Saturday Timetable (they are all pretty straight forward). So unless there is a swap out or I'm missing something there appears to be only two diagrams on a Saturday.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Thanks for all the info everyone :)

I d/l the pdf timetable off of the South Western Railway site and used Real Time Trains to add the headcodes to the Saturday Timetable (they are all pretty straight forward). So unless there is a swap out or I'm missing something there appears to be only two diagrams on a Saturday.

That's correct, only two diagrams.

Birdbrain

They do swap the units during the day. The other day I was at Ryde St John’s and boarded a southbound service that started from the bay platform, rare track. Passengers from the pier head had to transfer sets. You might get lucky! This was about 3pm

Status
Not open for further replies.