• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

James Bond 007 Films Railscenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I was watching "From Russia with Love" (which was made around 1964) the other day and there is quite a portion of the film that appears to be on the Orient Express travelling from Istanbul and through Yugoslavia. Does anyone know where that was filmed? as the long outside shots sometimes appeared to show steam traction with Wagon Lits and other European rolling stock type coaches, but other shots showed the steam loco hauling what looked very much like BR MK1, sothern or BR green livery. I have a feeling in later films such as "the Spy Who Loved Me" made around 10-12 years later and "Octupussy" did use the facilities at the Nene Vally Railway who do or did have some overseas rolling stock.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Both Goldeneye and Octopussy were filmed at the Nene Valley. I am not sure but from Russia with Love was probably filmed on location somewhere with the on train bits filmed in a studio.

Schnellzug

Established Member
According to the Pedia they call Wiki,

"Most of the film was set in Istanbul, Turkey. Locations included the Basilica Cistern, Hagia Sophia, and the Sirkeci Station which also was used for the Belgrade and Zagreb railway stations. The MI6 office in London, SPECTRE Island, the Venice hotel and the interior scenes of the Orient Express were filmed at Pinewood Studios with some footage of the train. In the film, the train journey was set in Eastern Europe. The journey and the truck ride were shot in Argyll, Scotland and Switzerland. The end scenes for the film were shot in Venice.[4] However, to qualify for the British film funding of the time, at least 70% of the film had to have been filmed in Great Britain or the Commonwealth.[20] The gypsy camp was also to be filmed in an actual camp in Topkapi, but was actually shot in a replica of it in Pinewood.[14] The scene with rats (after the theft of the Lektor) was shot in Spain, as Britain did not allow filming with wild rats, and filming white rats painted in cocoa didn't work.[21] Principal photography began on 1 April 1963,[4] and wrapped in August 23.[22]"

steamybrian

Established Member
"A view to kill" features the industrial narrow gauge railway at Amberley Chalk Pits Museum, Sussex

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member

"Most of the film was set in Istanbul, Turkey. Locations included the Basilica Cistern, Hagia Sophia, and the Sirkeci Station which also was used for the Belgrade and Zagreb railway stations. The MI6 office in London, SPECTRE Island, the Venice hotel and the interior scenes of the Orient Express were filmed at Pinewood Studios with some footage of the train. In the film, the train journey was set in Eastern Europe. The journey and the truck ride were shot in Argyll, Scotland and Switzerland. The end scenes for the film were shot in Venice.[4] However, to qualify for the British film funding of the time, at least 70% of the film had to have been filmed in Great Britain or the Commonwealth.[20] The gypsy camp was also to be filmed in an actual camp in Topkapi, but was actually shot in a replica of it in Pinewood.[14] The scene with rats (after the theft of the Lektor) was shot in Spain, as Britain did not allow filming with wild rats, and filming white rats painted in cocoa didn't work.[21] Principal photography began on 1 April 1963,[4] and wrapped in August 23.[22]"

Many thanks for all this information. :D

LE Greys

Established Member

The train passing at night was actually shot in broad daylight with infra-red film, which made the sky look black and the maroon coaches look green. There's a 'dolly' signal that gives it away in one of the shots. The locos both appear to be Stanier designs, I think one is a Royal Scot and the other is a Black 5. I'm almost certain that it was at Leicester Central, one of the few large stations that still had steam-hauled trains passing at high speed. There was no way that BR would let them on the track at night, hence the infra-red to make it look that way. The Sound Barrier uses a similar trick to make 4,000 ft look like 40,000 ft (but that was monochrome i-r film)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Dont forget Goldeneye which used D8188! I dont know where this was filmed though :/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_20#In_popular_culture

Nene Valley, as was Octopussy. The 20 (which was overdubbed with an American loco) rammed the tank almost directly under the A1.

Jedipickles

I've just watched Goldeneye, there are a few clips only a half second or so, where it's clearly the 20 as the iconic 'chopper' noise can be heard

Status
Not open for further replies.