• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ITSO Smartcard contactless tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
You can excess a smartcard ticket or season ticket, if they have their own PAYG.

The Key allows you to travel beyond the validity of your ticket, as long as the station is in the KeyGo area. You get charged from the last station where your original ticket ends.
In this case I was traveling via a more expensive route rather than just a greater distance than the ticket was for. So whilst the distance was greater, the end station was rhe same.

I actually returned back drom Motspur Park after 7pm and I would have expected to need an off peak ticket. However, checking on the SWR app suggested otherwise and I tapped put at Guildford without issue.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
I'm not defending smartcards but do bear in mind that excesses, even for paper tickets, are notoriously hard to obtain so this may well be an issue about staff not able or willing to issue excesses rather than an issue about whether excesses can be obtained for tickets held on a smartcard.
Well I can only go on what the member of staff said and assume they were telling the truth.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Well I can only go on what the member of staff said and assume they were telling the truth.

It wouldn't be the first instance of staff making up their own rules....

infobleep

Veteran Member
It wouldn't be the first instance of staff making up their own rules....
I'm sure it wouldn't be but should I just assuming everything a member of staff tells me is wrong? I can't work like that. So I have to trust someone.

In this case though it was the government losing the money as I wasn't asked to pay my fair share. I could have not gone to the ticket office and easily got away with not paying the difference but I felt I should go. May times have I got a split ticket and saved money. So when something like this occurs I feel I should try and pay what I owe.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I'm sure it wouldn't be but should I just assuming everything a member of staff tells me is wrong? I can't work like that. So I have to trust someone.

In this case though it was the government losing the money as I wasn't asked to pay my fair share. I could have not gone to the ticket office and easily got away with not paying the difference but I felt I should go. May times have I got a split ticket and saved money. So when something like this occurs I feel I should try and pay what I owe.
Let's just say that your conscience and patience is rather greater than most other passengers... If the rail industry wants people to pay the right fare they need to make it easy to do so. If they want people to adopt smartcards they need to make them work just as easily and universally as paper tickets do. Currently they are still far from that and I see no incentive in trying to learn what smartcard is valid where, when and so forth when I can use a paper ticket perfectly well instead.

Envy123

In this case I was traveling via a more expensive route rather than just a greater distance than the ticket was for. So whilst the distance was greater, the end station was rhe same.

I actually returned back drom Motspur Park after 7pm and I would have expected to need an off peak ticket. However, checking on the SWR app suggested otherwise and I tapped put at Guildford without issue.

Once SWR introduce PAYG, they should auto charge an excess on a different route, but that would require different barriers for local and regional trains.

On GTR, it's way easier as I haven't seen any route based tickets here.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Once SWR introduce PAYG, they should auto charge an excess on a different route, but that would require different barriers for local and regional trains.

The Hertford Loop presents some different route-based tickets depending on whether you go via the slower, shorter route, or whether you double back (via Finsbury Park or London).

mattdickinson

SWR have had PAYG for some time (called Tap2Go). It's account based, and only takes account of touches in and out, with no route differentiation.

Envy123

The Hertford Loop presents some different route-based tickets depending on whether you go via the slower, shorter route, or whether you double back (via Finsbury Park or London).

In that case, keyGo will charge to Finsbury Park and Finsbury Park (FPK) to the final destination. I guess that's one way to solve it.

SWR have had PAYG for some time (called Tap2Go). It's account based, and only takes account of touches in and out, with no route differentiation.

Does Clapham Junction have the barriers before the platforms like FPK? If not, it can be a revenue loss for SWR if there was no route differentiation.

infobleep

Veteran Member

Travelling to Motspur Park via Clapham Junction can be done on an express train from Portsmouth to Clapham Junction and then a local metro train to Motspur Park.

Equally it could be a local metro train to Wimbledon via Woking and then a train back to Motspur Park, using the via Clapham Junction ticket.

In both cases one alights from an unstaffed station for which no express trains pass through. Motspur Park maybe a routing point but it doesn't have ticket barriers.

Envy123

Travelling to Motspur Park via Clapham Junction can be done on an express train from Portsmouth to Clapham Junction and then a local metro train to Motspur Park.

Equally it could be a local metro train to Wimbledon via Woking and then a train back to Motspur Park, using the via Clapham Junction ticket.

In both cases one alights from an unstaffed station for which no express trains pass through. Motspur Park maybe a routing point but it doesn't have ticket barriers.

In GTR land, you can go from Alexandra Palace to Stevenage via Welwyn or Finsbury Park. Northbound platforms at Finsbury Park have barriers, so KeyGo will charge your journey as two legs. Whereas, if you go via Welwyn, you get charged once. (I know there’s supposed to be a direct service but it’s not running at the moment and KeyGo doesn’t work on rail replacement buses)

Now, if Clapham Junction has barriers before the southbound platforms for SWR regional trains, their PAYG can detect which route you go through and charge you accordingly. If there are not, then that can be a problem.

island

Veteran Member
All of Clapham Junction’s platforms are accessible once inside the ticket barriers.

Envy123

Then, it’s an issue. Not charging for different routes on a smartcard may mean less flexibility for the passenger or decreased revenue for SWR.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It is possible to excess a ticket held on a smartcard by way of a paper excess ticket. I have done so once or twice. I've not been told if that is correct or not - and I'm not going to ask.

_toommm_

Established Member
It is possible to excess a ticket held on a smartcard by way of a paper excess ticket. I have done so once or twice. I've not been told if that is correct or not - and I'm not going to ask.

I would have thought it would be correct - it doesn't matter what delivery method you chose for your ticket; as long as that particular ticket can be excessed, then it should be able to be excessed whether it's on card, an a4 piece of paper, an e/m-ticket or a smartcard.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Then, it’s an issue. Not charging for different routes on a smartcard may mean less flexibility for the passenger or decreased revenue for SWR.
Or as it is currently, a decrease in revenue for thr DfT.

TEW

Established Member
Is there any TOC that can excess a smartcard held ticket?
There is a process for excessing Smartcard held tickets on SWR, it's very uncommon though so I am not sure if many staff would remember exactly how it's meant to be done. It would be issued as a paper excess, using the last 5 numbers of the Smartcard as the ticket number. Guards aren't checking tickets at the moment on SWR, but if they were they have the means to check the ticket held and sell excess fares.

infobleep

Veteran Member
There is a process for excessing Smartcard held tickets on SWR, it's very uncommon though so I am not sure if many staff would remember exactly how it's meant to be done. It would be issued as a paper excess, using the last 5 numbers of the Smartcard as the ticket number. Guards aren't checking tickets at the moment on SWR, but if they were they have the means to check the ticket held and sell excess fares.
Interesting. This was Clapham Junction Station, rather than on a train, as I knew guards weren't checking tickets.

I could have quite easily not bothered going to the ticket office to get it excessed but I wanted to.

I'm happy to split tickets to save money, so therefore I feel I should pay what is required of me in situations like this.

An alternative future solution would be to excess the ticket and add the excessed ticket to the smart card. I don't know how complicated that would be to program. I mean if they wish to move away from paper tickets......

Status
Not open for further replies.