• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Isle of Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gemz91

Looking at going to the Isle of Man next week, I know theres a ticket you can get that includes the ferry, are you able to use priv on these? Is the ferry from Heysham?

Cheers for any help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trivran

Couldn't tell you for privs but I'm pretty sure the ticket lets you choose either Heysham or Liverpool for the ferry.

Last edited:

Gemz91

Cheers. Bit of an amateur when it comes to ferries, will have a look from Liverpool (apologies this is probably in the wrong section now).

steamybrian

Established Member
Several years ago I got a managed to get privilege return from Heysham to Douglas on the ferry service.
Please apply through your travel facilities provider.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Priv on the IOM ferry is only available to certain categories of protected staff. It is not available to TOC new entrants.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
For the sake of completeness, Active Safeguarded Staff can get two free journeys on IoMSPC services per year for themselves only.

Other categories of Safeguarded staff (Retired, Widow, Dependent) need to rebook at the port and get a discount there.

TOC New Entrants (i.e. those who started on or after 1st April 1996) get nowt.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Just to add (and slightly off topic) but the Steam Racket catamaran from Liverpool is much faster than the ferry from Heysham.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Just to add (and slightly off topic) but the Steam Racket catamaran from Liverpool is much faster than the ferry from Heysham.

So I am told, and the Ben My Chree crossing from Heysham is a fairly tedious experience on a vessel not ideally suited for many passengers.

Having said that, I normally go from Heysham, as although it is a longer journey I can get there from home a lot quicker than Liverpool, so the time I might save in the crossing from Liverpool, I waste in getting there in the first place.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a question about IoM SailRail. Every year my brother goes the the IoM for TT week and usually buys separate train and ferry tickets. He books the ferry many months in advance as they do get full up, although Steam Packet so put on extra services around this time. Is it possible to use the SailRail fare, which he says is usually less than what he normally pays to travel, during TT week? I know that the tickets themselves aren't prohibited but the the question is how far in advance are the ferry bookings possible at railway ticket offices, and whether there will be any places are left by that time. Has anyone managed to do it?

Gemz91

Cheers, just had a look at that, but theres only one a day and its too late, trying to get to the Isle of Man for a 7pm Kick off (Isle of Man v Leeds United Res) but not really wanting to do two nights in a hotel.

(Apologies this has gone off topic now, originally started the topic wanting to know if I could use pirv on Sailrail).

IanM

For the sake of completeness, Active Safeguarded Staff can get two free journeys on IoMSPC services per year for themselves only.

Other categories of Safeguarded staff (Retired, Widow, Dependent) need to rebook at the port and get a discount there.

TOC New Entrants (i.e. those who started on or after 1st April 1996) get nowt.

All correct, but just to add that you need to apply through RSTL, using form 1509 off their web site, which then has to be sent via your employer for certification before the employer sends it to RSTL which will take 2 or 3 weeks to process it and then send the travel coupon back to your employer who will, eventually give it to you. Allow at least 3 or 4 weeks for all that, and when you've got your coupon, you can the start the second half of the process - exchanging it for a reservation. In order to do that, you need to pay port taxes (currently £5). I usually do it by post to IOMSPCo in Douglas, enclosing a cheque or debit card details, and they will then send you (by post or email) a booking reference for your chosen sailings. It's not a quick process, but it does all work - you can't just turn up at the port with your PRIV card!

So I am told, and the Ben My Chree crossing from Heysham is a fairly tedious experience on a vessel not ideally suited for many passengers.
Manannan from Liverpool is supposed to be quicker, yes, and in good weather with all the engines working she undoubtedly is but she’s not proved to be the most reliable boat……

The Ben on the other hand is a good steady old plodder, which pretty consistently does the trip in just under 4 hours in most weather conditions. Yes, she has a lower passenger certificate than Manannan, but she’s perfectly comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.