• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Island Line Upgrade updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris125

Established Member
The line is currently running from Ryde St John to Shanklin at the moment because of engineering works, I took the opportunity to observe the track works between Island Line and IOW Steam, they are very close to each other, an engineering link between the two can resolve logistical issues including stock transfers.

Have you spotted what they're up to between St Johns and Pier Head? If it's trackwork they are probably using the worksite opposite the IW Bus Museum again.

Last edited:

Vespa

Established Member
Have you spotted what they're up to between St Johns and Pier Head? If it's trackwork they are probably using the worksite opposite the IW Bus Museum again.
Not yet that's the plan later in the day.

For now the trains are stopping on the Shaklin bound platform at Ryde St John.

Gloster

Established Member
Apparently the work was originally delayed until 14.00 Saturday because of the storm(*), but later cancelled altogether. There is a one train an hour service operating.

* - “They have it easy nowadays. When I were young we used to work 100 hours changing rails with nothing but a bent screwdriver, Force 12 hurricane winds, hailstones the size of footballs, twenty foot of snow, thirty below zero and hungry polar bears roaming the work site. You tell the kids of today that and they won’t believe you...they won’t.”

K.o.R

Apparently the work was originally delayed until 14.00 Saturday because of the storm(*), but later cancelled altogether. There is a one train an hour service operating.

* - “They have it easy nowadays. When I were young we used to work 100 hours changing rails with nothing but a bent screwdriver, Force 12 hurricane winds, hailstones the size of footballs, twenty foot of snow, thirty below zero and hungry polar bears roaming the work site. You tell the kids of today that and they won’t believe you...they won’t.”

Needs a few dropped Hs for that little bit of extra polish :lol:

Gloster

Established Member
Looking at Brading on google maps (or whatever it’s called), I reckon that there is a bit over 100 metres of available length. Unless my maths is wrong, each 484 is about 36.5 metres long, so there is no chance of four-car trains and a Penryn-style loop unless the platform is extended considerable. There is also a foot crossing at the south end of the station to add to the difficulties.

Vespa

Established Member
3 maybe but not 4.

Attachments

• 20201003_132858_HDR.jpg
    20201003_132858_HDR.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 188
  • 20201003_134232.jpg
    20201003_134232.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 181

Chris125

Established Member
Worth noting that a Penryn-style loop doesn't need one continuous platform, just a platform face inside the passing loop and one outside - there does appear to be room on the Sandown side for both double track and a platform.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Weekend works were pulled at about 1600 Friday I believe. There was no train service advertised until 1400 due to the remaining unit requiring an exam but was actually out earlier at about 11.

looks like the remaining unit has gone tech this morning as well

Veteran Member
Was there any mention of the Brading loop? I've just seen a photo caption suggesting the plan's changed to a loop south of the station - to be clear I've not seen this reported anywhere else, but it wouldn't come as a total shock.
Unless the 484s are going to be considerably quicker to line speed, it isn't really practicable because the running time to Pier Head and back is so close to 30min.
You could possibly put a new down platform on the west side of the line south of the loop points, a bit like Penryn, but that just adds cost compared with using the existing disused one.

Chris125

Established Member
Unless the 484s are going to be considerably quicker to line speed, it isn't really practicable because the running time to Pier Head and back is so close to 30min.

They could probably get away with it if push comes to shove - aluminium bodied 484s should be pretty nippy, the timings are hardly punishing, the power supply should be better and new track and ballast should see avoid the speed restrictions that have become so regular.

Vespa

Established Member
Failed...

Ah so no trains today, I was on the the IOW steam railway today and didn't notice any Island Line trains at Smallbrook, so that's probably why.

Just popped down to the station and had a look, looks the upgrade is needed now more than ever.

Attachments

• 20201004_172622.jpg
    20201004_172622.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 178
  • 20201004_172552.jpg
    20201004_172552.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 173
Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Honestly, I'm not going to risk wasting time/money to have a last ride on the 483s myself if there's a reasonable chance there'll be no working unit on the day.

hermit

Until now, it’s been very rare for both trains to be out of action - they’ve almost always managed to maintain an hourly service. However, who knows what will happen between now and January.

Does anyone know the nature of the persistent fault that keeps causing trains to be withdrawn?

Vespa

Established Member
Until now, it’s been very rare for both trains to be out of action - they’ve almost always managed to maintain an hourly service. However, who knows what will happen between now and January.

Does anyone know the nature of the persistent fault that keeps causing trains to be withdrawn?

Likely to be electrics, earthings or compressors, we're essentially talking about a museum standard 80 year old train, replacement parts will be hard to aquire, Ryde St Johns have 3 trains in the yard, there could be a part to rob if it's not already been used.

If I have the opportunity I might have a chat with the staff but no guarantees as I'm as I'm off to the needles tommorrow.

It would be a disaster if there is no train running at all between now and the new trains coming in.

alex397

Established Member
Honestly, I'm not going to risk wasting time/money to have a last ride on the 483s myself if there's a reasonable chance there'll be no working unit on the day.

Same here. I was hoping to head down next week, but it would be quite an expensive trip for visiting a train which might not run. I'd like to visit in the next few weeks, before it gets colder, and before further potential Covid restrictions.

bramling

Veteran Member

I was planning to spend a few days there, so at least if there’s no 38 stock out then we can do other things. However with the way it seems to be going even this isn’t guaranteed!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

I'm not 100% sure, but based on a tweet this morning - I can't remember from whom - today's issue wasn't both units being broken but that one of them failed in an awkward location, which I took to mean somewhere on one of the single track sections and couldn't be easily recovered?

Journeyman

Established Member

I'd say there's a very high risk of that happening at any time between now and the proposed last day.

Chris125

Established Member
I'd say there's a very high risk of that happening at any time between now and the proposed last day.

In 12+ months of two operable trains I can't recall this happening more than once or twice, so the risk should still be very low.

Update: Island Line is back to an hourly service as of now, so not a big problem thankfully.

Last edited:

Wyrleybart

Established Member
In 12+ months of two operable trains I can't recall this happening more than once or twice, so the risk should still be very low.

Update: Island Line is back to an hourly service as of now, so not a big problem thankfully.

Thanks Chris. You have preempted my question about when there was actually a full day cancellation due to rolling stock failures. My guess is probably not even a full day, but if folk want to deny themselves the pleasure then they will.

Vespa

Established Member
Just having a last ride before I go home tomorrow.

There is 2 trains running, took the opportunity to ride both by swapping at Sandown passing loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.