• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Island Line Railway - current state and the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I'm frequently angered that onward train services are no longer available to various destinations, even though the rail link went some time ago. Leigh Lancs is a frequent one for me.

The Leigh Guided Busway with its new Vantage-branded double-deck buses runs to a limited stop high frequency service V1 timetable from the Manchester core area direct into Leigh bus station which is central to the town centre. It utilises the provided bus lanes on the East Lancashire Road in addition to the actual guided Busway and has intermediate stops that meet the needs of those in areas that the original railway never did serve. It has a bus stop outside Salford Crescent railway station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The Leigh Guided Busway with its new Vantage-branded double-deck buses runs to a limited stop high frequency service V1 timetable from the Manchester core area direct into Leigh bus station which is central to the town centre. It utilises the provided bus lanes on the East Lancashire Road in addition to the actual guided Busway and has intermediate stops that meet the needs of those in areas that the original railway never did serve. It has a bus stop outside Salford Crescent railway station.

There is at least, still a good train service as far as Atherton.

Chris125

Established Member
I have once used buses on the IoW but it was in 1996 and experience of buses elsewhere in the country tells me that buses everywhere but London have got significantly worse since then. In 1996 our journey (from Sandown to the Needles) required a change in Newport that involved changing bus stops from one street to another with almost no helpful signage in place.

Around a decade back bus services on the Island were completely re-mapped to make them simpler and more reliable - all journeys through Newport now require a change at the rebuilt bus station.

Alas new retail units took precedence, with the bus station stuffed into the remaining space behind - the result is a poor layout that's confusing for inexperienced users and really hard to move around when busy due to some ridiculous bottlenecks. A complete screw-up unfortunately with no easy remedy.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
One thing is noticeable about TfL - bus stations are grandiose and prominent, not tucked behind shops or removed completely as if they were some form of embarrassment.

Mind you, given that the office of London Mayor is near enough an elected TfL chief, that demonstrates how the issue of passenger transport dwarfs almost any other issue in London. Shame it is not so elsewhere.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I had a go at that. On the day concerned punctuality was way off, and the aircon/blowers had failed (or the drivers weren't turning them on) on several of the buses, meaning an unpleasant damp atmosphere and no doubt the looming "smell of wee" (which is actually a smell of damp in the upholstery).

A typical First half-job, and no match even for a half-hourly Pacer.

OTOH, Southern Vectis is a rather more professional outfit in my experience than First Manchester. And my experience on the primarily Stagecoach Cambridge busway was much better.

Dougal2345

Crikey, that sounds absolutely hideous, pounding along on a double decker for miles. And I've just been to look at some pictures - the word 'cramped' for the bus interiors would be a kind description.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Crikey, that sounds absolutely hideous, pounding along on a double decker for miles. And I've just been to look at some pictures - the word 'cramped' for the bus interiors would be a kind description.

The interiors are nice enough and the ride isn't bad. The problem is that First can never see a plan through properly, and so they have most of the disadvantages of existing buses.

A railway or Metrolink extension would really have been better.

Dougal2345

The interiors are nice enough and the ride isn't bad. The problem is that First can never see a plan through properly, and so they have most of the disadvantages of existing buses.

A railway or Metrolink extension would really have been better.
Yes, at the end of the day, a bus on a busway is still a bus. Maybe it gets from A to B a bit quicker than an 'unguided' bus, but it's still not a way I would choose to travel...

So should the Isle of Wight be dreaming of a transport future that looks like this:

JS86441348.jpg

...or like this?

Class-700-interiorJPG.jpg

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Apart from that showing yet another case of the driver not being bothered to turn the demisters/aircon on on the V1 (clearly a problem there, then), is there much comfort difference between that bus and a Class 700? :D

BTW have you tried the Cambridgeshire busway? It genuinely has the feel of a decently redone Pacer (an ePacer, say) on a country branch line, it's actually quite pleasant.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Apart from that showing yet another case of the driver not being bothered to turn the demisters/aircon on on the V1 (clearly a problem there, then), is there much comfort difference between that bus and a Class 700? :D

BTW have you tried the Cambridgeshire busway? It genuinely has the feel of a decently redone Pacer (an ePacer, say) on a country branch line, it's actually quite pleasant.

So no overhead luggage racks then !

yorksrob

Veteran Member
By a seemingly flight of creative logic, could one therefore claim that a bus body on a rail chassis is still a bus?

For a bus body on a railway chassis, one doesn't have the difficulty of trying to work out whether you're at the right stop or not for starters.

Chris M

For a bus body on a railway chassis, one doesn't have the difficulty of trying to work out whether you're at the right stop or not for starters.
This is another example of where London has got things right. The iBus system announcing stops is (mostly*) excellent, but even if it were applied to many country routes it wouldn't outweigh the many other disadvantages buses have over trains for comparable journeys.
*It announces my stop too late though, so if someone presses the button a couple of seconds after the announcement (far from unreasonable reaction time) the driver has to really slam on the anchors to stop in time from 20-30mph (the road is officially 20mph but everyone treats it like the 30 limit it used to be and still looks and feels like it is).

Clip

Established Member
The same bus runs to Ryde Esplanade, most people will do that rather than changing. Walking up the pier really isn't that unpleasant and a lot of people do - after all, people like walking on piers at seaside resorts for no reason, even when the weather is a bit rubbish.

Ill take your word on most people but if they do then it shows there could be a viable service for reinstatement

Rick1984

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I had a go at that. On the day concerned punctuality was way off, and the aircon/blowers had failed (or the drivers weren't turning them on) on several of the buses, meaning an unpleasant damp atmosphere and no doubt the looming "smell of wee" (which is actually a smell of damp in the upholstery).

I have made quite a number of journeys from the Manchester city core both to Leigh on the V1 service and to Atherton on the V2 service and never had the same problems that you report.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This is where reality raises its head and where the omnibus services of Southern Vectis that have oft been decried on this thread suddenly seem quite a good alternative mode of public transport

I don't get why anyone decries them - they are quite possibly (if slightly pricey) the best rural bus network in the world.

A0wen

On Moderation
Let's see what sort of bus first! Unfortunately I'm not in Ryde.

It will be a minibus of some description I expect - probably a Transit or similar, if only because the pier has weight restrictions on it. And a Transit could shuttle up and down all day taking a few passengers at a time - it's unlikely to get swamped if it's running like that.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It will be a minibus of some description I expect - probably a Transit or similar, if only because the pier has weight restrictions on it. And a Transit could shuttle up and down all day taking a few passengers at a time - it's unlikely to get swamped if it's running like that.

If the railway closed, a minibus-sized electric vehicle (or two, so one can be charging at any given time and both could be used at really busy times) would be ideal.

Chris M

I don't get why anyone decries [Southern Vectis] - they are quite possibly (if slightly pricey) the best rural bus network in the world.
Today.
The problem with bus services in this country is that there is virtually no meaningful regulation, so there is no guarantee that what is a good service today may even be operating tomorrow. Indeed less than a fortnight ago a bus company in Somerset literally closed its doors overnight with no notice what so ever (see below). AIUI the only penalties that could potentially be imposed are prohibiting the owner running another bus company.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...y-somerset-blunt-note-workforce-a8033246.html
A bus company boss fired his entire workforce with a blunt note telling them: "F**k it... I cannot work with you a moment longer."

Managing director Sydney Hardy shut down Somerset firm Nippy Bus with immediate effect and told staff, thought to include his own daughter, he wanted to "pursue my dream of not having to work here".

The sudden closure left 27 drivers out of work and affected 300 children whose school bus service was cancelled with no notice.
find replacement operators at the last minute to get the pupils to and from lessons.

Mr Hardy, 57, had run Nippy Bus for 13 years from the company's headquarters in Martock, a village near Yeovil.

In a message to staff through the company's internal memo system, he wrote: "There is a difference between giving up and knowing when you have had enough. I have had enough and realise I cannot work with you, the people I employ, a moment longer.

"There comes a time in any relationship when you just have to say 'F*** it', say goodbye and move on. This is my time! I am quitting to pursue my dream of not having to work here."
A bus company boss fired his entire workforce with a blunt note telling them: "F**k it... I cannot work with you a moment longer."

Managing director Sydney Hardy shut down Somerset firm Nippy Bus with immediate effect and told staff, thought to include his own daughter, he wanted to "pursue my dream of not having to work here".

The sudden closure left 27 drivers out of work and affected 300 children whose school bus service was cancelled with no notice.

Local schools and colleges were left rushing to find replacement operators at the last minute to get the pupils to and from lessons.

Mr Hardy, 57, had run Nippy Bus for 13 years from the company's headquarters in Martock, a village near Yeovil.

In a message to staff through the company's internal memo system, he wrote: "There is a difference between giving up and knowing when you have had enough. I have had enough and realise I cannot work with you, the people I employ, a moment longer.

"There comes a time in any relationship when you just have to say 'F*** it', say goodbye and move on. This is my time! I am quitting to pursue my dream of not having to work here."

He said "all staff should consider themselves dismissed/redundant", adding: "The gates are now closed and will not open so you can can stay in your scratchers Monday and have a lie in."

A brief note on the firm's website said it had ceased operating with immediate effect. It added: "The company has appointed agents who will now work to release the company's assets and discharge its liabilities."

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If the railway closed, a minibus-sized electric vehicle (or two, so one can be charging at any given time and both could be used at really busy times) would be ideal.

Minibuses are out of gauge for the pier currently. There are goalposts to prevent anything larger than a car based van.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Minibuses are out of gauge for the pier currently. There are goalposts to prevent anything larger than a car based van.

If they are going to be running one, I guess that will need to change. Looks like a 6' 6" height barrier to me, though, you can get things like 9 seater VWs under that.

What is presently the weight limit? It's a bit hard to read on Google Street View.

For a 10mph speed limit something custom like a modified electric golf buggy could be built.

DelW

Established Member
I don't get why anyone decries them - they are quite possibly (if slightly pricey) the best rural bus network in the world.
They do provide a good service over much of the island, but they are not a good substitute for the trains between Pier Head, Esplanade, IoWSR, or the south eastern resorts. The reasons include pier weight limits, roundabout routes, and traffic congestion.
You'd need a lot more than two minibuses at busy times, the 2-car 38 stock trains are often full and standing to near Northern Line levels in the summer.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If they are going to be running one, I guess that will need to change. Looks like a 6' 6" height barrier to me, though, you can get things like 9 seater VWs under that.

What is presently the weight limit? It's a bit hard to read on Google Street View.

For a 10mph speed limit something custom like a modified electric golf buggy could be built.

You'd need quite a few to deal with a fully laden fast cat?

Rick1984

I agree these aren't suitable replacement ideas. If you did close the line which I'm against surely done sort of tram the same size as the train running on the train tracks would make more sense

Status
Not open for further replies.