• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Isle of Man Restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belperpete

Established Member
The Isle of Man is now covid-free, Easyjet have resumed flights to Douglas, hotels (and all businesses) there have been allowed to re-open with no social distancing requirements, and I can now travel to the airport to get there, so things were starting to look hopeful for my holiday booked for the very end of July (booked pre-covid).

Unfortunately, while the UK government is allowing unrestricted travel for those coming from the IoM, the IoM has not reciprocated (and to be honest, putting myself in their shoes, who could blame them). So I have been looking at the last remaining restriction: when will the Isle of Man re-open its borders? Unfortunately, they have just announced a five-stage border re-opening plan, the last stage of which is allowing visitors back:
IoM Borders Framework

Even if each stage only lasts a week, which is unlikely, it means they won't be reopening to tourists any time soon. I doubt that there will be a summer tourist season on the Isle of Man this year. I wonder if the steam and electric railways will open at all this year? The electric railway seems to be taking advantage of the closure to have a major relaying programme this summer.

The Manx government have been paying hotels compensation for loss of bookings, at a set rate per room, but that only covered up to the end of June. I presume that they will be extending it? And it only covered hotels of 3-star and above, and glamping sites not camp sites, as the Manx government only wants high-spending tourists. If their budget accommodation providers go bust, how will that affect the TT attendance, I wonder?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Djgr

Established Member
I think the Island has stashed enough cash from its tax haven days to isolate for the next hundred years.

squizzler

Established Member
I can't speak of the IoM position, but can confirm that Jersey has opened its borders now and that Easyjet come here, should you be able to trade in the plane tickets for another destination on the same airline and want to try another British island.

Established Member
The Isle of Man is now covid-free, Easyjet have resumed flights to Douglas, hotels (and all businesses) there have been allowed to re-open with no social distancing requirements, and I can now travel to the airport to get there, so things were starting to look hopeful for my holiday booked for the very end of July (booked pre-covid).

Unfortunately, while the UK government is allowing unrestricted travel for those coming from the IoM, the IoM has not reciprocated (and to be honest, putting myself in their shoes, who could blame them). So I have been looking at the last remaining restriction: when will the Isle of Man re-open its borders? Unfortunately, they have just announced a five-stage border re-opening plan, the last stage of which is allowing visitors back:
IoM Borders Framework

Even if each stage only lasts a week, which is unlikely, it means they won't be reopening to tourists any time soon. I doubt that there will be a summer tourist season on the Isle of Man this year. I wonder if the steam and electric railways will open at all this year? The electric railway seems to be taking advantage of the closure to have a major relaying programme this summer.

The Manx government have been paying hotels compensation for loss of bookings, at a set rate per room, but that only covered up to the end of June. I presume that they will be extending it? And it only covered hotels of 3-star and above, and glamping sites not camp sites, as the Manx government only wants high-spending tourists. If their budget accommodation providers go bust, how will that affect the TT attendance, I wonder?

Personally, I can't see the island's borders opening again until nearer or even after Christmas, to be honest. I have to say I think the way the island's government has dealt with the pandemic has been outstanding, and I can understand why they've decided not to re-open the borders at this particular time.

As for the heritage railways, I'd be very surprised if they operated this year unfortunately. But, it's really good to see the MER are taking advantage of the downtime with the track relaying programme, hopefully the IMR can as well. It'd be really nice to see the restorations of Maitland, F15 and F62 completed, as they've been ongoing for a number of years now.

Howardh

Established Member
Update 25 June 2020

The governments of the Isle of Man and Guernsey have agreed to form an air bridge allowing travel between the jurisdictions without the need for self-isolating on arrival. This air bridge is expected to be the first established by any governments in the British Isles, as well as being the first air bridge between two jurisdictions within the British Isles.

It is anticipated that commercial flights will begin next month and run for an initial six-week period, with Guernsey’s airline Aurigny due to announce details of flight schedules and ticket sales next week.
So IoM residents will be able to use this air-bridge to Guernsey and vice-versa. I assume the flights will be direct; which begs the question how much they will be used, and was this direct route available before Covid?
Or will they have to change at Manchester or Heathrow which complicates things?

Butts

Veteran Member
I think the Island has stashed enough cash from its tax haven days to isolate for the next hundred years.

Probably under Tetchy Tykes mattress - or has he been deported back to the mainland.

Good news for the IOM though.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
So IoM residents will be able to use this air-bridge to Guernsey and vice-versa. I assume the flights will be direct; which begs the question how much they will be used, and was this direct route available before Covid?

It was not available before, the flights are direct and operated by Aurigny, 60% of seats were sold on day one and every flight until September is now fully booked.

Probably under Tetchy Tykes mattress - or has he been deported back to the mainland.

I'll only get deported if I ever refer to it as the mainland :lol: It's "across", always "across".

Personally, I can't see the island's borders opening again until nearer or even after Christmas, to be honest. I have to say I think the way the island's government has dealt with the pandemic has been outstanding, and I can understand why they've decided not to re-open the borders at this particular time.

I think it will be sooner than that, I would expect the border control to be level two quite quickly, maybe by mid September. Level Two is where residents can travel freely, but non-residents can only come here if they have family here and are sponsored. A lot of people who live here have immediate family living across.

I'm in no rush for the border to re-open. We have no restrictions here in day-to-day life. No restrictions in pubs and restaurants, no queuing outside shops, all sports facilities open again, including swimming pools. No masks. I can hug my friends. Schools are re-open, over 90% of children are attending.

I'd rather keep the border shut and keep my standard of living, to be quite honest.

I'd be very surprised if they operated this year unfortunately.

I think they will operate, because there is a lot of pressure from locals who want to embrace staycation. The volunteer-run railways at Groudle Glen and Laxey Mine have re-opened, at least. The MER will be a while yet because they're embarking on a track laying programme, very sensibly, but the steam railway should be able to open. The steam railway has the longest season of all the heritage railways, so fingers crossed.

I think it will boil down to money. The heritage railways lose money- about £2m a year- so it's whether the government want to open for locals only. I hope so, I bought my annual ticket two days before lockdown started!

Established Member
I think it will be sooner than that, I would expect the border control to be level two quite quickly, maybe by mid September. Level Two is where residents can travel freely, but non-residents can only come here if they have family here and are sponsored. A lot of people who live here have immediate family living across.

I'm in no rush for the border to re-open. We have no restrictions here in day-to-day life. No restrictions in pubs and restaurants, no queuing outside shops, all sports facilities open again, including swimming pools. No masks. I can hug my friends. Schools are re-open, over 90% of children are attending.

I'd rather keep the border shut and keep my standard of living, to be quite honest.

As my Mum lives there, it's good to hear I might have a chance of visiting before Christmas, particularly as it's been over eight months since I last saw her.

The quality of life on the island is brilliant, but, ultimately it was a bit too quiet for me. I prefer life in the city.

I think they will operate, because there is a lot of pressure from locals who want to embrace staycation. The volunteer-run railways at Groudle Glen and Laxey Mine have re-opened, at least. The MER will be a while yet because they're embarking on a track laying programme, very sensibly, but the steam railway should be able to open. The steam railway has the longest season of all the heritage railways, so fingers crossed.

I think it will boil down to money. The heritage railways lose money- about £2m a year- so it's whether the government want to open for locals only. I hope so, I bought my annual ticket two days before lockdown started!

I'm not sure with the IMR, as I understand only Fenella, Kissack, Caledonia and the diesel locomotive are available for service, with Loch, G. H. Wood, Maitland and Hutchinson all waiting for new boilers. If the IMR was to resume this year, I'd imagine it would be a reduced timetable, although I suppose that's better than nothing.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
If the IMR was to resume this year, I'd imagine it would be a reduced timetable, although I suppose that's better than nothing.

The IMR and MER were both open before lockdown, although only for about three days in the case of the MER. So there should be sufficient stock to run the IMR standard timetable, which only needs two trains.
As my Mum lives there, it's good to hear I might have a chance of visiting before Christmas, particularly as it's been over eight months since I last saw her.

The quality of life on the island is brilliant, but, ultimately it was a bit too quiet for me. I prefer life in the city.

That's just my guess, but who knows.

The complete withdrawal of all social distancing caught most of us by surprise, there'd been no hint they were considering it. I don't know if the kerfuffle about them cancelling "moving" Senior Day bank holiday on the sly influenced things.

The opening of pubs caught everyone by surprise too, draught beer stock was low, even from Bushy's who'd been desperately bottling their draught stuff in milk cartons and selling it relatively cheaply in Shoprite. So there's always a chance of a sudden and unexpected improvement.

I think realistically tourists won't be welcome until 2021. The IOM government are recruiting for Covid restrictions officers, who'd be responsible for exemption certificates, etc, on a fixed term to March 2021.

But I think families of residents, and business people, will be allowed in much sooner, as it'll be a lot easier to contract trace. As I said, my guess is by autumn half-term, probably before, but it's just my guess. A lot of it depends how quickly England improves- or, more accurately, doesn't.

I hope so, anyway. I've not seen my 10yo, who lives in Cumbria, since January. She was meant to come at Easter. And my parents were meant to be here for race week. Ah well.

Last edited:

Established Member
The IMR and MER were both open before lockdown, although only for about three days in the case of the MER. So there should be sufficient stock to run the IMR standard timetable, which only needs two trains.

I thought it was a bit more than that, my mistake.

But I think families of residents, and business people, will be allowed in much sooner, as it'll be a lot easier to contract trace. As I said, my guess is by autumn half-term, probably before, but it's just my guess. A lot of it depends how quickly England improves- or, more accurately, doesn't.

I hope so, anyway. I've not seen my 10yo, who lives in Cumbria, since January. She was meant to come at Easter. And my parents were meant to be here for race week. Ah well.

I know exactly how you feel, I haven't seen two of my daughters since Christmas.

I hope you can see your daughter and parents soon.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I thought it was a bit more than that, my mistake.

The summer weekend and TT timetable is a lot more intensive, but the bog standard timetable is four trains in each direction, with the occasional dining train and "commuter club" breakfast train. And when you're more off-season the trains are short enough to comfortably be hauled by one locomotive.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. IOM Transport say they're waiting for "permission" to run, but from whom that permission needs to come is unclear. I get the impression that certain parts of the DOI would rather they didn't run, as the trains are loss-making even at the best of times, but we shall see. The "full summer timetable" on the busesthis year doesn't include many of the more touristy buses to places like Cregneash and Round Table, so who knows.

I think they will run, the likes of Groudle opening up puts them to shame and there are plenty of Manx ready to staycation to keep the economy going, but I honestly wouldn't put money on it.

I hope you can see your daughter and parents soon.
Thank you, you too!

The first thing my mum asks me on every video call is if I've heard anything about the borders...

Established Member
The summer weekend and TT timetable is a lot more intensive, but the bog standard timetable is four trains in each direction, with the occasional dining train and "commuter club" breakfast train. And when you're more off-season the trains are short enough to comfortably be hauled by one locomotive.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. IOM Transport say they're waiting for "permission" to run, but from whom that permission needs to come is unclear. I get the impression that certain parts of the DOI would rather they didn't run, as the trains are loss-making even at the best of times, but we shall see. The "full summer timetable" on the busesthis year doesn't include many of the more touristy buses to places like Cregneash and Round Table, so who knows.

I think they will run, the likes of Groudle opening up puts them to shame and there are plenty of Manx ready to staycation to keep the economy going, but I honestly wouldn't put money on it.

The timetable is very intensive during the transport festivals too, I'm sure one year I was living there pretty much everything they had available was out in service. As an enthusiast, it was brilliant to see, and I think you'll really enjoy it too.

That's a very bizarre reason, to say the least. Sadly, I do feel that you are right, and the border closure and resulting lack of tourists visiting the island this year could be used as a reason not to run the heritage railways this year. I also feel that the island's railways aren't advertised very well either, because I hardly ever see any adverts for them in either of the tourism sections in the Daily Mirror or Liverpool Echo. They would easily make more money if they were advertised to a wider audience on a more regular basis.

Thank you, you too!

The first thing my mum asks me on every video call is if I've heard anything about the borders...

Thank you. :)

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
In two weeks the border reopens to residents, providing you isolate for 14 days on your return.

The number of people losing themselves about this is ridiculous. I'm sure most of it is just social media morons, but still.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Sadly, I do feel that you are right, and the border closure and resulting lack of tourists visiting the island this year could be used as a reason not to run the heritage railways this year.

I'm delighted to be wrong, the MER and steam railway reopen next week. A shorter season has been announced, taking us to mid September, and there's no news about the Snaefell tram.

But they're back! I'm very excited.

Belperpete

Established Member
I'm delighted to be wrong, the MER and steam railway reopen next week. A shorter season has been announced, taking us to mid September, and there's no news about the Snaefell tram.

But they're back! I'm very excited.

That is good news indeed. Unfortunately I suspect it will only be locals, and perhaps those from the Channel Islands, that get to use the services this year. Even so, whenever I have travelled on the steam railway, there has always been a fair sprinkling of locals, mainly retirees - do they travel free?

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
there has always been a fair sprinkling of locals, mainly retirees - do they travel free?

An annual season ticket which covers the horse tram, the steam railway, the MER and the Snaefell tram is only £75 for locals, and OAPs get a 50% discount, which helps!

John Luxton

Established Member
As well as railways my other pet interest is shipping and many weekend spring to early autumn sees me taking a trip across to the IoM by sea. I have done this for 25 years and have really missed my day trips and the few short stays on the island. I visit so often that around 22 years ago I joined the Steam Packet's Manannan Travel Club which provides for a private lounge with excellent views complimentary snacks and inclusive inclusive alcoholic drinks. Whilst the company have extended to membership period as club subs were collected just before all this started I feel really fed up that my summer trips have been messed up.

I have a former colleague whose daughter works on the Island as a teacher and she picked up on information doing the rounds back in June - presumably from the Department of Education that the border is likely to remain closed to UK residents either to Christmas or just after.

I am always sceptical of Christmas deadlines - remember 1914 and 1939?

They all said it would be over by Christmas - problem was they didn't say which Christmas!:'(

John

Status
Not open for further replies.