• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Isle of Man locks down - the consequences of “keep COVID out”

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad465

Established Member
Still getting worse on the IoM, with 8 now in hospital and active cases up to 369, with forecast rises still:

Eight people are in hospital suffering from Covid-19 on the Isle of Man, including one in intensive care.

The number of new infections rose by 56 overnight, a fall from the record high of 81 that were recorded on Sunday.

There are now 369 active coronavirus cases on the island, with public health director Henrietta Ewart warning the total was still set to rise.

She said many people would have "caught the virus in the community before the circuit breaker began" last week.

She said the Isle of Man had still not reached the peak of the current outbreak, but the numbers should "drop down" this week.

Health Minister David Ashford said the healthcare service would be able to “adapt” if there were further ICU admissions and up to 18 beds could be made available “if necessary”.

At what point do they achieve "zero-covid" by virtue of it burning out from this wave and vaccinations combined?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scarby

On the other hand, I suspect their residents would say that they've had a better last twelve months of it than anyone else in Europe.
They might well say it, though almost every day for the last 12 months I have given heartfelt thanks that I am living in Sweden.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
They might well say it, though almost every day for the last 12 months I have given heartfelt thanks that I am living in Sweden.

I'd agree with the sentiment in relation to the UK, where our leaders and scientists seem determined to compound and repeat the same mistakes.

brad465

Established Member
Still no sign of any improvement here, at this rate they might get herd immunity before long:

Coronavirus cases on the Isle of Man have risen by another 44 with 16 people in hospital, the most the island's health service has treated during the recent surge.

Admissions at Noble's Hospital reached a peak of 22 in late April last year during island's first wave of Covid-19.

Current infections stand at 818, a rise of more than 500 over the past week.

The island recorded its first Covid-19 death in more than four months on Friday, taking the death toll to 26.

The Isle of Man began a third lockdown on 2 March after a surge in unexplained cases.

Some 1,278 infections have now been recorded since the start of the pandemic.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They need to do the following things urgently (if they have not already done so):

1) admit that a zero Covid strategy is not sustainable
2) amend their dosing regimen to have a 12-week gap, to ensure as many people build up good immunity as quickly as possible; the booster jab can wait!
3) implement sustainable measures, with an acceptance that it is indoor transmission, not outdoors that drives infections; people should be encouraged to engage in outdoor exercise. A healthy, active population is in a far better position to fight a virus.

Will they do any of these things anytime soon? I really don't know but it would not surprise me if they do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.