• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Island Line Railway - current state and the future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Quite - probably best if the poster of these questions puts the crayons away now.

I must regretfully concur. A couple of years ago, I made an OP in "Railway History and Nostalgia" (thread " 'Fantasy Department' -- an Isle of Wight one", commenced 30 / 8 / 2016) -- as per title, pure fantasy and wish-fulfilment, involving the whole IOW system save only Merstone -- Sandown and Brading -- Bembridge, surviving (by whatever unspecified means) up to the present day, worked largely by 84*** type 2-6-2Ts, adapted for Island conditions -- as was briefly contemplated by BR circa 1960. Cannot but feel that our poster's notion of extensive expansion of the present Island Line on to closed sections, is even less likely !

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
As this thread has just received a request for a link to it, in another more currently running thread, where Class 230 units are the fulcrum point of discussion, it would be useful to receive any new information, if any, on how the TOC themselves actually regard future operational and technical matters on the Island Line.

Journeyman

Established Member
As this thread has just received a request for a link to it, in another more currently running thread, where Class 230 units are the fulcrum point of discussion, it would be useful to receive any new information, if any, on how the TOC themselves actually regard future operational and technical matters on the Island Line.

I don't think anything new has been made public recently.

I was on the Island last month, and was actually quite pleasantly surprised by the current state of the rolling stock - it seems a bit smarter than it was a couple of years ago, certainly internally at least.

fgwrich

Established Member
I don't think anything new has been made public recently.

I was on the Island last month, and was actually quite pleasantly surprised by the current state of the rolling stock - it seems a bit smarter than it was a couple of years ago, certainly internally at least.

Has any improvement's been made to the track work of late? On a visit to the island last year, it was becoming quite apparent that the track work south of Ryde St Johns was in dire need of some attention. It's considerably bouncy along that stretch!

sikejsudjek

Has any improvement's been made to the track work of late? On a visit to the island last year, it was becoming quite apparent that the track work south of Ryde St Johns was in dire need of some attention. It's considerably bouncy along that stretch!

They could advertise it as the Island's 'Alton Towers' experience ! Awful track quality. Are they still running at 50mph ? If it was a heritage line the ORR would have shut it down by now....

Chris125

Established Member
I noted 45mph on my most recent trip last month; the ride quality didn't seem all that atrocious to me.

It's not too bad at the moment, the TSR through Smallbrook is gone and they seem to have fettled some of the areas prone to movement.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
They could advertise it as the Island's 'Alton Towers' experience ! Awful track quality. Are they still running at 50mph ? If it was a heritage line the ORR would have shut it down by now....

Linespeed and the 483s are both 45mph max.

No idea if it has ever been higher though.

K.o.R

Went on Easter Monday. The roofs on most of the units are in a terrible state. Looks like they're down to 3 operational and 2 languishing in St John's Road depot.

All the talk of reinstating the loop at Brading to allow more trains to run, but they wouldn't have enough to actually do it!

Tony2

I'm thinking of visiting the line soon, could you advise which units you saw running and which are visible at St Johns? Thanks.

Went on Easter Monday. The roofs on most of the units are in a terrible state. Looks like they're down to 3 operational and 2 languishing in St John's Road depot.

All the talk of reinstating the loop at Brading to allow more trains to run, but they wouldn't have enough to actually do it!

K.o.R

I'm thinking of visiting the line soon, could you advise which units you saw running and which are visible at St Johns? Thanks.

Oh heck, I wasn't paying that close attention. I think 7 and 4 were running, 6 was sitting in the platform at RYR, one with "Raptor" on its name plate was gutted at the depot and one was on the siding behind it.

Tony2

Thanks, Raptor is 002, out of use for many years now.
Oh heck, I wasn't paying that close attention. I think 7 and 4 were running, 6 was sitting in the platform at RYR, one with "Raptor" on its name plate was gutted at the depot and one was on the siding behind it.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

The idea behind that is to run the service at 30/30 instead of 20/40, so it's the same number of trains, just more evenly spaced.

Personally I think they should do 30/30 in the winter and 20/20/20 between Easter and October. The present 40 minute gap has got to be a deterrent to travel.

K.o.R

The idea behind that is to run the service at 30/30 instead of 20/40, so it's the same number of trains, just more evenly spaced.

Personally I think they should do 30/30 in the winter and 20/20/20 between Easter and October. The present 40 minute gap has got to be a deterrent to travel.

All of those things. If you make it available, they will come. While we're at it, a frequent shuttle between the pier head and esplanade wouldn't come amiss.

Come to think of it, decent foot crossings at the crossover stations would make life a lot easier.

hwl

Established Member

Agreed and they might have to lenghten the new units with a summer 20min interval too.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Agreed and they might have to lengthen the new units with a summer 20min interval too.

The 230s have quite a lot of extra capacity compared to the 483s even in 2 car format but yes, I think 3 car would be the way to go.

K.o.R

5 shiny new (...ish) trains to handle a 20-minute timetable would be a welcome sight.

Seaeagle

When I went just before Easter, I had 006 and 008

andyc20050

004 is in the worst external condition with large parts of rust showing on the roof, but been advised it is the most reliable.
006 & 008 pretty decent although the roofs are a bit more grey than white.
007 was being refurbished last year and still awaiting confirmation if it has returned back to service yet.
002 and 009 stored out of service.

Chris125

Established Member
Gauging professional Gareth Dennis has made some interesting comments on twitter: https://twitter.com/GarethDennis/status/1121055592171356161

"...the dynamically modelled Class 230 vehicles "fit" (i.e. can be gauge-cleared) without a problem.... A little cosy here and there, but the only thing stopping them running is the Solent!"

"The tunnel is flatly not an issue. Platform gauging always requires a bit of work, and there are two minor overbridges that get tight enough to warrant a closer look, but not a thing that would worry me, and I have to live and breathe this stuff."

"(and I ran this using data that precedes the recent physical work that "may or may not" have been done to make sure they definitely fit anyway)"

Last edited:

pompeyfan

Established Member
So why is the Solent stopping them from running? I know when there’s a high tide and a heavy swell they knock the service on the head at the Esplanade but that doesn’t happen all that often.

Doomotron

So why is the Solent stopping them from running? I know when there’s a high tide and a heavy swell they knock the service on the head at the Esplanade but that doesn’t happen all that often.
I think it was a joke (as in getting the trains over).

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Gauging professional Gareth Dennis has made some interesting comments on twitter: https://twitter.com/GarethDennis/status/1121055592171356161

"...the dynamically modelled Class 230 vehicles "fit" (i.e. can be gauge-cleared) without a problem.... A little cosy here and there, but the only thing stopping them running is the Solent!"

"The tunnel is flatly not an issue. Platform gauging always requires a bit of work, and there are two minor overbridges that get tight enough to warrant a closer look, but not a thing that would worry me, and I have to live and breathe this stuff."

"(and I ran this using data that precedes the recent physical work that "may or may not" have been done to make sure they definitely fit anyway)"

Sounds like a good solution then. Hopefully though, they would be converted to third rail, rather than diesel.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Sounds like a good solution then. Hopefully though, they would be converted to third rail, rather than diesel.
Suggested that maybe 3rd rail charging at termini (small generators) and possibly Brading, as the existing electrical infrastructure is in need of desperate renewal.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Wightlink and Red Funnel can both be pretty accommodating for the right price. I think the units would be ideal for the line. A mix between battery and 3rd rail running in 3 car formations should do fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.