• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Isle Of Wight Beer and Buses Weekend 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdbrain

Hello,

Just thought I would let you all know about this years beer and buses weekend. It will be held on Saturday 17th and Sunday 18th October based at the new bus museum at Ryde and the quay at Newport with a shuttle service linking the two sites. This year we have even more pubs and even more buses operating. Buses will link up with island line trains at Shanklin and Ryde Esplanade. The programme contains vouchers for every pub with Southern Vectis and Island Line vouchers. Have a look at our website for the full list of buses confirmed to operate and join us on facebook for regular updated. Just ask if you have any questions, we'd love to see you ok the island in October.

The buses - http://iwbeerandbuses.co.uk/buses.php

The route map - http://iwbeerandbuses.co.uk/map.php

Order your programme - http://iwbeerandbuses.co.uk/programme.php

Join us on Facebook - https://facebook.com/events/1553823844851851

��

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
I have booked the ferry and accomodation. It will be my first ever visit to the Isle of Wight and I am really looking forward to it! :)

I went to the similar Alton event last year and thought it was a great weekend so hoping it reaches the good entertainment standards set by the organisers of that event.

Last edited:

Birdbrain

Yes Alton is a great event too. Hope you enjoy your first visit here ??????

Birdbrain

Just a gentle reminder to try and convince you to visit the Isle of Wight next weekend for what will be the biggest bus event ever staged on the island. We have a massive 12 Bristol Re's and 12 Bristol VR's in service amongst many other types. All links above and I can answer any questions you might have. Hope to see you soon!

Rick1984

I'm home from sea on the 12th so will probably head along.
See there is a route up Culver Down which has caught my eye. I've been meaning to check out the pub up there.

Last edited:

extendedpaul

I'm definitely attending on Sat 17th and am planning a possible itinerary from the (excellent) timetable booklet.

Will there be any open top buses and if so is there any way of knowing in advance which routes/times they will be operating ?

83G/84D

Established Member
I think you have to obtain a supplement to the timetable book on the day so no way of pre-planning which buses to ride on.

I am pretty sure this is the case.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Sounds like this will be a good event - is it an annual thing? If so, maybe one for a forum meet next year...

Birdbrain

@Rick1984 - Route F to Culver Down is a spectacular route not to be missed. A new features for 2015 is that some departures will be operated by a double deck bus (Bristol VR) - the first time a double deck bus has worked up there.

@extendedpaul - Open top buses will not be running as part of the main Beer and Buses network routes A-X due to safety reasons. Instead, the open top buses on the entrants list will be running on their own special routes, details of which can be found in the vehicle supplement. Basically, there are special routes from Ryde on the Saturday and from both Ryde and Newport on the Sunday.

@83G/84D - This is correct. We wait until as close to the weekend as we can to print the supplement so the allocations/diagrams are correct. The supplement with full vehicle diagrams will be available from Thursday 15th October at the Bus Museum in Ryde and Newport Ale House for those of you that want to pre-plan your moves in detail. The supplements will also be sold Saturday & Sunday from the Bus Museum and the special operating site on Newport Quay.

@theblackwatch - Yes this is our second year but it will now be an annual event!

Rick1984

I'll definitely try and get up there! Been once before briefly by car but this sounds like more fun.

I'll pop along to the Bus Museum for a programme as I live five minutes round the corner.

Edit
Got my programme, quite excited and even my wife is showing some interest!

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
Thanks to all the organisers and any other people involved with the event. I had a great weekend although I did not manage to see the VR going up to Culver Down.

Hopefully it will be repeated at a future event and I'll be in position at the correct time.

Great selection of vehicles seen and pubs visited. Importantly the weather "played ball" and was fine all weekend.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

extendedpaul

I also had a great day. I thought the event was extremely well organised with plenty of different types of buses and some wonderful scenery especially on the routes D/E through Ventnor and Niton. Good pubs and fine beer too. Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.