• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Issue with train crew cancellation, yet train still ran

Status
Not open for further replies.
1600980562439.png
The 2118 service to Clacton-on-Sea was cancelled today between London Liverpool Street and Shenfield but according to Realtime Trains and Open Train Times signalling data it has run from London Liverpool Street. What could cause this service to have the issue with train crew yet still run? Would it be something to do with DOO/Requirement of a guard on certain stations or something similar as that's the only thing I can think of right now?
<https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C12155/2020-09-24/detailed>

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

StephenHunter

Established Member
Shouldn't be any guard requirement at Stratford; they have platform dispatchers there for peak operations and that's not a peak hour operation.

dk1

Veteran Member
View attachment 83918
The 2118 service to Clacton-on-Sea was cancelled today between London Liverpool Street and Shenfield but according to Realtime Trains and Open Train Times signalling data it has run from London Liverpool Street. What could cause this service to have the issue with train crew yet still run? Would it be something to do with DOO/Requirement of a guard on certain stations or something similar as that's the only thing I can think of right now?
<https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C12155/2020-09-24/detailed>
Simply no driver in London for whatever reason. Service restarted at Shenfield so may have been 'spinned' up road. Guard only required Colchester-Clacton.

Service restarted at Shenfield so may have been 'spinned' up road. Guard only required Colchester-Clacton.
I get this bit, however
Simply no driver in London for whatever reason.
This is the bit where I was confused as the train was worked from London to Shenfield by someone. The next Clacton service starts also from Shenfield which is weird.

Veteran Member
Which train are we talking about here? The OP's image refers to the 2218, but they then discuss the 2118.
The 2035 Colchester Tn-LST has been cancelled, and this might be the inward working for the 2218.

dk1

Veteran Member
I get this bit, however

This is the bit where I was confused as the train was worked from London to Shenfield by someone. The next Clacton service starts also from Shenfield which is weird.
Did it start in London or just from Shenfield?

theironroad

Established Member
Oops looks like I've confused the 2118 and the 2218 sorry guys

Indeed . I was trying to work out how the 2118 was just arriving in Colchester as 1N60

As a separate question why is it shown on RTT as pathed as a 360 from liv st col then a 321 on to Clacton?

RailWonderer

Established Member
Indeed . I was trying to work out how the 2118 was just arriving in Colchester as 1N60

As a separate question why is it shown on RTT as pathed as a 360 from liv st col then a 321 on to Clacton?
RTT gets confused. With each bi-annual timetable, GA change up the diagrams. Over the years the 21:18 and 22:18 have both been 360s and 321s.

RailWonderer

Established Member
RTT is not confused; what you are looking at is just a timing load shown in open data sites (such as OTT, RTT etc).

See this post:

The post is basically saying RTT isn’t very accurate because there is a convoluted system of different timing loads kept in different places, some are open, some closed, and RTT has scraps of different ones. I knew it was never accurate, but it does explain why timing data contradicts.
Because one train doesn’t morph into another when it reaches a station. Also LNER and Scotrail allocations are shown on RTT, but they must have some individual agreement with RTT for these to be published every morning but someone probably has a thread on that already and what other operators may be interested in doing the same.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The post is basically saying RTT isn’t very accurate because there is a convoluted system of different timing loads kept in different places, some are open, some closed, and RTT has scraps of different ones. I knew it was never accurate, but it does explain why timing data contradicts.
Because one train doesn’t morph into another when it reaches a station. Also LNER and Scotrail allocations are shown on RTT, but they must have some individual agreement with RTT for these to be published every morning but someone probably has a thread on that already and what other operators may be interested in doing the same.

The chap who is working with RTT is in the process of trying to persuade all TOCs to display the information but things delayed by COVID

Tom

Because one train doesn’t morph into another when it reaches a station.
RTT shows the same as literally any other railway system that pulls this data from the CIF file format - which is a vast number of them. It is a semi-conscious decision by the train operator to load a train with that timing load, which the rolling stock that then operates on that path should have characteristics representative or in excess of that of the pathed type. It's nothing about RTT not being very accurate, it's literally showing the same as every other railway system - this once again seems to be about the common misconception that timing load = rolling stock.
Also LNER and Scotrail allocations are shown on RTT, but they must have some individual agreement with RTT for these to be published every morning but someone probably has a thread on that already and what other operators may be interested in doing the same.
Yes, those operators (plus GBRf, Caledonian Sleeper, Locomotive Services Ltd) have reached a private agreement. If an operator has allocations on RTT then they are updated normally every hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.