• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Islands", "overlap" and curious borders between different zonal fare systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roast Veg

Established Member
Unless I missed any, the following areas in the network are (or are soon to be) covered by zonal fare systems provided either by Passenger Transport Executives or local authorities:
  • Glasgow and surrounding areas
  • Newcastle, Sunderland, and surrounding areas
  • West Yorkshire
  • South Yorkshire
  • Greater Manchester, Bolton, Wigan and surrounding areas
  • Merseyside
  • North Wales
  • West Midlands
  • Greater London and surrounding areas
  • Cardiff and the Valley Lines?
  • Bristol, Bath, and Weston-super-Mare?
The following areas contain stations connected by zonal fares via alternative guided transport modes:
  • Edinburgh (tram)
  • Nottingham (tram)
As these zonal fare systems expand, what seemingly rather small locations (or close groups of locations) between them are left "nether here nor there"?

For instance, Upholland appears neither to be in the Merseyside nor the Greater Manchester zonal fare system; neither is Bescar Lane to Parbold, nor Widnes to Birchwood. New Mills to Grindleford is "left out" of both Greater Manchester and South Yorkshire. If travelling via XC, Cheltenham Spa is neither MetroWest nor West Midlands.

Perhaps more interestingly, where have zonal fare systems (or where will they) come to interact, either with a station serving as overlap or in-between two?

For instance, Denby Dale station has been amalgamated into the WYPTE Metro, previously having been adrift between it and South Yorkshire. Chester straddles North Wales and Mersyside zonal fares, where no such overlap exists on the Wrexham to Bidston line.

What other "fun" is there?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Unless I missed any, the following areas in the network are (or are soon to be) covered by zonal fare systems provided either by Passenger Transport Executives or local authorities:
  • Glasgow and surrounding areas
  • Newcastle, Sunderland, and surrounding areas
  • West Yorkshire
  • South Yorkshire
  • Greater Manchester, Bolton, Wigan and surrounding areas
  • Merseyside
  • North Wales
  • West Midlands
  • Greater London and surrounding areas
  • Cardiff and the Valley Lines?
  • Bristol, Bath, and Weston-super-Mare?
The following areas contain stations connected by zonal fares via alternative guided transport modes:
  • Edinburgh (tram)
  • Nottingham (tram)
As these zonal fare systems expand, what seemingly rather small locations (or close groups of locations) between them are left "nether here nor there"?

For instance, Upholland appears neither to be in the Merseyside nor the Greater Manchester zonal fare system; neither is Bescar Lane to Parbold, nor Widnes to Birchwood. New Mills to Grindleford is "left out" of both Greater Manchester and South Yorkshire. If travelling via XC, Cheltenham Spa is neither MetroWest nor West Midlands.

Perhaps more interestingly, where have zonal fare systems (or where will they) come to interact, either with a station serving as overlap or in-between two?

For instance, Denby Dale station has been amalgamated into the WYPTE Metro, previously having been adrift between it and South Yorkshire. Chester straddles North Wales and Mersyside zonal fares, where no such overlap exists on the Wrexham to Bidston line.

What other "fun" is there?
West Yorkshire and South Yorkshire have a border station (at 4 different points, Denby Dale, Darton, Moorthorpe and South Emsall) and you can travel through with 2 zonal tickets. This has been the case for more than 30 years (when I was spending a lot of time travelling round on them).

West Yorkshire and Greater Manchester do not and have a gap between the final station in each zone (Walsden/Littleborough and Marsden/Greenfield). However, with multi-mode tickets you can pass between the two (by bus) (as I did daily for 10 weeks in 1992).

Last edited:

alistairlees

Established Member
I believe Devon and Cornwall is soon to be a pay as you go area, though whether it will have multiple zones I don’t know.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
However, with multi-mode tickets you can pass between the two (as I did daily for 10 weeks in 1992).
Unfortunately I don't think that's valid - you're stuck paying a "tunnel tax" no matter which way you do it (though the tax is far greater for Standedge!).

With the presence of a long tunnel between the two counties it's understandable, to a degree, that there is no 'joint' station as with WYPTE and SYPTE on the 'flatlands' of Yorkshire. But making zonal tickets valid when combined would seem to make a lot of sense.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Unfortunately I don't think that's valid - you're stuck paying a "tunnel tax" no matter which way you do it (though the tax is far greater for Standedge!).

With the presence of a long tunnel between the two counties it's understandable, to a degree, that there is no 'joint' station as with WYPTE and SYPTE on the 'flatlands' of Yorkshire. But making zonal tickets valid when combined would seem to make a lot of sense.
I may not have been clear enough - with a pair of multimodal tickets you can pass through the boundary on a bus and rejoin the train at the next station. I'll edit my previous comment for clarity.

Last edited:

Roast Veg

Established Member
One could draw a map of all rovers with the same or similar travel restrictions and call it "zonal". Has anybody done that?

JBuchananGB

For instance, Upholland appears neither to be in the Merseyside nor the Greater Manchester zonal fare system; neither is Bescar Lane to Parbold,
Holders of Merseytravel passes travelling to Parbold from Southport treat Meols Cop as the boundary station and buy their tickets (usually at Southport station) with validity from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.