• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Island Line Upgrade updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris125

Established Member
Where is the searchlight-style Dorman Signal because it still looks like a normal two aspect signal.

Good to see how Brading is looking.

No photo sadly, that February shot was just for reference - same design as Brading's however.

Sorry if I've missed an answer but does this mean Brading will have 2 platforms in use now, noticed in a video that the bridge is unstable so locked off for normal access, will this be repaired?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Sorry if I've missed an answer but does this mean Brading will have 2 platforms in use now, noticed in a video that the bridge is unstable so locked off for normal access, will this be repaired?
Yes, 2 platforms in use has always been the scope, as shown in a number of photos in this thread. There’s also been a planning application to replace the footbridge main span, but they’re also upgrading the ramps and foot crossing for universal access.

The listed building consent for the footbridge span replacement and other repair work to the steps etc was granted on 3rd March, and a further application has since been made (18th March) to put a temporary footbridge in place for up to 6 months while the original is undergoing repairs.

Last edited:

Chris125

Established Member
The listed building consent for the footbridge span replacement and other repair work to the steps etc was granted on 3rd March, and a further application has since been made (18th March) to put a temporary footbridge in place for up to 6 months while the original is undergoing repairs.

Interesting, hadn't noticed that - explains why nothing's happened yet, but with access to the foot crossing I'm surprised that wouldn't suffice for a few months given it's low use.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Interesting, hadn't noticed that - explains why nothing's happened yet, but with access to the foot crossing I'm surprised that wouldn't suffice for a few months given it's low use.
It must be quite newly online as it wasn’t there a few days ago, I had tried to confirm exactly what was happening after the post by @HamworthyGoods saying it wasn’t being replaced.

Southern Dvr

You say low use, but it's quite likely Vectis will be seeing a lot more punters this year even than last. After all, it is the nearest you can might get to going abroad!

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
It must be quite newly online as it wasn’t there a few days ago, I had tried to confirm exactly what was happening after the post by @HamworthyGoods saying it wasn’t being replaced.

Apologies I forgot to get back - as far was I was aware it wasn’t originally being replaced but a foot crossing was initially going to provide the level access to the new platform in the immediate time.

Southern Dvr

Apologies I forgot to get back - as far was I was aware it wasn’t originally being replaced but a foot crossing was initially going to provide the level access to the new platform in the immediate time.
The problem with foot crossings is that they are very much out of favour from a safety point of view these days and also most 'new' platforms dont have ramps anymore.

I expect 45mph is as high as possible! Maybe they'll dare 50mph, but without air suspension on the 484s I don't think it will be all that comfortable going much above 45mph.

Joshua483

On Moderation
The problem with foot crossings is that they are very much out of favour from a safety point of view these days and also most 'new' platforms dont have ramps anymore.

I expect 45mph is as high as possible! Maybe they'll dare 50mph, but without air suspension on the 484s I don't think it will be all that comfortable going much above 45mph.
The British Rail Class 483 were a thrill to ride on mainly on the Pier, the Tunnel and south of Ryde St John's Road.

Chris125

Established Member
You say low use, but it's quite likely Vectis will be seeing a lot more punters this year even than last. After all, it is the nearest you can might get to going abroad!

Good grief, I've just seen how tall it's going to be! With the footbridge steps at the far north end of the platform and down trains probably stopping at the other end I doubt most will bother with it tbh, great view though...

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
Even when the FastCats return, which hopefully will be no later than the return of the trains, I fear there will be a greater tendency for visitors to come by car due to concerns about infection. There will still be some visitors using the train, either because they don’t have a car or because they are only coming for the day, but I don’t think that any surge in the numbers of holidaymakers will be reflected in an increase in Islandline’s passenger numbers. There is also the more general fear of enclosed spaces, except for one’s own car, that may dampen the enthusiasm for trips to the island: the ferry trip may be as much of a disincentive to visiting the island as it used to be an attraction.

Southern Dvr

Even when the FastCats return, which hopefully will be no later than the return of the trains, I fear there will be a greater tendency for visitors to come by car due to concerns about infection. There will still be some visitors using the train, either because they don’t have a car or because they are only coming for the day, but I don’t think that any surge in the numbers of holidaymakers will be reflected in an increase in Islandline’s passenger numbers. There is also the more general fear of enclosed spaces, except for one’s own car, that may dampen the enthusiasm for trips to the island: the ferry trip may be as much of a disincentive to visiting the island as it used to be an attraction.

I made two visits last year. One on the ferry with the car (September), that was tolerable due to being able to sit outside on deck and distance from other passengers. The other was on the hovercraft (October) and there were only a handful of us onboard. The island was quite popular last year if i recall correctly.

Remember we are *currently at time of writing and I'm fully aware it will change* being told that June is when things return to normality. Most people are now absolutely fed up of the restrictions and the inability to do the things they want to do, so the big test will come when the holidays come around. Will there be concerns about infections by then? That really depends on who you listen to! Boris or The Scientists!

Chris125

Established Member
There is also the more general fear of enclosed spaces, except for one’s own car, that may dampen the enthusiasm for trips to the island: the ferry trip may be as much of a disincentive to visiting the island as it used to be an attraction.

Perhaps a reluctance to use public transport could affect daytrips by Catamaran and Hovercraft, but if anything taking a ferry - the nearest thing to 'going abroad' most people might get this summer - is actually an attraction to many looking for a staycation, especially as the island has usually had some of the lowest covid numbers in england.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Back in June I went on the fastcat on a sunny summer Saturday. Wightlink were inexplicably still only running one cat every two hours and the boat was full. They had to turn prebooked passengers away because of the amount of people running on rail ticket.

we actually missed the xx49 connection off the pier so the majority of people decided to walk even though there was luckily (and rarely) a two train service.

had the entire contents of the boat attempted to join a two car 483 I think I’d have waited anyway.

Chris125

Established Member
Track looks complete at Shanklin now, with the buffers moved towards Sandown - they are just facing the new platform wall and then it's just surfacing and copers hopefully.

Shanklin by Chris, on Flickr

I've also managed to grab photos of the split level platform at Sandown, and the new Dorman signal protecting the line to Shanklin:

Sandown by Chris, on Flickr

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Why all the poles on the platform at Sandown?
It’s for a fence at the step between the raised new section and the original surface. @Chris125 had mentioned it in post #607, although he didn’t photograph it at the time.

I expect they couldn’t cover the entire platform back to the existing doorways.

Last edited:

david1212

Established Member
Why all the poles on the platform at Sandown?

It’s for a fence at the step between the raised new section and the original surface. @Chris125 had mentioned it in post #607, although he didn’t photograph it at the time.

I expect they couldn’t cover the entire platform back to the existing doorways.

Ughhhh. I was expecting to see the raised section slope back to the building with a drainage channel.

They really need to tart up the "Welcome to Shanklin" sign.

The canopy too.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Remind me again why they didn't lower the track?
It’s hard to work out how the decisions were made, because there are two traditionally built stations where they have lowered the track, and properly rebuilt the platform faces, ie Brading and Shanklin. Maybe it’s to do with whether anything about the buildings or platforms is listed?

Status
Not open for further replies.