• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jacobite

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Does the Jacobite still call at Glenfinnan, and does anyone know the price of a single or a return from Fort William to Glenfinnan?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tony_mac

Established Member
From the leaflet on the website....
Once stopped in Glenfinnan station
there will be time to stretch your legs and, if you wish, visit
the West Highland Railway Museum located in the
restored station building. ‘

No prices to Glenfinnan, though.

EltonRoad

Hello - it does stop there on the outbound journey (1102 - 1125) where everyone visits the museum and has a coffee.

On the return it may not stop although it is scheduled to depart at 1521. I say this because I was recently there photo'ing it on the viaduct and it came across some 10 minutes early.

Don't know about fares though. Cheers ER

4SRKT

Established Member
Which suggests that it's the same as to Mallaig.

tony_mac

Established Member
seeing as it's quite likely to be full, and that means they can't sell a ticket to Mallaig then I would guess it is going to be the same price.

I considered it when I was there recently, but it was full.

For less than a quarter of the price I had more space, a choice of seats, more flexible services and a commemorative photo. (and time to take the ferry to Skye).
Ok, the train was a 156 instead, but I spent most of the journey looking out of the window anyway.
I guess I am a Philistine!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When I did it, walkers used it between intermediate stations and they had fares for all points. A tourist wants to get the first train from the sleeper (the Jacobite!) to get maximum time there before heading back in the evening.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
seeing as it's quite likely to be full, and that means they can't sell a ticket to Mallaig then I would guess it is going to be the same price.

For less than a quarter of the price I had more space, a choice of seats, more flexible services and a commemorative photo. (and time to take the ferry to Skye).
Ok, the train was a 156 instead, but I spent most of the journey looking out of the window anyway.
Standing up doesn't bother me on a train where you can stand next to an open window! But waiting 2.5 hours for the next train - ouch!

tony_mac

Established Member
they didn't give standing as an option -they just said it was fully booked and there were no tickets available.

The wait didn't bother me as I had no plans and wanted to spend some time in Ft William anyway. As it happened, I checked into my hotel and had a much-needed nap! I hadn't slept too well, I wonder if the top bunk is any quieter...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
When we did this last August, the photo stop outwards was indeed there ( it also crosses a Mallaig - Fort William 156 anyway ) but on the way back it ran non stop.

4SRKT

Established Member

Given that it's £31 (plus the 'booking fee' swindle), and a return on the 156 is £12, it's not a quarter the price.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It is if he has a railcard as the £12 would become £8, which is close enough to ¼ of £31?

4SRKT

Established Member
True. These youngsters eh?

I'm off on the Jacobite on 10th August, as compensation to myself for having been bowled out on the RPSI's cancelled Steam Enterprise on 1st August. I wanted to go on the 11th, but it's sold out already! I've booked tickets so won't be disappointed. It's incredible how quickly it sells out, presumably to crusty old normals in cardigans and driving gloves talking vague drivel about the 'golden age of steam' blah, blah, yawn.

tony_mac

Established Member
I'm not a youngster, but do have a railcard!
So it's £33.75 compared to £8.

plus £2.95 per person to keep the same seats for the return, what's that all about?

4SRKT

Established Member
I'm not a youngster, but do have a railcard!
So it's £33.75 compared to £8.

plus £2.95 per person to keep the same seats for the return, what's that all about?

Oldsters then!

The £2.95 is about conning people out of every penny they can.

i was kind of lucky last year i turned up off the sleeper and they said it was sold out but they did have some returned not used tickets so i got one of them, its worth goin on the Jacobite for heads out the line does warrant some decent photos and camcorder stuff, its superb scenery all the way i gotta rate it with the best ive done along with the line to Fort William itself scenery is stunning. Want to try the ferry to Aramdale next time then go from Kyle back to Inverness.

4SRKT

Established Member
i was kind of lucky last year i turned up off the sleeper and they said it was sold out but they did have some returned not used tickets so i got one of them, its worth goin on the Jacobite for heads out the line does warrant some decent photos and camcorder stuff, its superb scenery all the way i gotta rate it with the best ive done along with the line to Fort William itself scenery is stunning. Want to try the ferry to Aramdale next time then go from Kyle back to Inverness.

I did this in 1987 with 2 friends on a Freedom of Scotland Railrover, and I can strongly recommend it. Up to Crianlarich on the first day on the 16:50 Queen St > FW. Kipped in the youth hostel there, then the next morning to Oban. Over to Craignure and on the then new Mull & West Highland Railway (a bit odd that one). Back to Crianlarich for another night. Next morning on to FW with the sleeper (which then had 5 passenger carriages, 2 from Euston, 3 added at Queen Street. On to Mallaig and then on the TuThO boat to Kyle (nice move this). Next to Dingwall, and from there up to Helmsdale for the youth hostel. Next morning up to Thurso, back to Helmsdale, up to Wick and back to Culrain for the opulent youth hostel at Carbisdale Castle. Lastly to Inverness the next morning for duffage and DMUs (apart from one isolated class 26 hauling a failed DMU from Perth to Edinburgh :)) for the rest of the week.

A total of 12 class 37 hauled trains over several hundred miles! Did life ever, at any point in history, get as good as this?

Status
Not open for further replies.