• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Island Line Upgrade updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespa

Established Member
Probably not for the three months it's estimated for the line upgrade and new train testing and bedding in.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Wightlink are to suspend the Portsmouth Harbour-Ryde Pier Head Fastcat service after close of service on the 13 November. No date is given for its return.

It's probably virus restrictions related as they're also stopping Saturday and Sunday sailings on Lymington - Yarmouth.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's probably virus restrictions related as they're also stopping Saturday and Sunday sailings on Lymington - Yarmouth.

To be fair, with people asked to travel only locally, a quite low COVID prevalence on the island (but a much higher prevalence in high-density Portsmouth), holidays effectively banned and an elderly population, I can see why hardly anyone would be wanting to cross the Solent at the moment.

hermit

The hovercraft service between Ryde and Southsea will continue to run, so there will be some maritime activity to be seen on the new Railcam at Ryde.

vlad

Wightlink are to suspend the Portsmouth Harbour-Ryde Pier Head Fastcat service after close of service on the 13 November. No date is given for its return.

It wasn't running during Lockdown 1.0 either. I'd assume it'll return in the new year if not before.

Chris125

Established Member
It wasn't running during Lockdown 1.0 either. I'd assume it'll return in the new year if not before.

Exactly, I'd be amazed if it didn't return pretty quickly after the lifting of lockdown - there'll certainly be pressure to do so locally, the Hovercraft service could struggle with the November weather.

Rick1984

Hovertravel accepting Wightlink tickets and arrangements to use car ferry in bad weather with buses provided to link between the Hover terminals and the car ferry terminals

pompeyfan

Established Member
Hovertravel accepting Wightlink tickets and arrangements to use car ferry in bad weather with buses provided to link between the Hover terminals and the car ferry terminals

this means unfortunately a 10 minute journey suddenly becomes a 90 minute journey depending on when the next ferry is scheduled to leave. Better than nothing but not great.

Wychwood93

To be fair, with people asked to travel only locally, a quite low COVID prevalence on the island (but a much higher prevalence in high-density Portsmouth), holidays effectively banned and an elderly population, I can see why hardly anyone would be wanting to cross the Solent at the moment.
Work! People on the Island work on the mainland and v.v.

Chris125

Established Member
Not noticed this interview before, but it clearly shows why removing the conductor rail was never going to happen: https://www.railuk.com/featured/what-next-for-vivarail/

Adrian advises that Vivarail had suggested that it could supply its Class 230 battery trains to operate the route to enable the 53-year old third rail system to be decommissioned. However, this was not considered to be the best option perhaps because of the high initial cost of battery rafts.

No kidding...

A two-car Class 230 BEMU has four battery packs, each costing around £100,000, with a seven-year warranty... The cost of the wayside charging battery bank also has to be considered.

Batteries alone would cost £2m for 5 units (adding nearly 7t to each), with more needed at the fast charging stations and all with a limited lifespan - there's clearly no case for replacing conventional 3rd rail with costs like that.

Last edited:

Tim M

First new train arrival.

A0wen

On Moderation
Not noticed this interview before, but it clearly shows why removing the conductor rail was never going to happen: https://www.railuk.com/featured/what-next-for-vivarail/

No kidding...

Batteries alone would cost £2m for 5 units (adding nearly 7t to each), with more needed at the fast charging stations and all with a limited lifespan - there's clearly no case for replacing conventional 3rd rail with costs like that.

Well, surely you need to know what the costs are of maintaining the con-rail and associated equipment in order to make such an assertion - which I'm guessing you may not have done ?

Let's say for the sake of argument the batteries last 5 years - then you're looking at £ 400k a year. How much does it cost to maintain 12 miles of con-rail and associated equipment over the same duration - I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure some of the more knowledgeable posters around here might.

Chris125

Established Member
Well, surely you need to know what the costs are of maintaining the con-rail and associated equipment in order to make such an assertion - which I'm guessing you may not have done ?

It's an assumption, but a pretty safe one don't you think?

A0wen

On Moderation
It's an assumption, but a pretty safe one don't you think?

I've no idea - as I say, there are others on here who can shed some light on the maintenance and operating costs of a dozen or so miles of con-rail.

Personally I was surprised they didn't go battery / hybrid in part because the line would have made quite a good test-bed for it, partly because it would simplify future infrastructure changes and partly because it was said the con-rail and its equipment was nearing life expiry and therefore renewing it seemed an unnecessary cost.

Chris125

Established Member
Personally I was surprised they didn't go battery / hybrid in part because the line would have made quite a good test-bed for it, partly because it would simplify future infrastructure changes and partly because it was said the con-rail and its equipment was nearing life expiry and therefore renewing it seemed an unnecessary cost.

AFAIK it was just speculation and exaggeration, probably not helped by that nonsense of a report by Chris Garnett - I'm sure it needs work (I think they're replacing the substation at Roworough?) but hardly complete replacement. Even if it did, I struggle to see how it could possibly be more expensive than all the costs of changing to and maintaining a battery powered system.

I'm all for testing battery powered trains, but they should be replacing dirty and polluting diesels not existing electrification.

Last edited:
Will the stations get a facelift/repaint while its all closed? I did wonder if the whole Southern green heritage thing will be done away with and everything brought into line colour wise as SWR are doing on the mainland as it doesn't align very well with the new stock and the new image they probably are looking for.

The_Van

I'm going to try and get over on Saturday 5th Dec restrictions permitting.

Will the 2 train service be running then subject to unit availability? I recall there was some suggestion they would be going to an hourly service before the engineering close down.

Graham H

I'm going to try and get over on Saturday 5th Dec restrictions permitting.

Will the 2 train service be running then subject to unit availability? I recall there was some suggestion they would be going to an hourly service before the engineering close down.
Bus replacement currently shown for 5th and 6th

Based on RTT, Sunday this week is the last of the two train service. Only seems to be hourly on the days I looked at in December.

Last edited:

DelW

Established Member
I'm slightly surprised that they're still running up to Pier Head and back - with the Wightlink catamarans not running I can't imagine there's any demand beyond Esplanade.

bramling

Veteran Member

Based on RTT, Sunday this week is the last of the two train service. Only seems to be hourly on the days I looked at in December.

Is there any prospect of 4-car trains running during the hourly service in December? I know this has been very much a rarity over the last few years.

Gloster

Established Member
I have no inside information, but it would seem to me that if you did have two units available, you are better keeping one as a spare than putting all your eggs in one basket. If you had three units available, then...well, that is really the realms of fantasy.

bramling

Veteran Member
I have no inside information, but it would seem to me that if you did have two units available, you are better keeping one as a spare than putting all your eggs in one basket. If you had three units available, then...well, that is really the realms of fantasy.

It just seems that with a 50% service, Christmas, social distancing and the prospect of enthusiasts turning up, maintaining the normal level of capacity wouldn’t go amiss.

trebor79

Established Member
It just seems that with a 50% service, Christmas, social distancing and the prospect of enthusiasts turning up, maintaining the normal level of capacity wouldn’t go amiss.
Nobody was worried about distancing when I bashed the line in August. Train was full and standing. I survived!

The_Van

Thanks Graham

That's scuppered it for me then. Not sure it's worth the trip for one an hour

Graham H

Thanks Graham

That's scuppered it for me then. Not sure it's worth the trip for one an hour
a bit odd as they are running two trains where available during lockdown and then back to one when we can travel again. I was over in August (Bank Hol weekend) and only one unit running hourly. Jam packed with no chance to distance and perhaps only 50% bothering with masks. Not helped by having about a third of one carriage roped off for use of the guard. I would hope some kind of last few days 'celebration' is to be held to mark the long life of these units. I do remember the old Vec/Tis stock too, they were really ancient to my youthful eyes.

Last edited:

Chris125

Established Member
Is there any prospect of 4-car trains running during the hourly service in December? I know this has been very much a rarity over the last few years.

I don't believe they've run any 4-car trains since 2014, I'd be very surprised if that was a realistic option now especially for such a short period.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.