• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ivanhoe Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

H.trains8

I live near the Ivanhoe line which is part of the East Midlands Trains network. It was reopened in the 1990s but only 3 of about 13 stations were opened. I think more of them should have been opened. Some of them are now private residences but some could be stations again. What do you think?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
Do you mean the stations between Leicester and Burton, or the former stations north of Loughborough (or both)? The former has been discussed at great length, and I can't see much of a case for the latter - very little remains (station buildings being largely irrelevant!), and the platforms were on what would now be the wrong pair of lines anyway.

The Ivanhoe Line was originally envisaged to be Derby-Burton-Leicester-Loughborough. Don't think East Midlands Parkway was in the scheme of things.

Willington nr Derby & the three stations between Loughborough & Leicester are all that has happened & personally I don't ever see any chance of further progress with the plans.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
East Midlands Parkway hadn't been thought of when the Ivanhoe line was proposed.

Of the villages north of Loughborough only Sutton Bonington is close enough to the railway for a walk-up catchment - for the other places it's driving distance so might as well drive to the Parkway. It's also noticeable that they are much smaller than Barrow, Sileby or Syston. The University of Nottingham campus at Sutton Bonington migth generate some worthwhile rail traffic though I believe the university runs its own bus service to link it with their other campuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.