• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Island Line Upgrade Rail Replacement Bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seehof

Can anybody explain to me how the replacement bus service works? I am asking on behalf of an active but slow 80 year old going across early next month:
When the ferry arrives at Ryde Pier head are there enough minibuses or is there a rush and queues form waiting for the vehicles to return and shuttle up and down? Is the change in Ryde itself easy on to the Shanklin bus. What happens if you miss the Shanklin bus due to queues or delays - do they have spare vehicles or is it just tough luck and you have to wait for the next one? The one thing this elderly person cannot do is rush!
Do you have to book the ferry as a foot passenger? This person is retired BR staff with free travel on Wightlink and insists that as such they never need to book!
Is the whole process working well or are there problems and complaints?

Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pompeyfan

Established Member
Can anybody explain to me how the replacement bus service works? I am asking on behalf of an active but slow 80 year old going across early next month:
When the ferry arrives at Ryde Pier head are there enough minibuses or is there a rush and queues form waiting for the vehicles to return and shuttle up and down? Is the change in Ryde itself easy on to the Shanklin bus. What happens if you miss the Shanklin bus due to queues or delays - do they have spare vehicles or is it just tough luck and you have to wait for the next one? The one thing this elderly person cannot do is rush!
Do you have to book the ferry as a foot passenger? This person is retired BR staff with free travel on Wightlink and insists that as such they never need to book!
Is the whole process working well or are there problems and complaints?

Thank you

I believe reservations are mandatory on Wightlink currently due to the virus, their booking office would be able to advise further and I would strongly advise contacting them.

Their number is 0333 999 7333

I’m unable to answer anything else

E759

I travelled to/from The Island Friday 4/6 and Saturday 5/6, this is my experience:

- Wightlink ticket offices at both ends are CLOSED
- Wightlink tickets need to be purchased online and either shown on your phone or printed before travel
- Wightlink tickets must be booked for a specific ferry service. However, I travelled on a different ferry and was allowed on as there was sufficient capacity
- On the Saturday, despite the glorious weather, loadings were way down from what you would expect
- Ferry ever hour, so if arriving by train and it's a tight connection and the train is delayed it's a long wait
- At Pier Head absolutely no sign of mini-buses. 99% of people took the long walk. I saw one couple scatching their heads and wondering what to do
- At Esplanade I went to the Island Line Booking office to buy my rail ticket (Esplanade to Smallbrook Junction) but there was a long queue. As my Rail Replacement Bus (RRB) was due to depart soon I used the TVM (and was able to buy my ticket for the next day too)
- I went to the Island Information and asked where my RRB departed from. The Smallbrook Junction AKA Havenstreet bus departs from near the Information office on the main road
- The only identification on my bus was Not in Service...
- No idea where the Shanklin RRB bus departs from but I did see one down near the Hoverport
- Only one Havenstreet bus, everyone got on, including a wheelchair
- The bus driver accepted a few people without Rail tickets
- On Saturday I heard a rumour that the bosses decided to change the bus timetable at short notice; but forgot to tell the drivers...
- Many people I spoke to said they'd travelled on Southern Vectis and avoided the RRB

Suggest ringing Wightlink to establish how to travel on the Ferry with your free pass
Suggest you ring SWR to establish when and how the Pier minibus works (I never saw one myself)
Suggest having a backup plan for the RRB, i.e. Southern Vectis
Suggest you consider a taxi from Pier Head to Shanklin

I wish you good luck. It's worth jumping through the hoops but have a backup plan for each journey leg in case things don't work.

DelW

Established Member
My experience travelling last autumn (when the railway was closed north of St John's) mirrors that of E759 above...
No sign of a minibus, either at Pier Head or while walking down the pier.
On reaching Esplanade, no sign of an RRB, or where to catch it. One of our group asked at the ticket office and was directed to the roadside in front of the bus station. When we found the right place there was a small and inconspicuous sign, but no bus.
The RRB arrived about 10 - 15 minutes later, loaded up, and crawled through the backstreets to St John's. Arrival there was about 40 minutes from Pier Head (including the wait at Esplanade), and with hindsight we could have walked the whole way quicker.
At St John's, the train was evidently due to leave, and the guard was whistling and shouting at everyone to run over the footbridge or they'd be left behind. One of our group only caught the train because I held the front door open as he ran down the platform.
No Island Line staff were visible anywhere, other than the train crew.
The whole business was such a faff, and waste of our limited time on the island, that on the way back we chipped in to share a taxi back to the ferry instead. Again we saw no sign of a minibus on the pier.
I'd suggest your friend should be sure to have a well charged mobile phone with local taxi numbers saved on it. It might well be needed.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
I think the idea is that the taxis go to the Pier Head taking passengers leaving the island to the cat and then return with arriving passengers: I think the cat is due to be at Ryde XX.37-XX.45. It is possible that they don’t get to the Pier Head until after most of the passengers have disembarked.

At Esplanade the taxis seem to sit near the entrance to the pier, but the Shanklin RRP bus now goes from the Esplanade itself beyond the end of bus station; the RRP to the steam railway seems to go from in front of the bus station. I don’t know if the taxis take passengers all the way to the bus or you have to walk through the bus station and beyond. I think the buses run at XX.27 and XX.57, and I don’t think there are any reliefs: one bus per departure. Miss that and you have to wait for the next. It shouldn’t normally take more than five minutes to St Johns Road.

Booking is compulsory on the Cats, but they will carry unbooked passengers if they have not reached capacity, which is seriously reduced. On Bank Holiday Monday there was a small notice saying that the 15/16/17/18.45 sailings were fully booked. It seems that you can book a place if travelling on a rail ticket, although it sounds a bit of a rigmarole.

So far it appears to be a shambles.

I will be there tomorrow, so add a post if you have any queries.

Seehof

Thanks to all again. I have had feedback from the elderly lady and her companion. If there is no minibus at the pier head they will walk to the bus station and try to find the rail replacement bus or failing that Southern Vectis bus 2 or 3 to Shanklin. The companion, who does not have a English pensioner’s bus pass has asked me if there is a 7 or 5 day bus pass that covers all the buses including the tourist Breezer, Coaster buses etc. I have looked at SV’s website but nowhere that I can find does it explain whether their 5 or 7 day buses include their services. Thanks again to all. Can someone enlighten me, please. Thank you

Gloster

Established Member
Thanks to all again. I have had feedback from the elderly lady and her companion. If there is no minibus at the pier head they will walk to the bus station and try to find the rail replacement bus or failing that Southern Vectis bus 2 or 3 to Shanklin. The companion, who does not have a English pensioner’s bus pass has asked me if there is a 7 or 5 day bus pass that covers all the buses including the tourist Breezer, Coaster buses etc. I have looked at SV’s website but nowhere that I can find does it explain whether their 5 or 7 day buses include their services. Thanks again to all. Can someone enlighten me, please. Thank you
Seven day Freedom ticket is £27 and is (I think) valid on the tourist buses. However, I don’t think that the National Concessionary Pass is valid on the tourist ones. I will ask tomorrow.

Seehof

Thank you. Could you check, please, for definite about the validity of the Freedom ticket on the tourist buses as well if you have time. Thank you very much, Gloster.

James Wake

I can answer pretty much every question

yes - a Freedom ticket is valid on all SV special routes which are Needles Breezer, Downs Breezer, Shanklin Shuttle and Island Coaster, the concessionary pass holder can buy a day ticket just for those routes by presenting their pass which is £7 a day. You can get a week freedom for £25 if you download the mobile app

My friend uses the catamaran and replacement taxis regularly, they are usually just outside the Pier Head terminal, as you come off the catamaran you’re forced right into car park, walk around the building and there should be one or two there. They are 6-7 seater cabs, so a bit of a step up into them, similar to a black cab in London. They’ll drop you at the end of the Pier alongside the bus station

The rail replacement buses to Shanklin tend to leave from bay H or the two parking spaces next to it by the footbridge which leads over the railway line to the hovercraft terminal. They currently during the day run every half an hour at 27 and 57 past the hour

SV Routes 2 and 3 provide a 15 min service between them between Ryde and Shanklin, taking slightly different routes, only the 3 serves Shanklin Station and if going to the old village it’s easier to get a 3 too, so check where they are going to work out best option. The 2 and 3 depart from Bay C (2) and D (3) in the bus station so stay around there and you’ll naturally see which route is leaving first, they are next door to each other those bays

hope all that helps any more questions feel free to ask

James Wake

And to add I was able to use the catamaran a few weeks ago on two sailings in a day with no reservation, but for peace of mind might be worth it

Seehof

James, thank you very much. When they return I will write up a quick note as to their experiences with all this.

Seehof

Sorry to be a pain but I have been asked to confirm that the 7 day freedom ticket/pass is valid on the ordinary buses as well. If somebody could answer me that, please. The SV website is not clear at all - thank you.

Gloster

Established Member
Freedom pass is valid on all Southern Vectis buses, except (possibly) the school buses, but they aren’t open to the general public.

Gloster

Established Member
According to Esplanade Booking Office the taxis stop out on the parking area at Pier Head; there should be a notice of some sort indicating where to wait. There ought to be a taxi waiting to meet the ferry, but if not one should turn up before long; if necessary, they will make several runs.

At the Esplanade the taxis unload at the end adjacent to the entrance to the Pier, although they might take a passenger with limited mobility to near the RRB (only ‘might’, I am afraid). Otherwise you have to walk all the way through the bus station: it is still not clear if the buses depart from the parking area at the far end of the bus station, or from a further fifty yards along the Esplanade. (What they said and what I see doesn’t tally up.) NB. The bus out on the Esplanade alongside the bus station is the Steam Railway connection. They are supposed to have three guards booked on each day to act as passenger assistance at Esplanade, although I have not spotted one yet. It is possible that they are not visible amongst Southern Vectis’ HV-jacketed staff.

The seven-day Freedom pass is available on all regular buses and all four tourist services. It can be bought from the driver or, slightly more cheaply, via an app.

The £7 Concessionary fare for tourist buses is apparently available for all over-60 passengers; you can buy it on board and you (seemingly) don’t need to show your concessionary card (unless, presumably, you look much younger than sixty). It is valid on all four tourist buses and on regular services. It is valid for 24-hours and, it seems, it is the last boarding that counts, so you could board the Island Coaster five minutes before the twenty-four hours runs out and go all the way round.

This from asking several drivers as Ryde Information was closed by the time I got there.

Veteran Member
ited mobility to near the RRB (only ‘might’, I am afraid). Otherwise you have to walk all the way through the bus station: it is still not clear if the buses depart from the parking area at the far end of the bus station, or from a further fifty yards along the Esplanade.
As of Monday afternoon, the Shanklin RRBs were at the East end of the bus station with a whiteboard sign.
The £7 Concessionary fare for tourist buses is apparently available for all over-60 passengers; you can buy it on board and you (seemingly) don’t need to show your concessionary card (unless, presumably, you look much younger than sixty). It is valid on all four tourist buses and on regular services.
I bought one this morning and wasn't asked for ID. However, the printed and website info says on the tourist buses (only).

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
As of Monday afternoon, the Shanklin RRBs were at the East end of the bus station with a whiteboard sign.
And this afternoon (Tuesday) the RRB appeared to be leaving from further along the Esplanade. The whiteboard sign has been there for some days and is, I think, the same one that stood at the proper stand before the Downs Breezer took it over.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
I asked in the Southern Vectis information office at the bus station and got effectively the same answers as given above. The only difference was that the girl thought you had to show your National Concessionary Card when buying the £7 ticket for the tourist routes.

It should be noted that the National Concessionary Card is not valid before 09.30 on Mondays to Fridays. It is also not valid after 23.00, should they want to go out on the razzle.

The Southern Vectis information office is in the bus station and open 09.00-15.00 (with a lunch break). There are printed timetables just inside the door.

Still no clarity about where the RRB starts from.

I forgot to clear up the point of whether the £7 ticket is tourist buses only or if it also includes the normal stage services. I will ask tomorrow, as long as I remember.

James Wake

I asked in the Southern Vectis information office at the bus station and got effectively the same answers as given above. The only difference was that the girl thought you had to show your National Concessionary Card when buying the £7 ticket for the tourist routes.

It should be noted that the National Concessionary Card is not valid before 09.30 on Mondays to Fridays. It is also not valid after 23.00, should they want to go out on the razzle.

The Southern Vectis information office is in the bus station and open 09.00-15.00 (with a lunch break). There are printed timetables just inside the door.

Still no clarity about where the RRB starts from.

I forgot to clear up the point of whether the £7 ticket is tourist buses only or if it also includes the normal stage services. I will ask tomorrow, as long as I remember.

The last question I answered in my post, it is only for the tourist buses the £7 ticket. And I believe you should show your concessionary pass when buying it just to make sure

Gloster

Established Member
The last question I answered in my post, it is only for the tourist buses the £7 ticket. And I believe you should show your concessionary pass when buying it just to make sure
This is the problem. On these two points some members of Southern Vectis staff are saying one thing and others are saying something different.

Gloster

Established Member
I spoke to the woman in the Southern Vectis information office, who is the most likely to have the correct information.

You should show your National Concessionary Pass when buying the £7 ticket for the four tourist services.

The £7 ticket is valid on all four tourist services, but is NOT valid on regular stage services.

Contrary to previous information, the £7 ticket is only valid on day of issue: it is not a 24-hour ticket. It can be used on more than one of the tourist services on the one day.

Sorry about all the different information. It is clear the SV doesn’t keep its drivers properly informed.

Veteran Member
I spoke to the woman in the Southern Vectis information office, who is the most likely to have the correct information.

Contrary to previous information, the £7 ticket is only valid on day of issue: it is not a 24-hour ticket. It can be used on more than one of the tourist services on the one day.

Sorry about all the different information. It is clear the SV doesn’t keep its drivers properly informed.
Or, in this case, its information office staff? The ticket itself shows 24h validity (consistent with the company's other rover products).

Gloster

Established Member
Hopefully a definitive answer: the £7 concessionary fare for the four tourist services is valid for 24-hours, not just on the day. (After I asked her on Thursday, the woman in the information office rang up the main office to check. When she saw me hanging around on the concourse, she came out of the office and told me what she had been told. It used to be valid on the day of issue only.)

The RRB to Shanklin should go from the far end of the bus station, i.e. within it but right at the end where Southern Vectis used to park up spare vehicles. (It seems that when Southern Vectis took back the stand that the RRB had used to use it for the Downs Breezer, some of the RRB drivers weren’t properly informed of the new arrangements.)

richw

Veteran Member
You should show your National Concessionary Pass when buying the £7 ticket for the four tourist services.
This is incorrect.
If the service does not accept the concessionary pass, it is not permitted to recognise it in any form, including to offer discounts.
The £7 discount ticket is available to all passengers 60 and over regardless of concession pass

Gloster

Established Member
This is incorrect.
If the service does not accept the concessionary pass, it is not permitted to recognise it in any form, including to offer discounts.
The £7 discount ticket is available to all passengers 60 and over regardless of concession pass
The £7 ticket is supposedly available to anyone over 60, but I was just including the reference to showing the pass as a simple way for the intending visitor to prove eligibility. The whole thing seems to have become a case of an attempt to simplify everything has made it more complicated.

richw

Veteran Member
The £7 ticket is supposedly available to anyone over 60, but I was just including the reference to showing the pass as a simple way for the intending visitor to prove eligibility. The whole thing seems to have become a case of an attempt to simplify everything has made it more complicated.
Fair enough. By the letter of the rules they aren’t allowed to use the pass for evidence of any form of eligibility. The rules Basically make it non existent except for on eligible journeys!

Status
Not open for further replies.