• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

It pays to press "more"

Status
Not open for further replies.

table38

Established Member
I'm over in Liverpool today and thought I'd get a first class return (because I'm worth it :)) and the return fare in the machine from Piccadilly was £37.60.

But as I'd been messing around earlier trying to see if you can buy Rangers from TVMs, I happened to press "more" and found a TPE only 1st Anytime Return for £29.40

But hang on, unless you can go via Crewe or something, Northern and East Midlands don't do first class, so you would have to go TPE anyway...

So what us the point in offering the £37.60 ticket? And now many people buy that without realising there is a cheaper ticket in the next screen?
;</rant>

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm over in Liverpool today and thought I'd get a first class return (because I'm worth it :)) and the return fare in the machine from Piccadilly was £37.60.

But as I'd been messing around earlier trying to see if you can buy Rangers from TVMs, I happened to press "more" and found a TPE only 1st Anytime Return for £29.40

But hang on, unless you can go via Crewe or something, Northern and East Midlands don't do first class, so you would have to go TPE anyway...

So what us the point in offering the £37.60 ticket? And now many people buy that without realising there is a cheaper ticket in the next screen?
;</rant>

I see one side effect of it; Northern offer later services each way than TPE do, so if you missed the last TPE service you couldn't excess your TPE Only ticket to Any Permitted, in order to travel in standard with Northern.

Edit: Additionally, London Midland offer first class, and they serve Lime St - L South Parkway. So theoretically they'd gain a percentage of revenue from the Any Permitted ticket, whereas TPE Only precludes LM from getting any.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.