• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Israel - Skips and other GMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Recent visit to Israel which must now be the nearest place to the UK which has an intensive diesel-hauled service. 86 locos across three classes are in the passenger pool all powered by GM 710 power units, the majority being basically straight 67 clones and the others being a 68-style body but none of the noise. Fascinating place and great for filling the book up with over 70 locos there to be had over a few days!

https://87015aewn.wordpress.com/2018/12/04/israel-november-2018/
ir-733-769-tel-aviv.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

87electric

Thanks for sharing the photos and info. Interesting you compare to Switzerland moneywise. Good to know.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I was there last week and the wires are going up rapidly on the section between Ben Gurion airport and Tel Aviv itself, which will allow the Jerusalem service to be extended.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Very interesting, enjoyed reading about it.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Despite what some may think, this is a fascinating country. I managed 53 new diesels for haulage in one day earlier this year! (Not sure I'll ever beat that?) Plus plenty of tourist interest - I had a day at Jerusalem which was fascinating and in my 'top 10' of tourpst destinations of all time. Just make sure you get used to teenage squaddies wandering round with guns on the trains though...

Status
Not open for further replies.