• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Island Line Upgrade updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

E759

That would be great and perhaps something IWSR should look into longer - term, maybe they could offer a round-trip from Ryde using Island Line, the heritage trains and a heritage bus.

For now it would be nice if SWR could find either a single-decker and/or a lowbridge version to go on the direct route to Haven street... Maybe they could give Havenstreet village an actual bus service for a change!

That said, it seems odd that these buses don't just go between Esplanade and Wotton station. I figure there's enough room in the car park to turn around, and it's a shorter journey time on the steam train from Wootton to Havenstreet as it would be from Smallbrook... Would save SWR some money in diesel costs too!
Trains run from Havenstreet to Havenstreet via Smallbrook Junction and Wootton. Joining at Wootton means the Railway have to reserve you a compartment on TWO different services. [Note the bus journey to Havenstreet requires an Esplanade to Smallbrook Junction rail ticket!]

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
It has been announced that Wightlink’s Ryde-Portsmouth FastCat service should return on 29 April, although Wightlink’s website is not so clear as it says ‘Service suspended until Wednesday, 28 April 2021’. Presumably, there will be taxis up and down the pier for those with rail tickets.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Does the second pic imply a feather for whichever Brading platform is being used? So effectively neither route is the preferred one?

Is that usual nowadays?

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Does the second pic imply a feather for whichever Brading platform is being used? So effectively neither route is the preferred one?

Is that usual nowadays?
I think it may have that capability so that if there is a problem with one of the tracks, or if the point motor is faulty perhaps, it gives them the flexibility to use both lines easily?

zwk500

Veteran Member

Is that usual nowadays?
This setup has been standard where both routes are the same speed for a long time.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think it may have that capability so that if there is a problem with one of the tracks, or if the point motor is faulty perhaps, it gives them the flexibility to use both lines easily?
I was thinking that usually only one route would have a feather, ie the one into the right hand platform.

This setup has been standard where both routes are the same speed for a long time.
Ok Ta.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I was thinking that usually only one route would have a feather, ie the one into the right hand platform.
If the two routes had different speeds, this would indeed have been the case. I don't really get why 2 feathers is needed, especially at 40 braking for 15mph, but there you go.

BS56

What about the signal in the Down direction at Brading is that the same. Will Sandown also be the same and what about access to the permanent way sidings there will that be a signalled move ?

Gloster

Established Member
Is the middle photo of the Down (southbound) Home Signal? If so, is it possible that there will be the option of Down trains running into the Up platform when they are not crossing another train?

david1212

Established Member
It has been announced that Wightlink’s Ryde-Portsmouth FastCat service should return on 29 April, although Wightlink’s website is not so clear as it says ‘Service suspended until Wednesday, 28 April 2021’. Presumably, there will be taxis up and down the pier for those with rail tickets.

My understanding is that the rail replacement bus contract includes minibuses on the pier. So far with the FastCat suspended they have not been run.

It might be the same arrangement with some heritage railway stations, in that if a train is not due to pass another train at the station, the train is routed into the main platform, thus in Brading's case, will enable passengers to avoid crossing the railway. It will probably be only used when there is 1 train in operation as well as the beginning/end of Service for the day

Flange Squeal

Established Member
It might be the same arrangement with some heritage railway stations, in that if a train is not due to pass another train at the station, the train is routed into the main platform, thus in Brading's case, will enable passengers to avoid crossing the railway. It will probably be only used when there is 1 train in operation as well as the beginning/end of Service for the day
Bentley, on South Western Railway’s Alton branch, operates in a similar way. It is single line Farnham to Alton, with a passing loop at Bentley station. Generally trains in both directions will use platform 1, the loop only really seeing use early morning/late night when empties and service trains pass, and on Sundays when trains are timetabled to pass there.

BS56

I think the middle photo could even be the up home as it is numbered 44 and if they are following normal convention with signal numbers then even numbers will be will be the up direction . But why send a up train through the down platform? So my guess is it's the down signal with either the wrong number plate or they have changed the way they number signals.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think the middle photo could even be the up home as it is numbered 44 and if they are following normal convention with signal numbers then even numbers will be will be the up direction . But why send a up train through the down platform? So my guess is it's the down signal with either the wrong number plate or they have changed the way they number signals.
It’s definitely the down signal. If you follow the Flickr link @Chris125 says it’s taken from Quay Lane bridge, and it‘s looking south - hence the right hand curve.

D6130

Established Member
That signal (WFP44) is definitely the Down Home. The convention for giving Down direction signals odd numbers and Up direction signals even numbers only really applied to large areas of multiple aspect signalling controlled from panels boxes or IECCs....and even then only on certain regions at certain periods of time. Interestingly, the Southern Railway and its successor BR Southern Region actually numbered automatic signals on TCB lines the other way round, i.e. evens on the Down and odds on the Up. Where controlled colour-light signals were worked by full-sized or miniature lever frames, they took the number of the controlling lever. If, as I suspect, the signals and points at Brading are going to be worked as electrical switches from the existing frame in Ryde St Johns Road box, they will utilise what are currently spare levers in the frame and will be numbered accordingly. Happy to be corrected if I am wrong.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Bentley, on South Western Railway’s Alton branch, operates in a similar way. It is single line Farnham to Alton, with a passing loop at Bentley station. Generally trains in both directions will use platform 1, the loop only really seeing use early morning/late night when empties and service trains pass, and on Sundays when trains are timetabled to pass there.
It’s the other way round here of course. The two trains in service are always at Brading together, +/- 1 or 2 minutes, 7 days a week. (except first and last.)

BS56

I thought the lever frame would control the line as far as Smallbrook junction and a new panel controlling the rest. But I could be wrong. I have forgotten how many levers St Johns road has and which one's are spare. Even so it look's like a step backwards but of course they did it with Truro box.

Last edited:

DelW

Established Member
The first fencing has appeared, I know money's tight but... really? Rather unhelpfully St Johns is losing the entrance at the bridge end.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/355569249197459/permalink/476553570432359/

The new surface at Pier Head is complete too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/355569249197459/permalink/476553570432359/
Those two links both go to the same Facebook post (the St Johns one).

I suspect the handrailing is Kee Klamp, widely used for footbridge handrails and the like. It's all assembled from a small range of standard components, with the great advantage that it can be configured on site, and adjusted as and where necessary. That reduces programme time, as otherwise there has to be an as-built survey, then a design and fabrication period before delivery to site. It's probably cheaper too, though :lol:.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
I hope this is the link to Ryde Pier Head:
Hope they put a rail on it or extend the raised surface to the the other side of the platform, as people may fall off the higher platform if they leave it like that.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hope they put a rail on it or extend the raised surface to the the other side of the platform, as people may fall off the higher platform if they leave it like that.
As far as I know it isn’t being extended all the way over, but it does get a rail as shown in the planning drawings. The platform was extended out over the second track width, I think they’ve decided to only do the area under the canopy.

Chris125

Established Member
All three Up signals at Brading can now be seen - at Yarbridge, approaching the loop and at the far end of the Up platform. Concrete for the ramps down to the foot crossing is being poured and copers are back on the Down platform.

Brading by Chris, on Flickr

Chonner

Was on holiday on the Island this week and managed to take a peak at all the stations but Brading. Some photos below:

Shanklin (Monday 19th April) - Still looking like a lot of work to be done on the platform edge. Has the welcome sign been washed/repainted, looks quite clean?

20210419_172243.jpg20210419_172249.jpg20210419_172508.jpg20210419_172457.jpg

Lake (Tuesday 20th April) - Looks pretty much complete, although there was a work gang on site doing some small bits, so couldn't get close to the fence to take some better photos. Got a close up photo of the platform suspension systems, also a 484 has joined the flower beds.

20210420_094610.jpg20210420_094543.jpg

Sandown (Tuesday 20th April) - Looks mostly there.

20210420_095538.jpg

Smallbrook Junction (Wednesday 21st April) - Looks complete to my eye.

20210421_115411.jpg20210421_115636.jpg

Ryde St John (Friday 23rd April) - The handrails have been installed - looks ready to open to my eye. Couldn't see 484001 anywhere.

20210423_160541.jpg20210423_160706.jpg

Chris125

Established Member
Any idea what that metal bar is in the foreground at Sandown with all those cables attached? A lot of clearing up and some damage repairs too in that photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.