• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

It ain't half hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
Wasn't moaning and groaning. Was Only asking!

The comment wasn’t aimed at you ; it was aimed at all the people I’ve seen and heard these last few days. Saw a squabble on the train this evening after someone boarded without pressing the door close button after them. If people dressed appropriately then they wouldn’t feel cold. Dread to think how people are going to react when it *really* turns cold, down south there hasn’t been a proper cold winter for a few years now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

amateur

On Moderation
1st week of November was relatively mild.

2nd week of November complete change!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Clearly they're not visiting my little corner. I feel cold just hearing the wind.

SS4

Established Member
It's still fairly warm in the UK although perhaps having spent last week in Iceland may have something to do with that - we even had snow flurries in Reykjavik

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Well, apparently we are going to get a three week long Arctic spell, starting this coming weekend...

DelayRepay

Established Member
I finally gave in last night and turned the heating on... until now I've just been putting it on for an odd half hour here and there.

I keep hearing that we're going to have a "bad winter" but I don't know if this is based on science or just scaremongering by the Daily Express. Coming from Yorkshire I am familiar with "bad winters" where snow falls and stays on the streets for a week or two. Since I moved to the South East, I've only experienced one bad winter which was 2010 (am I imagining things or did the Army get called in to help clear snow from airport runways just before Christmas that year?)

najaB

Veteran Member
I keep hearing that we're going to have a "bad winter" but I don't know if this is based on science or just scaremongering by the Daily Express.
The latter. Last I heard, the models are split between 'slightly colder than usual' and 'slightly milder than usual'.

SS4

Established Member
Well, apparently we are going to get a three week long Arctic spell, starting this coming weekend...

CIFeEIE.jpg

Picture is of Sonic the Hedgehog tapping his foot impatiently with the caption "I'm Waiting..." underneath

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It’s very rough and windy tonight. The wind is blowing down the chimney and I left our bedroom window open which has caused many leaves to land on the bed.
Quite warm though...

Crossover

Established Member
I was astounded that when I went to the car this morning, the temperature showed as 13 degrees C. I have just got home and it is currently 15 degrees C here in Yorkshire. Blustery though and it has been so for most of the afternoon at least - the drive across the Pennines was fun tonight with the strong winds with rain behind it - whilst the rain was light, it sometimes didn't feel it with the wind behind it!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was astounded that when I went to the car this morning, the temperature showed as 13 degrees C. I have just got home and it is currently 15 degrees C here in Yorkshire. Blustery though and it has been so for most of the afternoon at least - the drive across the Pennines was fun tonight with the strong winds with rain behind it - whilst the rain was light, it sometimes didn't feel it with the wind behind it!

See? I told you it was hot! ;)

dgl

Established Member
18 degrees inside midday on Portland, still waiting for the chill. Quite a stong breeze here though, although what we call a strong breeze most people would call a strong gale.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
18 degrees inside midday on Portland, still waiting for the chill. Quite a stong breeze here though, although what we call a strong breeze most people would call a strong gale.
Yes it’s pretty exposed on Portland Bill.
Fascinating place though. The last time I was there a couple of years ago it was lovely and sunny and we decided to have a walk around that funny shanty town near the lighthouse. We parked the van and when I got out the wind nearly ripped the door off. It was so strong I couldn’t hold onto it!

roversfan2001

Established Member
It's been fairly warm so far, albeit a bit wet. Waiting for when winter really comes and my half hour walk to and from college starts to feel a lot longer. <(

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
WARM?

2degC showing on the weather app, and it felt colder than that walking back from the pub. Damn you all with your double-digit temperatures!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
WARM?

2degC showing on the weather app, and it felt colder than that walking back from the pub. Damn you all with your double-digit temperatures!
Hehhehheh. I’m a bit hot actually.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Once upon a time I considered myself to be a bit hot, but since 40 happened that's all out the window.

Oh, "that" kind of hot. My bad...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Once upon a time I considered myself to be a bit hot, but since 40 happened that's all out the window.

Oh, "that" kind of hot. My bad...
I’m sure you are hot Gus. To Octogenarians...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The warm(er) weather has indeed clung on a bit - and in fact the snowdrops have come into flower this morning, and a bush is displaying some small yellow flowers - that normally happens in March!

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
From 15C last night to 5C at home this morning (to a low of around 2-3C at Windy Hill (Jn 22 of the M62) - just a bit of a dive from yesterday!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I have seen three blokes in the past week, still wearing shorts.

Good god man!
Were they going on safari?

i am still wearing shorts in the house. It is only November. I have turned the heating off again. Coming from the North East 13c counts as the summer! Down here in MK we don't even get the special north east winter horizontal rain which feels like being shot blasted

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
i am still wearing shorts in the house. It is only November. I have turned the heating off again. Coming from the North East 13c counts as the summer! Down here in MK we don't even get the special north east winter horizontal rain which feels like being shot blasted

Shorts are to be worn in all weathers, of course. Better in rain as your skin doesn't soak the water up, and waterproof trousers make me sweat more than the water they attempt to keep out.

Status
Not open for further replies.