• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I've got a couple of hours to kill with a Toddler in Croydon on Saturday. What's the best Tram route?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

Going to see a friend who has moved to Croydon but it would be a travesty if I didn't let my little girl have a ride on the Trams. I'll be starting in Central Croydon If anybody could suggest a nice or interesting routhe then that would be great.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

steamybrian

Established Member
Hi Guys,

Going to see a friend who has moved to Croydon but it would be a travesty if I didn't let my little girl have a ride on the Trams. I'll be starting in Central Croydon If anybody could suggest a nice or interesting routhe then that would be great.
I always enjoy the route to New Addjngton which has varied scenery- suburbia, tunnel, parkland, woodland, farmland and then unfortuneatly spoilt by that big housing estate called New Addington.
Also enjoy- The route from East Croydon to Wimbledon takes you through the shopping centre of Croydon, then the outlying retail parks before the semi-rural Beddington Lane/Mitcham Junction area, suburbia, semi rural area around Morden Hall Park before suburbia of Merton Park/Wimbledon. Usually includes some fast running of the straight stretches.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Note that westward travel from Croydon Town Centre is suspended until 27 August with trams running eastwards only from East Croydon Station during that period.

London Trams:
From Monday 16 until Friday 27 August, no service between Wandle Park and East Croydon due to planned engineering works. Replacement buses will operate.

London Trams will operate as follows:-
Wimbledon - Wandle Park (please note that services will start at 06:30 on Monday 16 August)
East Croydon - Beckenham Junction
East Croydon - Elmers End (peak hours only)
East Croydon - New Addington

Replacement Bus services will operate as follows:-Waddon Marsh - East Croydon

stuu

Established Member
Hi Guys,

Without a doubt the route out to Addington, tunnels, trees, street running and steep hills. Turn around at Addington Village as there is nothing much of note past there

Veteran Member
Without a doubt the route out to Addington, tunnels, trees, street running and steep hills. Turn around at Addington Village as there is nothing much of note past there
Seconded. Beckenham Junction is also interesting, as you travel right next to the "big railway" - assuming the Birkbeck line has trains.

Ken H

On Moderation
I always enjoy the route to New Addjngton which has varied scenery- suburbia, tunnel, parkland, woodland, farmland and then unfortuneatly spoilt by that big housing estate called New Addington.
Also enjoy- The route from East Croydon to Wimbledon takes you through the shopping centre of Croydon, then the outlying retail parks before the semi-rural Beddington Lane/Mitcham Junction area, suburbia, semi rural area around Morden Hall Park before suburbia of Merton Park/Wimbledon. Usually includes some fast running of the straight stretches.
lots of green parakeets to look at too on Mitcham Common.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Another vote in favour of the ride to Addington. It's fairly lengthy, but certainly more pleasant, in my view, than the ride to Wimbledon.

Beckenham Junction, that line's a bit tedious in my experience so I'd only recommend it for connecting into a Southeastern Metro service. Ditto for Elmers End (it's so uninteresting it took me ages to remember the name of the line!) really, connecting into/out of Southeastern's Hayes branch is about all it's much good for. In terms of enjoying Tramlink that is.

If there's a possible option to do a circular journey, using a bus from Addington up to one of the other branches, that would take in more of the network for variety. I guess it depends what the little 'un would want to do!

Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions. On the train to Croydon as we speak then we will take a trip out to Addington and back!

Status
Not open for further replies.