• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Island Line Upgrade updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Just seen the following document;

Number 2 pier road is now blocked out of use until further notice. Hook switches 8356 and 7806 to remain open. Shunt signal 32 and 33 points to be collared out of use, this is due to condition of track and conductor rail

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris125

Established Member
Thanks for that, '06 sounds right to me.

Interestingly Peter Hendy of NR and Mark Hopwood of SWR visited the Steam Railway yesterday with the accompanying video featuring much talk of 'working together'... sounds like something is afoot?!

DelW

Established Member
As far back as 2002, Island Line used the steam line's diesel shunter and ballast wagons to carry out trackwork around Lake and Sandown. I assume they were transferred by road, but I've often thought that a connection at Smallbrook could benefit both lines.

With the modification of Island Line taking place during the steam line's closed season, their running line and sidings could presumably be made available if needed. The steam line also has facilities to transfer stock between road and rail and regularly does so.

Having the ability to share resources could well work to the benefit of both for years to come.

Rick1984

The new trains are being transferred via the steam railway I seem to remember. So a connection will be needed to be installed at Smallbrook?

Chris125

Established Member
The new trains are being transferred via the steam railway I seem to remember. So a connection will be needed to be installed at Smallbrook?

Someone posted that but didn't elaborate or provide a source and if true we'd surely see some evidence by now, the first unit was meant to arrive in September after all and must be imminent - delivery to Sandown has been mentioned in the railway press and seems way more likely. A connection could well happen but for the infrastructure work next year.

Gloster

Established Member
They recently had a track machine (908 014-2 and T204 was all I had time to note down) over for ten days or so and I think that went in via Sandown. I would expect the same for the new units, but have no definite knowledge.

Gloster

Established Member
They are doing some work on the pier this weekend, so there are no trains between St Johns Road and Pier Head. The County Press has the headline ‘Island Line train services disrupted this weekend for the Isle of Wight’.

the sniper

Established Member
According to the feature in the latest Modern Railways, which included comments from SWR Head of Infrastructure Mr Power, the new unit will go via Sandown yard.

Regarding a connection with the steam railway, they say "To assist with the blockade, a connection [...] may be established at Smallbrook Junction, which would be used by engineering trains to remove redundant materials; however, it will not be signalled and so could not be used by passenger trains. Mr Power says redundant track, fill material and ballast in good condition will be donated to the steam railway."

fgwrich

Established Member
Thanks for that, '06 sounds right to me.

Interestingly Peter Hendy of NR and Mark Hopwood of SWR visited the Steam Railway yesterday with the accompanying video featuring much talk of 'working together'... sounds like something is afoot?!

I wonder if there's been some dusting off of some previous plans - When the franchises were awarded, it was reported that Stagecoach was similar talking to the IOWSR about similar "Working Together".

Chris125

Established Member
Regarding a connection with the steam railway, they say "To assist with the blockade, a connection [...] may be established at Smallbrook Junction, which would be used by engineering trains to remove redundant materials; however, it will not be signalled and so could not be used by passenger trains. Mr Power says redundant track, fill material and ballast in good condition will be donated to the steam railway."

Basically what was said earlier this year, sounds like the desire's there but details need to be agreed? Hopefully having Hendy and Hopwood at Havenstreet suggests some good news is coming, especially given Mark's overt references to working together.

philthetube

Established Member
According to the feature in the latest Modern Railways, which included comments from SWR Head of Infrastructure Mr Power, the new unit will go via Sandown yard.

Showing my ignorance, but presumably a set of unsignalled points could be secured to allow a passenger service to operate, as a one off?

Gloster

Established Member
There might be a number of paperwork issues. Is the Steam Railway’s stock authorised to operate on what is, however tenuously, a part of the national network? Would the work need to be examined by RAIB or others before use?

Vespa

Established Member
They are doing some work on the pier this weekend, so there are no trains between St Johns Road and Pier Head. The County Press has the headline ‘Island Line train services disrupted this weekend for the Isle of Wight’.

I have noticed there is only one train running on the track I take it the other one is out of action ?

Just to check this weekend the train will be running from Ryde St John to Shanklin only ?

hermit

Yes and yes.

Journeys from St Johns to Pierhead will involve a bus to Esplanade and then taxi up the pier. Chances of maintaining the ferry connection look rather slim.

VEP3417

how lovely would it be to take the steam train all the way to the peir......we can only dream :lol:

Chris125

Established Member
According to the feature in the latest Modern Railways, which included comments from SWR Head of Infrastructure Mr Power...

Was there any mention of the Brading loop? I've just seen a photo caption suggesting the plan's changed to a loop south of the station - to be clear I've not seen this reported anywhere else, but it wouldn't come as a total shock.

the sniper

Established Member
Was there any mention of the Brading loop? I've just seen a photo caption suggesting the plan's changed to a loop south of the station - to be clear I've not seen this reported anywhere else, but it wouldn't come as a total shock.

They only talk about the reinstatement of the second platform at Brading. NR will assist SWR with strengthening the footbridge. Unless the plan has changed since the article was written, though that'd seem unlikely?

Chris125

Established Member
They only talk about the reinstatement of the second platform at Brading. NR will assist SWR with strengthening the footbridge. Unless the plan has changed since the article was written, though that'd seem unlikely?

I guess it depends when they interviewed the SWR bloke - I must admit I was beginning to wonder why we haven't seen a planning app for listed building consent, it's only three months to the blockade now.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Would a loop south of the station save the cost of a footbridge etc?

K.o.R

Would a loop south of the station save the cost of a footbridge etc?

Well yes, because both trains would only use the one platform. If the loop is south of the station then a northbound train has to wait in a position where passengers can't board or alight until the southbound train leaves the platform. With the standard two platform arrangement this isn't an issue, nor is it if the loop is in the station but using only a single platform; the only limit is both trains have to arrive before either can depart.

K.o.R

I get that.

But this is not a railway that justifies lots of money thrown at it. Loop without station works is cheaper than loop with station works, and still achieves the half hourly service objective.

The line is so short that you could no doubt plan it so that only one train needs to wait briefly to permit the other to pass.

Yes, which is why people presumed it would be the loop with both trains being in the platform simultaneously. Unless there is stuff in the way on the second platform's trackbed which would mean it was probably easier to put the loop elsewhere. This obviously also severely limits how long a train you can run. Still better to pay more and do it the best way possible though IMO.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Still better to pay more and do it the best way possible though IMO.

It's entirely possible that the money saved from not building a footbridge could instead be put towards a slightly longer loop so that trains don't need to stop when passing.

Chris125

Established Member
It's entirely possible that the money saved from not building a footbridge could instead be put towards a slightly longer loop so that trains don't need to stop when passing.

There are no plans for a new footbridge, disabled access will be via an improved foot crossing at the Sandown end.

Are you sure it's the pier being worked on? I can't see anything happening on the webcam below (it pans across and zooms in every minute or so):

https://isleofwightwebcams.co.uk/solent-webcam/

Gloster

Established Member
When the idea of a loop surfaced eight or ten years ago, a loop in the platform similar to that at Penryn on the Falmouth branch was suggested, although I think that one problem was that this would probably restrict the trains to two coaches at all times. Such an arrangement would probably require all trains to stop in the platforms: no flying crossings.

DelW

Established Member
When the idea of a loop surfaced eight or ten years ago, a loop in the platform similar to that at Penryn on the Falmouth branch was suggested, although I think that one problem was that this would probably restrict the trains to two coaches at all times. Such an arrangement would probably require all trains to stop in the platforms: no flying crossings.
No chance of the non-stop Pier Head to Sandown express thundering through at high speed then :D
More seriously, I can't imagine a scenario in which a train wouldn't be stopping at Brading.

Vespa

Established Member
I'm going to Brading later, should be interesting to look at that arrangement.

The line is currently running from Ryde St John to Shanklin at the moment because of engineering works, I took the opportunity to observe the track works between Island Line and IOW Steam, they are very close to each other, an engineering link between the two can resolve logistical issues including stock transfers.

Status
Not open for further replies.