• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

It's "have" not "of".

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaleCooper

Established Member
I had assumed the use of "of" in place of "have" in phrases such as "I should of bought a ticket" was a relatively recent phenomenon but I've just discovered this

"We must of took the wrong fork back yonder."

in the 1943 Ray Bradbury short story "The Scythe".

It's not just a product of text messages and the internet after all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
"Must of" annoy's me to, but not as much as misused apopstrophe's. Loosers!

:D

SS4

Established Member
That's pretty cool actually, especially since they're used interchangably in the spoken word

HowardGWR

Established Member
I had assumed the use of "of" in place of "have" in phrases such as "I should of bought a ticket" was a relatively recent phenomenon but I've just discovered this

in the 1943 Ray Bradbury short story "The Scythe".

It's not just a product of text messages and the internet after all.

Yes but that was quoted speech. It wasn't Bradbury's idea of acceptable English. He was just quoting that which people say.

Is there a difference between dialect and illiteracy?

On our main correspondence threads, the written text submitted often exposes the writer's illiteracy. Initially. I was tempted to reply as a grammar policeman but after a few attempts, I realised that it would only create anger or the correspondent's hurt. I don't bother with such, any longer.

If they think 'of' is a verb, that's the way it is for them. They also don't know the difference between 'less' and 'fewer' and that latter mistake, I note, comes from supposedly educated people.

'Less punctuality', 'fewer punctual trains'. 'Less reliability'. 'fewer reliable services'.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think people have long used that structure of words in speech - common in the north east for example
I disagree. People are saying "should've" (which is a valid abbreviation of "should have") but they are just pouncing it in a way that some people may interpret as sounding like "should of".

pemma

Veteran Member
I was told at school it's OK to say things like 'would of' but it's not OK to write them and you should write 'would have' instead.

pemma

Veteran Member
They also don't know the difference between 'less' and 'fewer' and that latter mistake, I note, comes from supposedly educated people.

Remember it was managers of the main supermarkets who came up with '10 items or less' aisles. I believe '10 items or fewer' aisles are available in Waitrose and M&S stores. ;)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I disagree. People are saying "should've" (which is a valid abbreviation of "should have") but they are just pouncing it in a way that some people may interpret as sounding like "should of".

they are not - there is a hard o in the pronunciation quite distinctive in speech especially in North eastern accents - perhaps York is more refined and well educated ;)

Calthrop

Established Member
They also don't know the difference between 'less' and 'fewer' and that latter mistake, I note, comes from supposedly educated people.

'Less punctuality', 'fewer punctual trains'. 'Less reliability'. 'fewer reliable services'.

Remember it was managers of the main supermarkets who came up with '10 items or less' aisles. I believe '10 items or fewer' aisles are available in Waitrose and M&S stores. ;)

I love the tale of the Pedants' Revolt, led by Which Tyler. At one stage in this epic, the king rides out to try to negotiate with the rebels. He gets to the place where they're all gathered, and exclaims, "Good gracious ! You people are numerous -- I'd imagined that there'd be less of you." Response thereto by Which and his followers, in one mighty in-unison shout: "FEWER !"

(I'm in favour of good and proper English usage; but feel that there are worse evils in the world, than the violation of same.)

meridian2

It almost certainly began that way, but the contraction has taken on a life of its own. The conditional mood has taken its leave.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

That's put a cat among the pigeons! ;)

(Coat already retrieved).

CarlSilva

Did you mean, "Reported for grammar Nazism."?

I don't know. I cant' spell 'grammar nazi ism.' Do I won £5 ? ;)

Really it's just about if someone can understand it or not. If they can, then no biggie is it? If they cant' then is there an app wtih the subtitles ?Or is that only youtube ?

Busaholic

Veteran Member

Usually 'baskets only' aisles these days - a nice way to think of their punters (sorry, valued customers):lol:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I think when I say "should've" it could very easily sound like 'of' I often don't include the hard 'o'. For example if I'm saying Bridge of Allan I will almost always pronounce that in the same way I'd pronounce should've. It sounds much like 'Bridge've Allan'. Unless the 'of' is at the start of a sentence I won't usually stress the 'o'. But that's also connected to my accent which never incorporates the hard 'a' in glass, bath, pass (this word sounds nothing like parse!) etc.

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
We were given 100 lines at school for every mistake we made like that, by the English master. :oops:

meridian2

My eldest son says wiv for with. No one else in the family pronounces it that way. I'd like to get grumpy but he got 3 A* and an A at A level (including English) so I live with it. The job of the old is to live in the shadow of the young.

Status
Not open for further replies.