• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Island Line Vandalised - Level of damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

westcoaster

Established Member
Does anyone know the extent of vandalism damage caused over night, it said inline the signal box and trains. Service was suspended for a while.

https://www.islandecho.co.uk/vandalism-results-in-island-line-disruption/

Vandalism of railway equipment between Ryde Esplanade and Ryde St Johns is causing disruption to Island Line services this morning (Sunday).

The network operator has discovered that equipment vital to the safe operation of trains has been maliciously damaged overnight.

As a result, the Island Line service is currently unable to run between the 2 stations, which also means Ryde Pier Head is not being served.

Disruption is expected until 10:00.

At present Island Line is only running between Shanklin and Ryde St Johns Road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
I was a bit worried about this when the story broke - most of Island Line's infrastructure is so ancient and fragile that serious damage to a vital component could make it impossible to continue operating.

Carlisle

Established Member
I was a bit worried about this when the story broke - most of Island Line's infrastructure is so ancient and fragile that serious damage to a vital component could make it impossible to continue operating.
True but theoretically anyway it shouldn’t be a huge challenge to set up some form of hand signalling/ temporary block working on part of this pretty basic railway either

Last edited:

headshot119

Established Member

Sounds like hyperbole to me. All of the signalling equipment will receive regular maintenance in line with current standards. There's no real difference in a major component failing on the Island line signalling sysytem, as to one on say the WCML.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
True but theoretically anyway it shouldn’t be a huge challenge to set up some form of hand signalling/ temporary block working on part of this pretty basic railway either

Given that the service is pretty basic, involving two EMUs just swapping places to either end all day, you could switch to train staff working fairly easily and remove all the signalling tech entirely other than whatever operates the loop points (which I'm going to suspect is probably a traditional manual signalbox?)

I'm actually slightly surprised they haven't. The loop could even have sprung points.

Journeyman

Established Member
Sounds like hyperbole to me. All of the signalling equipment will receive regular maintenance in line with current standards. There's no real difference in a major component failing on the Island line signalling sysytem, as to one on say the WCML.

Yes, there is - the WCML is a major inter-city railway with a huge amount of traffic on it, and is maintained to modern standards with reliable equipment. Much of it is four-track and a range of diversionary routes are available.

Island Line is an isolated outpost that loses money hand over fist, has been maintained to the absolute bare minimum standards anyone can get away with, has had no significant investment for over 50 years, and has been pared down to absolutely minimal levels of infrastructure with no redundancy. It's mostly single track and there are no diversionary routes.

Have you been there recently? Half of it is crumbling away. There's only so much patching up you can do - it'll eventually become unsafe and impossible to keep going unless someone spends a lot of money. If something happened like the signal box or substation burning down, they'd be absolutely screwed.

Journeyman

Established Member
Given that the service is pretty basic, involving two EMUs just swapping places to either end all day, you could switch to train staff working fairly easily and remove all the signalling tech entirely other than whatever operates the loop points (which I'm going to suspect is probably a traditional manual signalbox?)

I'm actually slightly surprised they haven't. The loop could even have sprung points.

RETB is probably feasible, but I don't think any new installations are possible (radio spectrum issues etc)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
RETB is probably feasible, but I don't think any new installations are possible (radio spectrum issues etc)

Because it's two EMUs just swapping ends all day[1], I don't even see why that is needed - two bits of wood with the drivers handing them to each other at the passing point and some kind of key box to pull off the signal and TPWS grid before departing using a key on the train staff would be quite adequate.

You only need token systems where there's a chance of an imbalanced service.

[1] If there's a single-unit service at quieter times, that unit could of course just keep hold of both train staffs until necessary.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Have you been there recently? Half of it is crumbling away. There's only so much patching up you can do - it'll eventually become unsafe and impossible to keep going unless someone spends a lot of money. If something happened like the signal box or substation burning down, they'd be absolutely screwed.

Or they could just about hang on with an hourly single unit "one engine in steam" service, I suppose.

Established Member

I have been to the Isle of Wight but never set eyes on its railway. What you describe reads more like a funicular operation than anything else!

DelW

Established Member
Because it's two EMUs just swapping ends all day[1], I don't even see why that is needed - two bits of wood with the drivers handing them to each other at the passing point and some kind of key box to pull off the signal and TPWS grid before departing using a key on the train staff would be quite adequate.
There are two different passing locations, used alternately. One is at Sandown station, the other is timetabled to be at Ryde St John's station, but I think that if the up train is late, it's possible for trains to pass each other non-stop on the double track between St John's and Smallbrook Junction.

There has for years been an aspiration to change to a single passing loop at Brading, allowing a 30 minute interval service instead of the current 20/40 minute intervals, but of course that costs money so it hasn't happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.