• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Island Line Upgrade updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris125

Established Member
Good good.
I know it’s impractical but shame the tramway isn’t used for vehicles so pedestrians can walk along the sea side with the old shelters rather than being in the middle between the traffic and the trains.

It could have happened - Wightlink wanted to operate car ferries to the pier some years back, with a new structure replacing the tramway pier. It was, unsurprisingly, very unpopular especially in Ryde.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rick1984

The plans look decent apart from two things.
No improved access to the hoverport.
And they have a good looking segregated cycle lane. But I'm then degenerates to awful shared cycle/pedestrian space. Useless for anything other than a Sunday family cyclist

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I’m amazed they’ve rebuilt the ramp ends. Unless there’s a decent barrier I can see a dangerous shortcut being used…

MotCO

Established Member
I’m amazed they’ve rebuilt the ramp ends. Unless there’s a decent barrier I can see a dangerous shortcut being used…

But it looks as though there is a 'disable access' ramp behind the wooden panelling, presumably for disabled access across the tracks - will there be a locked gate to restrict access? Therefore the platform ramp ends are no more a risk than the disabled access ramp.

michael8

I think Brading looks super - there's something really refreshing about seeing all this new infrastructure rejuvenating these old stations :D

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
But it looks as though there is a 'disable access' ramp behind the wooden panelling, presumably for disabled access across the tracks - will there be a locked gate to restrict access? Therefore the platform ramp ends are no more a risk than the disabled access ramp.
This is most definitely the PRM access, it’s something we’ve been discussing earlier in the thread. However, in a presentation video linked earlier, (post #764), the contractors said the route would be controlled by the signaller, what I’m thinking is that confronted with a locked gate the ramps make a shortcut more tempting compared to returning to the other end of the platforms to use the footbridge…

Last edited:

Chris125

Established Member
I think the platform ramps are covered by the listing so I doubt they had a choice, but it's a very quiet station and they'll probably get anti-trespass grids in due course anyway.

Veteran Member
Interesting photos of the new panel in the box at St Johns showing the new arrangements - looks like the Up signals at Smallbrook have been moved from the Ryde side of the junction to the Brading side?
Was there really no c/l signal approaching Smallbrook before? An intermediate signal between Smallbrook and the St Johns distant sounds odd.

D6130

Established Member
Was there really no c/l signal approaching Smallbrook before? An intermediate signal between Smallbrook and the St Johns distant sounds odd.
Correct......there was a two aspect automatic colour light stop signal (WA455 IIRC) on the Up Line between Smallbrook and Pigleg Lane Crossing, repeated by a two aspect colour light distant more-or-less alongside the points at Smallbrook (I think now at the Ryde end of the new Smallbrook platform). These were installed at the time of electrification in 1966.

Last edited:

Chris125

Established Member
Correct......there was a two aspect automatic colour light stop signal (WA455 IIRC) on the Up Line between Smallbrook and Pigleg Lane Crossing, repaeated by a two aspect colour light distant more-or-less alongside the points at Smallbrook (I think now at the Ryde end of the new Smallbrook platform). These were installed at the time of electrification in 1966.

Presumably useful for those Summer Saturdays in the early years when they ran 5tph, but have they served much of a purpose since?

Gloster

Established Member
It has been reported in the Islandecho that 484 001 reached Shanklin under its own power today.

NOTE TO MODS: I did try to do a link, but despite having carefully copied down the instructions in the latest ‘How to do it’ video I was sent, I didn’t even get as far as on previous occasions. To be exact, I didn’t even get started.

Last edited:

DelW

Established Member
It has been reported in the Islandecho that 484 001 reached Shanklin under its own power today.
Well, that sounds like progress at last :)

Are 001 and 002 still the only ones on the island? I haven't heard of the others making the crossing, so maybe they're still doing running-in trips from Eastleigh?

Gloster

Established Member
Well, that sounds like progress at last :)

Are 001 and 002 still the only ones on the island? I haven't heard of the others making the crossing, so maybe they're still doing running-in trips from Eastleigh?
I think it is 001 and 004 on the island. In another thread it says that 002 and 003 were out and about near Eastleigh today.

zwk500

Veteran Member

NOTE TO MODS: I did try to do a link, but despite having carefully copied down the instructions in the latest ‘How to do it’ video I was sent, I didn’t even get as far as on previous occasions. To be exact, I didn’t even get started.

DelW

Established Member
I think it is 001 and 004 on the island. In another thread it says that 002 and 003 were out and about near Eastleigh today.
Ah, thanks, I've caught up with the other thread now.

D9006

I believe it was out under its own power today, my mum and dads garden backs on to the line at lake and observed it going both ways

Chris125

Established Member
In the last few days they've been locking many (all?) all of the foot crossings - sounds like this will be the case for some weeks according to this councillor in Ryde.

https://www.facebook.com/Karen4rydemonktonmead/posts/1862138307301257

The crossing between Oakfield and pig leg lane with be locked until the 13th August. This is due to risk assessments being done with the new train coming into service.

I have the following reply from the assistant project manager for South Western Railway. She has said: “I’m afraid the response from the maintenance team was a firm no as it is not considered safe at present. Improvement works are required to make the crossings safe for public use and in addition the works themselves will bring the added risk of materials providing trip hazards, open access to the live rail, etc whilst work is underway”.

flitwickbeds

RealTimeTrains has services running the whole length of the line from next Sunday (1st August) onwards, starting with the 0645 departure from Ryde Pier Head to Shanklin.

Is this likely to actually happen?

DelW

Established Member
I know that timing loads don't necessarily reflect booked traction, but that RTT listing still shows it as a class 483.

Chris125

Established Member
Some positive news from Network Rail about Ryde Pier: https://onthewight.com/ryde-piers-r...-carried-out-on-it-heres-what-weve-found-out/

There is a renewal project underway which is looking to preserve the long-term future of the pier. This has involved a number of inspections of the structure by Network Rail staff over the past few months. The majority of it is in better condition than we thought, however there is some repair work to do which will be completed this weekend. There won’t be any issues with the new trains running once the initial repairs are complete.

The pier is on a regular examination regime. The last detailed examination was undertaken in August 2020. A corrosion survey was undertaken on local areas more recently in May/June, which identified the majority of the pier was in better condition than previously assumed.

The new trains will be able to traverse the pier safely. The existing assessment was reviewed for the new trains and this assessment assumes crowd loading as do all assessments for passenger traffic. There are no plans to renew any piles nor trestles.

pdeaves

Established Member
I know that timing loads don't necessarily reflect booked traction, but that RTT listing still shows it as a class 483.
I don't suppose 484 timing loads exist yet. Also, I expect the 484 will run to 483 point-to-point times at the outset until things have settled down.

Cymroglan

Sorry if this is a super annoying question, but does post #860 above give reason to hope that the passenger service will resume in August?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Sorry if this is a super annoying question, but does post #860 above give reason to hope that the passenger service will resume in August?
Probably not, the services will probably just be cancelled again nearer the time, as they have been before. They still only have 2 units on the island.

Cymroglan

Thanks, I’m often guilty of wishful thinking! I really can’t wait to rise the train to Shanklin once more!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is ferry capacity an issue during August in trying to get more units across there?
I suppose it might be a slight hindrance, but they must already have a means to retain enough capacity for the normal number of HGVs that are running all year round. Day tripper max capacity is presumably am out and pm back?

Status
Not open for further replies.