• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

James's Jaunts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

james60059

Hi Folks,

Reading some of these threads got me thinking about doing a section for trips too, a case of "If you can't beat them, then join them" so to speak.

Anyway my first trip log is of my journey to Ireland, using the fantastic value Rail and Sail fares, with the outward journey on 23rd September 2017.

Starting off at Hinckley Station, in Leicestershire where Leg 1 would commence for the relatively short hop to Birmingham New Street, the time was 06:08 and CrossCountry Train's 170636 arrived on time working the 05:49 Leicester - Birmingham New Street service, there wasn't much to see as it was still dark all the way into Birmingham.

Arriving into Birmingham New Street, I has 45 minutes to kill before my next leg; the 07:30 to Cardiff Central, so I made my way to the concourse and was most impressed with the transformation of the station - it's been a good few years since I was last there.

Anyway, time flies when you have fun, and soon enough I made my way to Platform 12B for the 07:30 CrossCountry service to Cardiff Central with 170110 providing the horses, boarding the train, I settled down for the journey, the train arrived a few minutes ahead of schedule at 07:23, sure enough we were away, with quite a substantial crowd on, but still a few seats available. Threading our way through the tunnels towards Five Ways and our first stop, University, daylight was beginning to make a good appearance as we headed along the CrossCity line out of Birmingham, parting company with the CrossCity line at Barnt Green and towards the Lickey Incline, ascending the Lickey Incline, the electrification was well under way with the overhead masts encroaching the incline, at the foot of the incline, we passed the newly remodelled station at Bromsgrove, further along at Stoke Works Junction, we met a London Midland Class 170 coming from the Droitwich line. Making good progress through Worcestershire, Ashchurch for Tewkesbury flashed by, then we slowed down for our next call; Cheltenham Spa, where a few people got off, and a few got on. At this point, I was looking at the progress of my train that I would take in Leg 3, using the fantastic diagrams on Railcam. On this particular day, all Great Western Railway services from London Paddington to Swansea were being diverted via the Golden Valley line from Swindon to Gloucester, before continuing down to Newport via Chepstow, so far it was running to time at Swindon........ Leaving Cheltenham Spa, it was a short trip to Gloucester, arriving at Gloucester and another look at Railcam, I seen that the service to Swansea was STILL in Swindon; 10 minutes late and counting, my bum was beginning to twitch as there was only a 15 minute window at Swansea for my connection anyway, several minutes after leaving Gloucester, I checked again and seen my train for Leg 3 had left Swindon - 18 minutes late. Back to the current journey, we were running alongside the River Severn Estuary, looking across the River Severn, you could seen the bridge abutment for the old Severn Bridge which once spanned the River, Lydney Station passed by then it was over the border, into Wales and our next stop; Chepstow. Away from Chepstow, I looked again at Railcam and seen my next train had actually made good progress and was only 15 late now, better than nothing lol. Leaving Chepstow, the 2 bridges of the M48 and M4 loomed into view, you can really appreciate what the navvies did when they were building the Severn Railway Tunnel as the grand structure of the M4 bridge follows a somewhat similar alignment. We met the GWR just before Severn Tunnel Junction, and seen a number of NR contractors and various items of plant machinery doing work on the tracks down to the Severn Tunnel, this would explain the diversions via Gloucester I thought, we passed under the M4 just beyond STJ and along the 4-track section of the South Wales Mainline, passing Bishton Flyover, and the Llanwern steelworks. Further along we slowed down for our next stop of Newport, passing East Usk Yard and then Maindee East and West Junctions - a triangle of lines with the Welsh Marches lines to Hereford and Shrewsbury, over the River Usk and arriving into Newport. Another look at Railcam seen another train coming, the Manchester Piccadilly - Milford Haven service, running to time it was due to arrive at Swansea at 10:55, could this be an alternative service to Swansea for the connection to Fishguard Harbour??, away from Newport we went and through the Hillfield Main Tunnel - the only tunnel on the South Wales Mainline, emerging into the daylight, we pass Gaer Junction which sees the branch to Ebbw Vale diverge, as well as the Newport Alexandra Junction Yard on the left hand side. Speeding past the Wentloog railfreight terminal, we enter the Cardiff suburbs, and we slow down again before stopping briefly, just in time to see 60001 come trundling by on the 6B13 Robeston - Westerleigh loaded Murco tanks. After a minute or so, we were off again, passing under the Cardiff Valley Lines from Cardiff Queen Street and then into Cardiff Central. Leaving the train at Cardiff Central, I checked Railcam again as well as the passenger information display and seen my next train - which I had been checking the progress of since we left Gloucester - was now just 10 minutes late.

Just before 10am, my next train arrived into the platform, with HST power car 43183 leading, also at that point the Milford Haven service also arrived, deciding what train would actually go first the decision was made when the signal cleared for our HST. Boarding the train, the first coach behind the power car was a MKIII TGS vehicle, as with the train from Birmingham, was quite busy but nevertheless was still comfortable.

Leaving Cardiff behind, it wasn't long before we were up to speed, passing through Pontyclun, Llanharan and Pencoed, before slowing down for Bridgend, departing Bridgend, the branch line to Maesteg diverges, and the small station at Pyle whizzes by before we approach Port Talbot, with the steelworks complex dominating the skyline, I'm not 100% sure but was there a level crossing at Port Talbot not that long ago?. Away from Port Talbot, it's amazing to see how they threaded the A48, the M4 as well as the railway between the houses as well as the hills, another small station - Baglan - passed the window before the railway and motorway part company, as the railway turns inland to Neath and the M4 crosses the River Neath, speeding through Briton Ferry, I couldn't help but notice a couple of local youths sitting on the opposite platform with their legs over the edge of the platform, I won't repeat what I thought as I may get the boot ;). Arriving into our penultimate station of Neath, leaving Neath, we passed over the River Neath, The Tennant Canal, the A465, and the Vale of Neath line, with the old platform of the former Neath General Station still extant.
Another 2 small stations whizzed by, Skewen, just before we pass under the M4, we pass by the UPS site which was formerly Lynx Express - I worked for both of these companies when they both had parcel hubs in Nuneaton - anyway that's enough reminiscing :lol:, the last small station, Llansamlet was quick passing and soon we were on the viaduct crossing the River Tawe, and passing alongside the Liberty Stadium - home of Swansea City F.C., With Landore Depot passing us on the right, I couldn't help but notice the Swansea Maliphant Sidings have been transformed into a new depot for the Hitachi IEP's - to be fair, it's been about 13 - 14 years since I was last in Swansea as the Fishguard services use to bypass Swansea via the Swansea District Line and one occasion via the line behind Landore Depot. Arriving into Swansea, we were just 10 minutes late, a good run had ensued from Cardiff to Swansea. Getting off of the train, I made my way to Platform 1, where Arriva Trains Wales Class 150208 was there, surprisingly, there was not many people onboard the service, and hardly anyone boarded after getting off of the HST, as 11am approached, the guard announced we would be about 5 minutes late departing as we were waiting for the Milford Haven train to arrive - the train which arrived at Cardiff just after our HST did an hour before - arriving just after 11am, a small handful of passengers boarded, at 11:05 am we departed Swansea, probably with just 20 passengers onboard - one thing I have noticed over the years is that the number of passengers have dwindled on the boat trains - well April 2010 was the exception when the Icelandic volcano ash cloud caused air disruption throughout Europe and many would-be air passengers opted for the train/ferry combo.
Climbing out of Swansea, the tiny DMU quickly built up speed, passing through Cockett Tunnel, and soon through Gowerton at a rate of knots - Gowerton has seen a transformation since I last went through - the old platform has been reinstated, along with the redoubling of the line between Cockett & Duffryn Junctions which occurred in 2013, along with the replacement viaduct over the River Loughor as well as a new footbridge at Gowerton Station. Over the River Loughor, and passing Llandeilo Junction, as well as the Trostre Steelworks, we arrived at Llanelli. Departing from Llanelli it was a spirited run alongside the Gower Estuary to Pembrey & Burry Port, before parting company with the coast, just after Kidwelly - and the associated branch to Coed Bach - we were alongside the River Towy, passing through Ferryside before slowing down, for the triangle of lines with the Carmarthen branch, we didn't call at Carmarthen but instead using the avoiding line between Carmarthen Junction and Carmarthen Bridge Junction, before crossing the River Towy, and heading for Whitland, from Carmarthen the railway more or less parallels the route of the A40 all the way to Fishguard. Another spirited run from Carmarthen to Whitland seen us pass St. Clears in a flash, from Whitland, the branch to Pembroke Dock diverges, and we continue on. Roughly 2 miles from Whitland, the branch to Cardigan diverged, the old line marked by a line of trees, passenger services ceased in 1962, and total closure followed in 1965. The staggered platforms of Clunderwen pass by, before we finally slow down, not for a station stop however. Clarbeston Road is the junction for the Milford Haven line, and also where the double track mainline gives way to a single track branch line for the final 15 miles or so to Fishguard Harbour, therefore the driver stops the train adjacent to the signal box, just beyond Clarbeston Road Station for the single line electric key token for the Fishguard Harbour branch. Departing from Clarby Road, the Milford branch parts company almost immediately, and we continue onwards, before long the jointed track becomes apparent as the wheels start trickety trock trickety trock over the joints, entering a deep cutting we pass into Spittal Tunnel, the former double track formation is clearly evident here, although nowadays, the single track is adequate for the service pattern. Literally just before we pass under the A40, one of the platforms of the former Wolf's Castle Halt is still extant although long out of use, closure happening in 1964, a closure recommendation by the infamous Dr Beeching. In the middle of nowhere, we pass what was the remains of Letterston Junction, and associated loop line, which marks the start of the line to RNAD Trecwn, which has been out of use for many years.
The relatively new Fishguard & Goodwick was our next station, closed in 1964, it was reopened in 2012, a number of people also disembarked, it was pleasing to see the car park full too, there was some people waiting for the train back East, but would have to wait for this train to reverse at Fishguard Harbour for the return trip. Leaving Fishguard & Goodwick, Fishguard Bay came into view, and in the distance our last station; Fishguard Harbour with Stena Line's MS Stena Europe berthed alongside. There was a number of vehicles waiting to board the ferry, especially lorries. Arriving into Fishguard Harbour, there was a small number of passengers waiting for the train back. With the new schedules that Stena Line introduced in May 2017, it was literally a case of just jump off of the train, and head straight to check in.

With check-in complete, it was a walk up the gangway to board the MS Stena Europe which is also Stena Line's oldest vessel, being built in 1981.

An ontime departure from Fishguard Harbour at 13:10, I made my way to the Metropolitan Grill which was formerly Food City, and tucked in to a very tasty Met Burger for my dinner, before getting my head down for a few hours....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

james60059

A nice trip to Fishyguard, somewhere I want to revisit later this year :)

It is indeed a nice trip, and to be honest, of all the times I've used the route over the last 30 Years, only had one bad trip, well it wasn't bad as such as I was in the company of some pretty decent passengers and as such we made the best of a bad situation and in the end, I still got to where I was going, albeit a day later lol 8-)

james60059

Journey from Ireland back home. 30/10/17.
Following on from my trip to Ireland, I now include the trip back.

Starting from Rosslare Harbour, at 7am when I arrived at the ferry port, I made my way to the Stena Line check-in desk for the 08:00 sailing to Fishguard Harbour, and with some time before boarding commenced, I sat down at the little cafe with a nice cup of coffee with my Dad (who had given me a lift from Waterford). Soon, it was time to say the goodbyes as the announcement came over the tannoy that boarding had commenced for the Stena Line sailing to Fishguard, heading up the 1st floor via the escalator (it was nearer than using the ramp :smile: ), it was easy to to notice that there was not many foot passengers, when in years gone by I could remember the seating area upstairs being full with foot passengers - a sign of the times I guess, but that said it was easy to see the ferry is well used by road vehicles.

On board the vessel, I had a little walk around get a bit of fresh air and to call she-who-must-be-obeyed back home in Hinckley to let her know I was on my way back :lol:.

An on time departure of 08:00 arrived and I settled down for the voyage, but not before treating myself to a full cooked breakfast in the Metropolitan Grill.

3 hours and 15 minutes later, in misty and wet conditions, the vessel was docking in Fishguard Harbour, at this point there was an hour and a half to kill before the train arrived for the next leg of the journey to Cardiff, at one point, the wait was less, but Stena Line altered the sailing times in May 2017 so that the morning departure from Rosslare was 08:00 instead of 09:00, although my personal opinion is that it is better, especially if you're travelling to Rosslare, leaving at 13:10 instead of 14:30 and arriving into the Rosslare at 16:25 instead of 18:00. Once the ship was docked, and secured and the gangway was lifted into place, I took a slow walk down the ramp to the terminal building where ID checks were being carried out, as I had my driving licence with me, it was a bag search and I was through pretty quick. I decided to have a look at Realtime Trains and seen that the inbound train was running to time, and before long, the horn sounded to mark it's imminent arrival at the harbour, the use of the horn being for the unmanned level crossing at the end of the station.

Leg 2 of the journey started on time, with Arriva Trains Wales Class 150, 150280 being the unit to take me to Cardiff, I was sitting with my back to the direction of travel as once we reached Carmarthen, I would then be facing the right way, I could have course sat facing forward leaving Fishguard and changed seats but that was just too much effort ;).
Our first stop was a couple of minutes up the line at Fishguard & Goodwick, where 10 passengers boarded, and apart from the scheduled stop at Clarbeston Road Signal Box for the driver to exchange the single track electric key token, it was a spirited run to our next stop of Whitland, before continung to Carmarthen where we reversed, a fair few people also boarded at Carmarthen and an announcement was made that we would not call at Swansea, Neath or Bridgend, seems odd we wouldn't but I'm sure there's a reason behind the lack of stops at those places. Away from Carmarthen, we passed through Ferryside, before calling at Kidwelly and Pembrey & Burry Port, all 3 stations being request stops, next station was Llanelli before a nice run to the outskirts of Swansea, passing over the River Loughor and Gowerton - which seen a lot of infrastructure improvements a few years ago when the line through Gowerton was redoubled and the viaduct over the River Loughor was replaced. Bypassing Swansea Station by means of the chord which runs behind Landore Depot, we join the South Wales Mainline at Landore Junction. With Llansamlet and Skewen passing by in a flash, we pass through Neath at a more sedate pace. Two more small stations of Briton Ferry and Baglan are passed by before our next station call at Port Talbot Parkway, with the industrial complex dominating the skyline, we had made good time and had a good few minutes wait at Port Talbot Parkway.
Away we were again, and before long we passed Margam Yard, got a couple of numbers as we went by. Another small station, this time Pyle, went by before we slowed down and stopped again just outside of Bridgend, I think we mave had a Maesteg service cross in front of us. Passing through Bridgend and then Pencoed, Llanharan and Pontyclun we eventually arrived at Cardiff Central, 2½ hours after leaving Fishguard.

There was a bit more of a shorter wait at Cardiff for my next leg, the 15:45 departure to Nottingham, which I would travel on as far as Birmingham New Street. Making my way to Platform 0, there was already a good crowd waiting for the train. 170102 soon rolled up, having came from a point just West of the station after stabling. Away from Cardiff on time, Newport was quick arriving, before passing East Usk Yard and Llanwern and Severn Tunnel Junction, where we split company with the Great Western Mainline and head towards Chepstow. Crossing the border back into England, it was a spirited run alongside the Severn Estuary, passing through the small town of Lydney before slowing down for Gloucester, arriving a couple of minutes early. Departing Gloucester on time, it was a short trip to Cheltenham Spa. By time we reached Cheltenham, the crowd had thinned out on the train. Ashchurch for Tewkesbury flashed by the window, you wouldn't believe this 2 platform station was once a junction. Some lovely scenic countryside passed by the window before reaching the newly remodelled and resited station at Bromsgrove, and then the famous Lickey Incline, the 3-car DMU climbing with with ease. Passing through Barnt Green, we meet the CrossCity line from Redditch, and all the way into Birmingham New Street. Final stop at University, I got my things together and stood by the door ready to get off. Arriving into Birmingham New Street, there was a lot of passengers waiting to board. A mad dash ensued to Platform 9 for my next - and final leg - the 17:52 to Leicester.

170636 was my final train, and it was absolutely wedged o_O, I found myself in next to one of the sets of doors, a bit of breathing space was acquired when a couple of passengers got off at Coleshill Parkway. Once Nuneaton was reached, and a few more people got off, as well as on, I was well and truly on home turf, with a fast run to Hinckley, after passing over the busy A5, and 10½ hours after leaving Rosslare Harbour I was home :D.

It can indeed be argued that flying is indeed quicker, but to be honest I'll keep doing this way for as long as I'm able too.

Cheers

James

james60059

Not a Bad Couple of Hours: 22/01/18.
Didn't venture far today, but having analysed RealTimeTrains, and checking the gen groups, I seen that was a couple of off-piste movements booked through as well as some of the freight services which are booked.

Seen in order were:

• 10:20 66745, 66767 and 66769 0M22 Peterborough - Hams Hall.
  • 10:22 66428 6U76 Crewe Basford Hall - Mountsorrel.
  • 10:43 73969 0Z30 Loughborough Brush - Washwood Heath.
  • 10:55 66304 6C89 Mountsorrel - Carlisle Yard.
  • 11:18 70010 4L93 Lawley Street - Felixstowe.
  • 11:55 159003 5O96 Loughborough Brush - Salisbury T&RSMD.
  • 12:15 170205 5Z70 Norwich Crown Point - Crewe C.S.
  • 12:22 66021 6V92 Corby - Margam.

UNITS.
170103, 170107, 170113, 170117, 170636, 170638.

A nice varied couple of hours at the local I think :smile:

james60059

NUNEATON 16/04/18.

Been a while since I've been out and about, spent my 36th Birthday at my local mainline station from 13:30 until 19:30, considering it was Monday which generally is quiet it turned out quite good:

Seen during my session was:

• 13:27 70010 4M81 Felixstowe - Crewe Basford Hall.
  • 13:30 66598 4L46 Lawley Street - London Gateway.
  • 13:37 90028 + 90037 4M25 Mossend - Daventry.
  • 13:39 66723 6M26 Eastleigh - Mountsorrel.
  • 13:44 66564 4M94 Felixstowe - Lawley Street.
  • 13:57 66093 6G33 Mountsorrel - Small Heath.
  • 14:16 70806 + 70811 6M50 Westbury - Stud Farm.
  • 14:39 90041 4L90 Trafford Park - Felixstowe.
  • 14:41 66557 4M63 Felixstowe - Ditton.
  • 15:06 66707 4L22 Hams Hall - Felixstowe.
  • 15:10 66764 6M20 Coton Hill - Wellingborough.
  • 15:28 37800 0H70 Leicester L.I.P. - Wolverton.
  • 15:41 66107 6V11 Dowlow - Theale.
  • 15:42 66503 4M58 Southampton - Garston.
  • 15:49 66085 4L56 Trafford Park - London Gateway.
  • 15:49 66727 4M23 Felixstowe - Hams Hall.
  • 16:02 66529 4L57 Birch Coppice - Felixstowe.
  • 16:12 70020 4M61 Southampton - Trafford Park.
  • 16:26 66722 4M29 Felixstowe - Birch Coppice.
  • 16:37 66525 4O17 Lawley Street - Southampton.
  • 16:41 70008 4M88 Felixstowe - Ditton.
  • 16:42 66512 4L92 Ditton - Felixstowe.
  • 16:44 66777 6M40 Westbury - Stud Farm.
  • 16:46 66703 4L18 Trafford Park - Felixstowe.
  • 16:56 66548 0M05 Crewe Basford Hall - Willesden Euro Terminal.
  • 17:10 86622 + 86605 4M87 Felixstowe - Trafford Park.
  • 17:28 66773 0M68 Peterborough - Bescot.
  • 17:40 66762 4Z44 Longtown MOD - Wembley.
  • 18:23 70011 4O29 Trafford Park - Southampton.
  • 18:24 66956 4M67 Southampton - Hams Hall.
  • 18:40 345032 5Z01 Crewe Carriage Sidings - Rugby.
  • 18:52 66763 + 66735 6L48 Garston - Dagenham.
  • 19:07 90049 + 90016 4S45 Daventry - Coatbridge.
  • 19:15 66957 4M56 London Gateway - Garston.
  • 19:17 345032 5Z02 Rugby - Crewe Carriage Sidings.

It was a nice treat to see my first Class 345 too 8-)

Cheers

James

james60059

D.I.R.F.T Sightings - 19/04/18.
With the glorious sunshine and subsequent pleasant conditions we had that we had on the Thursday, I had a trip down the A5 to Daventry International Railfreight Terminal. My main reason for coming here was that a 1Z55 11:43 London Euston - Burnley Manchester Road Foot-ex booked. The location is actually 2 bridges a short distance apart, one crosses the "Northampton Loop" of the West Coast Mainline, and the other crosses the mainline which runs via Weedon and is used predominantly by Virgin Train services as well as a number of LNWR services, mainly the Trent Valley stoppers.

The location is also referred to as Barby Nortoft.

Sightings for the few hours I was there were:

• 12:15 90045 + 90042 4S44 Daventry - Coatbridge.
  • 12:41 90016 + 90049 4M27 Coatbridge - Daventry.
  • 12:47 66552 4M94 Felixstowe - Lawley Street.
  • 13:46 66957 4L46 Lawley Street - London Gateway.
  • 14:12 90028 + 90037 4M25 Mossend - Daventry.
  • 14:27 66508 4M63 Felixstowe - Ditton.
  • 14:29 67005 + 67002 1Z55 London Euston - Manchester Burnley Road**.
  • 15:24 66517 4M58 Southampton - Garston.
  • 15:29 66727 4M23 Felixstowe - Hams Hall.
  • 15:43 66567 4L90 Crewe Basford Hall - Felixstowe.
  • 15:59 70008 4M88 Felixstowe - Trafford Park.
  • 16:19 66093 6B30 Mountsorrel - Northampton.
  • 16:45 66085 4L56 Trafford Park - London Gateway.
  • 16:59 70011 4M87 Felixstowe - Trafford Park.
  • 17:05 66558 4L92 Ditton - Felixstowe.

** = Ended up being routed via Weedon.

Cheers

James

james60059

3-in-7 Heart of England Rover. Day #1.
For the first time in about a decade (yes it's really been that long), I treated myself to a 3-in-7 Heart of England Rover ticket, costing £86.20, which I think for the area covered and the amount of trains available is certainly value for money. I had been toying with getting a rover for quite a while, and what spurned it on was the Video 125 Drivers Eye View The Cotswold & Malvern Line which features a GWR HST (then First) running from Oxford to Hereford over the aforementioned route - a route which if course is the most Southern boundary you can run along on the Rover.

Starting off from Nuneaton, because the car parking is better than Hinckley, plus there's more rail services serving Nuneaton, the Rover commenced on the 09:10 departure to Birmingham New Street, which although was a busy train, there was still seats available, running through the outskirts of Nuneaton and into Arley Tunnel, we then pass through rural Warwickshire and the site of the former Daw Mill Colliery, before we reached Whitacre Junction and our first station call of Coleshill Parkway. Departing Coleshill Parkway, and passing under the M42 motorway, the delapidated Water Orton Station passes by the window before we enter the Birmingham conurbation, running alongside the elevated M6 motorway and the sad sight of what remains of Washwood Heath Yard, as well as the Cemex terminal and Lawley Street Freightliner Terminal, ducking under the WCML from Coventry and London, we arrive at Birmingham New Street. With a bit of time to kill, a visited different platforms to see if there was any units that I required, which sure enough I got a couple.

My next leg would take me from Birmingham New Street to the Southern most point valid on a Heart of England Rover at Oxford, and my chariot for this leg was CrossCountry Trains 221134, working 1O10, the 08:27 departure from Manchester Piccadilly to Bournemouth, talk about being packed in like cattle, I ended up in a vestibule by the bike storage, although I had a view out of the window, I was happy :D . Passing over the route I had arrived in on about half han hour previously, we ran along the WCML, stopping at Birmingham International (although Birmingham Airport have dropped the International suffix now) and Coventry, before saying goodbye to the WCML and taking the route to Leamington Spa, despite being single track for most of it's length, we were doing a good rate of knots as we passed through one of the newest stations - if not the newest - in the UK, at Kenilworth, there seemed to be a good number of people waiting on the platform for the local train to Leamington which was timetabled behind us, I had seen the single car Class 153 running into Coventry's Platform 4 just as we left minutes earlier. The car park at Kenilworth looked healthy with a number of vehicles parked which suggests that either the station is being used well or the locals are parking to attend to other business in the town :lol:.

Arriving at Leamington Spa, a number of people were alighting, but the same amount, if not more, were waiting to board, I stayed where I was anyway, further stops at Banbury and finally Oxford, just over an hour and 10 minutes after leaving Birmingham, I must admit I wasn't sorry to be getting off of 221134, as there was a bit of late running, about 5 minutes, I made my way to Platform 4 for my next leg.

Leg 3, would be my longest trip of the day, of 2 hours and 20 minutes along the scenic Cotswold & Malverns Line on one of the most iconic trains on the network; The Intercity 125 HST, Great Western Railways 43015 was leading 1W01 10:22 London Paddington - Hereford, 43018 on the rear, the train itself was also a couple of minutes late but that was no problem as there seemed to be a bit of recovery time scheduled in the timetable between Oxford and Hereford. Away from Oxford 4 minutes behind, the atmosphere onboard the MKIII coaches was in complete contrast to my previous journey on 221134. The coaches were very bright and airy, as well as being comfortably cool, plus there was plenty of seats to choose from, I ended up in the TGS, which was also the Quiet Coach and I sat back to enjoy the trip, we stopped at just about every station en-route with the exception of Combe, Finstock, Ascott-under-Wychwood and Shipton, all of the other stations had announcements made of where to alight as the platforms were too short to accommodate an 8-coach HST, a situation which may well change in the future with newer 5-coach IET's being introduced on the GWR network.

After passing through the 2 stations of Worcester; Shrub Hill and Foregate Street, as well as the dual Malvern Stations; Link and Great, we arrive at Hereford just before 13:50.

Leg 4 would take just under an hour, from Hereford to Shrewsbury, and running to time, Arriva Trains Wales 175109, working 1W60 11:03 Carmarthen - Manchester Piccadilly was the unit, just like 221134, it was packed but I managed to get a seat in the middle coach of the 3-coach unit. Arriving into Shrewsbury, the junction where the former Severn Valley branched off is still clearly visible, and Shrewsbury's iconic signal box at Severn Bridge Junction.

Leg 5, things began to change slightly, as my original plan was to go to Chester, Crewe, Derby, Nottingham, Leicester and then back to Nuneaton, however as we were late leaving on Leg 4, 175007 working 1W94 13:19 Cardiff Central - Holyhead, despite arriving into Shrewsbury on time at 15:24, we left 15 late at 15:44, no reason was given although I'm hazarding a guess it may have been a crew change issue, we got even later as we were signal checked for about 8 minutes near Gobowen. we finally arrived at Chester 20 minutes down at 16:43, having clawed back a couple of minutes, my intended service has already departed Chester, 1A53 16:35 Chester to London Euston which I would have travelled on as far as Crewe.

Leg 6 was therefore 150258, working 1K14 16:55 Chester - Crewe, a moderately loaded service but still a fair few seats to choose from, we left Chester's Platform 1 on time for the relatively quick spin to Crewe, I've always liked my Class 150's as they're quite nippy units. Passing by the Crewe IEMD, it is a sad sight seeing a number of Class 90's parked up rotting away, more than likely never to turn a wheel again sadly, such is the changing scene of Britain's railfreight scene and rail scene as a whole what with newer trains being introduced by the various TOC's etc.

My plans were further scuppered at Crewe, as my new intention was to do the later 18:07 East Midlands Trains service to Derby, but an issue between Longton and Stoke-on-Trent meant that the inbound service to Crewe was delayed, it later transpired that trespassers on the railway line was the cause of this service delay :rolleyes:, with time getting on and options running out, I looked at the feasibility of going to Tamworth on the 18:02 departure to London Euston, then doing a trip to Derby on a CrossCountry service and try to get back to plan, but with it looking like I wouldn't be home until nearly 11pm, I decided to take the 18:02 departure as far as Nuneaton.

Leg 7, and the final leg was London North Western Railway's 350114, working 1U42 18:02 Crewe to London Euston via Stoke-on-Trent, leaving on time, again it was a busy service but there was seats, we actually passed the delayed EMT service just after we departed Kidsgrove. A later look at Realtime Trains seen that the 18:07 to Derby left 37L at 18:44, maybe I could have clawed something back but I didn't fancy missing connections especially with time getting on :lol:.

At 19:35, 10½ hours after leaving, I arrived back. I hung about for about half an hour as there was a couple of freight services due, so having got them; 66557 working 4L73 Lawley Street - Felixstowe, 90040 + 90018 working 4S47 Daventry - Mossend, 86638 + 86608 working 4M87 Felixstowe - Trafford Park (running nearly 3 hours late) and finally, 90028 working 6X77 Dagenham - Mossend, it was home time.

Day 2 will in a couple of days, as she-who-must-be-obeyed has alloxed me "Other Duties" :lol::lol:

Cheers

James

james60059

HULL Report. 3-in-7 Heart of England Rover Day #1.
HULL being an acronym for Haulage, Unit and Loco Log :lol::lol:.

HAULAGE LOG:
My main objective was to travel over The Cotswold & Malverns Line after watching the Video 125 drivers eye view.

09:10 170107 Nuneaton - Birmingham New Street.
10:04 221134 Birmingham New Street - Oxford.
11:30 43015 + 43018 Oxford - Hereford.
13:55 175109 Hereford - Shrewsbury.
15:44 175007 Shrewsbury - Chester.
16:55 150258 Chester - Crewe.
18:02 350114 Crewe - Nuneaton.

LOCOMOTIVE LOG.

NUNEATON.
06:58 66434 6M36 Carlisle Yard - Mountsorrel.
07:04 66538 4L37 Lawley Street - Felixstowe.
07:20 70015 4M95 Southampton - Trafford Park.
07:25 66756 6X41 Dagenham - Garston.
08:04 66540 4O18 Lawley Street - Southampton.
08:28 66517 4L89 Crewe Basford Hall - Felixstowe.

WASHWOOD HEATH CEMEX.

09:29 66781.

LAWLEY STREET FREIGHTLINER TERMINAL.

09:30 66418, 66507, 66539, 66566.

AYNHO JUNCTION

11:04 68xxx 1R21 London Marylebone - Birmingham Moor Street.

HEYFORD.

11:05 66701 6M26 Eastleigh - Mountsorrel.

TACKLEY.

11:09 66557 4M55 Southampton - Lawley Street.

OXFORD (WOLVERCOTE JUNCTION).

11:36 66957 4O90 Leeds - Southampton

COLEHAM (SHREWSBURY)

14:50 37116.

SHREWSBURY

15:35 66750 6M35 Pengam Sidings - Clitheroe.

CREWE IEMD*

17:10 90022, 90023

There was more 90's as well as a Class 60 but these were obscured by the bushes.

CREWE H.C.

17:15 03073, 47712, 87035.

CREWE.

17:20 57307 (Thunderbird)

TAMWORTH.

19:19 90045 + 90043 4S45 Daventry - Coatbridge.

ATHERSTONE.

19:28 66568 4M56 London Gateway - Garston.

NUNEATON.

19:37 66557 4L73 Lawley Street - Felixstowe.
19:42 90040 + 90018 4S47 Daventry - Mossend.
19:43 66593 4L96 Trafford Park - Felixstowe.
19:52 86639 + 86608 4M87 Felixstowe - Trafford Park.
19:56 90028 6X77 Dagenham - Mossend.

UNITS (NUMERICAL ORDER).

I've compiled a list of the units I seen, with the workings at the time of sight.

150107 1M66 Hereford - Birmingham New Street.
150210 2H33 Chester - Manchester Piccadilly.
150258 1K14 Chester - Crewe.
150284 2V12 Crewe - Cardiff Central (via HoWL).
153364 2K74 Birmingham New Street - Rugeley Trent Valley (with 170514)
153371 2Gxx Nuneaton - Coventry shuttles.
158827 1G45 Aberystwyth/Pwllheli - Birmingham International (with 158841).
158830 1G50 Holyhead - Birmingham International.
158841 1G45 Aberystwyth/Pwllheli - Birmingham International (with 158827).
165128 2L28 Didcot Parkway - Oxford.
168321 1Y33 Oxford - London Marylebone (with 168327).
168327 1Y33 Oxford - London Marylebone (with 168321).
170101 1P02 Leicester - Birmingham New Street.
170104 1N40 Stansted Airport - Birmingham New Street.
170109 1L00 Ashchurch - Stansted Airport (Cancelled between GCR and ASC)
170110 1K03 Birmingham New Street - Leicester.
170114 1P04 Leicester - Birmingham New Street (with 170522).
170398 1N41 Stansted Airport - Birmingham New Street.
170503 1J18 Birmingham New Street - Shrewsbury (with 170505).
170505 1J18 Birmingham New Street - Shrewsbury (with 170503).
170514 2K74 Birmingham New Street - Rugeley Trent Valley (with 153364)
170522 1P04 Leicester - Birmingham New Street (with 170114).
172215 2V22 Whitlocks End - Worcester Shrub Hill.
175007 1W94 Cardiff Central - Holyhead.
175009 1V97 Holyhead - Cardiff Central.
175102 1V96 Holyhead - Tondu (Cancelled between TDU and MST)
175109 1W60 Carmarthen - Manchester Piccadilly.
175111 1V46 Crewe - Milford Haven.
175114 1D30 Manchester Airport - Llandudno.
221104 5D32 Birmingham New Street - Barton Under Needwoood.
221109 9M48 Glasgow Central - London Euston.
221118 1R13 HHD/Blackpool North - London Euston (with 221142).
221134 1O10 Manchester Piccadilly - Bournemouth.
221136 1M93 Paignton - Manchester Piccadilly.
221142 1R13 HHD/Blackpool North - London Euston (with 221118).
319386 2H50 Crewe - Manchester Piccadilly.
323325 2A91 Manchester Piccadilly - Crewe.
323230 2K31 Manchester Piccadilly - Crewe.
350114 1U25 London Euston - Crewe.
350125 1U20 Crewe - London Euston (with 350126).
350126 1U20 Crewe - London Euston (with 350125).
350257 2U21 Northampton - Crewe.
350374 2U23 London Euston - Crewe.
390104 1R08 Manchester Piccadilly - London Euston.
390114 1F10 London Euston - Liverpool South Parkway.
390119 1H38 London Euston - Manchester Piccadilly.
390122 1F23 London Euston - Liverpool South Parkway.
390141 1R25 Manchester Piccadilly - London Euston.
390148 9G11 London Euston - Birmingham New Street).

Cheers

James

james60059

3-in-7 Heart of England Rover. Day #2 (21/06/18).
Day 2 of my Heart of England Rover commenced on Thursday 21st June.

As usual, the day started at Nuneaton and my main aim for the day was to have trip down the Stratford Upon Avon line and to have a 2nd attempt at having a ride on the North Staffs line from Crewe to Derby.

Leg 1, was a short affair, London North Western Railway's 350115, which was working 1U22 07:55 Crewe to London Euston from Nuneaton to Rugby, quite a busy service so I opted to stand by one of the doors.

Arriving into Rugby, I didn't have much time for my next train, so it was literally a quick walk under the subway onto the island platform and a wonder down to the South Bay to see what was there, DRS' 57308 was parked up waiting it's next turn. The North Bay at Rugby has long been filled in.

Leg 2, another short leg, seen London North Western Railway's 350373, which sports the actual livery and I believe is the only Class 350 in LNWR livery, was the traction, working 2Y07 07:54 London Euston - Birmingham New Street, which was a nice on time departure of 09:38 for the quick trip to Coventry, although there was seats available, I stood by the doors again, after all there's really no point occupying a seat for a 10 minute or so journey.

Arriving into Coventry, I had a bit of a wait as my next service I was intending to get was the local service to Leamington Spa via Kenilworth, however as the previous train had left just over 10 minutes before hand, and therefore it was a case of having to wait for the unit to go to Leamington and back, of course this was the ideal time to grab a bite to eat and drink at the Pumpkin shop on Platform 2/3, a nice hot chocolate and a breakfast panini was just what the doctor ordered :p.

Sure enough, the single-coach Class 153 arrived into Coventry's Platform 4, but after the passengers disembarked, the unit had to perform a shunt manoeuvre to the sidings going towards Gibbet Hill, the purpose is to vacate Platform 4 to allow CrossCountry trains Bournemouth - Manchester Piccadilly services to call. After the departure of the service, which today was 221127, working 1M30 07:30 Bournemouth - Manchester Piccadilly, the single coach Class 153 arrived back into Platform 4, ready to form 2H74 10:36 Coventry - Leamington Spa. Departing Coventry on time, it was a spirited run to Kenilworth, where it was pleasing to see a number of people alighting and boarding at the new station which reopened in April 2018, after closing originally in 1965. Another spirited run from Kenilworth to Leamington followed, shortly passing over the A46. I had to ask myself how exactly would they redouble the line from Kenilworth to Milverton Junction when the bridge over the A46 is only single track width??, another single track span alongside the current one maybe??.

Arriving into the attractive station at Leamington Spa, I had about a 30 minute wait for Leg 4, as the sun was out, I went over to Platform 1/2 as I would be "right side" in case anything worth photographing came through, just a couple of passenger services and the 4M31 Banbury - Mountsorrel empty ballast boxes got captured on camera. Then it was back over to Platform 4 for my next journey.

Leg 4 was Chiltern Railways 165027 working 2D21 11:32 Leamington Spa - Stratford Upon Avon, I had originally planned to go to Stratford Upon Avon, but as the connection North was somewhat tight, I got off at the relatively new Stratford Upon Avon Parkway, the car park was probably a quarter full and just me and another passenger was awaiting the next train North at Parkway.

Leg 5 was West Midlands Trains 172331 working 2W76 12:03 Stratford Upon Avon - Stourbridge Junction, where I retraced my steps partially over the line between Wilmcote and Hatton West Junction passing through Bearley and Claverdon, before heading North via Solihull and Birmingham Moor Street and Snow Hill. By time we reached Birmingham Moor Street, I decided to go as far as Smethwick Galton Bridge, where I would interchange with the line from Birmingham New Street and get the next available service to Crewe. As it happens, I didn't have long at Smethwick Galton Bridge for my next service.

Leg 6 seen 350248 working 1F44 13:01 Birmingham New Street - Liverpool South Parkway from Smethwick Galton Bridge, only a minute or so late, there wasn't many passengers on board the train so there was plenty of seats to choose from, calling at Wolverhampton and Stafford en-route, it was a fast run, passing through the remains of the island platform at Norton Bridge and the associated infrastructure work which seen new trackwork and signalling installed to improve capacity, you really do appreciate the tasks that was involved. The Cheshire countryside then starts to give way to concrete and bricks as we approach Crewe, passing the Freightliner's depot and yard at Crewe Basford Hall, then the LNWR site and DMD before arriving into Crewe. Getting off of the train at Crewe at 13:58, it was literally a case of get off one train and onto the other, as I had to make way to Platform 4 for the train to Derby.

Leg 7, and another on time departure from Crewe, aboard East Midlands Trains 153379 working 1K16 14:07 Crewe - Derby, which was quite healthily loaded, I ended up facing backwards for the trip all the way to Derby but at least I was able to travel over the North Staffordshire line, calling at every station en-route with the exception of Peartree, just prior to Derby we join main line from Derby to Birmingham at North Stafford Junction, a location which is popular with photographers - me included having frequented the location many times, and of course is over looked by the 5 cooling towers of the defunct Willington Power Station, which has been closed for the best part of over 20 years, the freight-only branch towards Toton diverges off just a few hundred yards away at Stenson Junction, and we continue under the A38 and into Derby, where at the time of visiting, the station is being expanded and the track and signalling are due to be completely overhauled and renewed over a period between the end of July and beginning of October.

Another wait at Derby was also another excuse to grab a drink and bite to eat before Leg 8 commenced, which was a trip on the Matlock branch, I was sort of expecting a Class 156, but it was 2 Class 153's, 153308 and 153381 working 2A46 14:39 Newark Castle - Matlock East Midlands Trains service. Departing Derby 4 late at 15:56, both units were full although no one was standing, we called at every station en-route. At Ambergate, we leave the Midland Mainline behind and take what was once a mainline from Manchester to Derby, but is now a single track branch line, worked by a token system, under the supervision from Derby Power Box. Ambergate itself use to be a major triangular junction with 6 platforms, but is now just a 1 platform, single track station. Most of the stations on the branch to Matlock still have their redundant second platform in situ, albeit heavily overgrown.

Arriving into Matlock , a couple of minutes down, I walked from one Class 153 to the other (well why not is what I say :lol:) for the journey back down the branch, and what would eventually take me through to the trains terminus at Nottingham, during the course of the return trip I checked my e-mails and noticed there was a move from Willesden TMD to Chaddesden Sidings, a couple of messages on the gen groups suggested 37601 and 37611 sandwiching a Class 710 (710261) for London Overground, well that swung it for me then what the late evening plan was going to be, into Nottingham then the next service to Leicester 8-), it was a nice sunny afternoon and from past experience being at Leicester the sun would be in the right part for the evening, I'm not a full sun photter in any shape or form but it certainly does help.

Arriving into Nottingham just before 17:50, I had just under 25 minutes to play with for my next train to Leicester, which gave me time to have a wonder about the station to get different units.

The penultimate leg of Day 2, 1B72 18:12 Nottingham - St. Pancras International as far as Leicester was East Midlands Trains 5-car 222010, finding a seat in the rear coach, it wasn't all that busy and to be fair, I find the Meridian units to be quite spacious and roomy. Departing Nottingham bang on time, it was a fast run to Beeston, before heading on to Loughborough (passing through Attenborough and East Midlands Parkway at a fair rate of knots). Leaving Loughborough, we pass under what will eventually be, in the not too distant future hopefully, the bridge which will once again take the Great Central Railway's steam trains over the Midland Mainline. Continuing at a fairly nice speed we were brought to a halt at Syston Junctions, looking at the diagrams, I noticed that the Middleton Towers - Ince & Elton sand train had been sent out in front of us, maybe a manouevre which would clear the line from Melton Mowbray to allow the Stansted Airport - Birmingham New Street service to get onto the MML as it was literally behind the sand train. Following the sand train at sedate pace, one of CrossCountry Trains Class 170 Turbostars working 1N63 16:27 Stansted Airport - Birmingham New Street mirrored us along the bi-di goods line before finally being brought to a halt at Leicester North Junction to allow our train in first, arriving into Leicester 9 minutes late, although the ned in me looked later at RTT and seen it arrived into St. Pancras 2 late - not bad going really :). The Cross Country service followed shortly in Platform 4.

With some time to go before the arrival of the Class 710 sandwich, I made my way up to the North End of Platform 3/4 to take position - this location gives good views of the UDG line which runs more or less at the back of the station, this also gave an oportunity to look at the many loco's that currently reside at Leicester Depot, don't think I can ever remember Leicester being that full in my years of being an enthusiast, although I always remember it's resident Class 58, 58005 which was moved some years ago.

Making the use of the time to get a few more units and HST's which were knocking about, attention soon turned when, at 19:12 37601 crept up the UDG with the Class 710 in tow and 37611 on the rear, soon I had a few more enthusiasts join me to take photo's and video. After around 15 minutes, the ensemble was given the green light and off she went, but not before being partially bowled by a Class 153 duo working 2L74 17:26 Lincoln Central - Leicester. Still that's the name of the game :lol:.

The last, and final leg beckoned at 19:49, with CrossCountry Trains Class 170, 170110 working 1N65 17:27 Stansted Airport - Birmingham New Street, leaving Leicester more or less on time, it was a fast run to Nuneaton, passing my home station of Hinckley in a flash - as mentioned previously I opted to go from Nuneaton rather than Hinckley for better better parking provisions and more choice of routes. Arriving into Nuneaton at 20:07, it was off of the train and, after having a quick look at Freightliner's 66951 on Platform 7, working 4G67 Hams Halll - Daventry, it was back to my car and home - thus bringing Day 2 to a good end 8-).

I will do Day 3's write up at some point this week, not sure when yet however :).

james60059

Haulage, Loco's and Unit Sightings. 3-in-7 Heart of England Rover Day #2 (21/06/18).
Hi Folks,

A summary of my sightings and observations from Day 2 of my 3-in-7 Rover.

Starting off as per at Nuneaton, my main aim was to take in the Stratford Upon Avon branch and to do the North Stafford Line from Crewe to Derby, which I was unable to do on Day 1 (18/06/18).

HAULAGE LOG:

19:18 350115 Nuneaton - Rugby.
09:38 350373 Rugby - Coventry..
10:36 153354 Coventry - Leamington Spa.
11:32 165027 Leamington Spa - Stratford Upon Avon Parkway.
12:06 172331 Stratford Upon Avon Parkway - Smethwick Galton Bridge.
13:08 350248 Smethwick Galton Bridge - Crewe.
14:07 153379 Crewe - Derby.
15:55 153308 Derby - Matlock.
16:37 153381 Matlock - Nottingham.
18:12 222010 Nottingham - Leicester.
19:49 170110 Leicester - Nuneaton.

As it was a double Class 153 on the Matlock service, I think it would have been rude not to have a ride in both lol ;).

LOCO LOG (inc HST Power Cars).

NUNEATON

09:20 66594 London Gateway - Lawley Street.

BRINKLOW

09:27 66077 6M13 Dollands Moor - Ditton.

RUGBY

09:36 57308 (Thunderbudgie).

COVENTRY

10:05 57313 t/n/t 57314 1Z71 Manchester Victoria - Ascot.

LEAMINGTON SPA.

11:07 66087 4M31 Banbury - Mountsorrel.
11:25 82301 68010 1H33 Birmingham Moor Street - London Marylebone.
11:26 68014 82303 1R21 London Marylebone - Birmingham Moor Street.

NORTON BRIDGE.

13:43 66750 6V35 Clitheroe - Avonmouth.

BETLEY ROAD (Just South of Basford Hall)

13:53 66418 0Z18 Lawley Street - Crewe Basford Hall.

CREWE LNWR

14:00 08868, 09204, 68022, 345039

CREWE DMD

14:00 47790

DERBY

15:27 60040 6E08 Wolverhampton - Immingham.

DERBY RTC

17:18 08536, 08588, 31105, 37198, 37421, 73138
There was a few more bits but couldn't see them properly.

DERBY LITCHURCH LANE

17:18 08899

NOTTINGHAM

17:45 43059 43052 1B69 Nottingham - St. Pancras International.

EAST MIDLANDS PARKWAY

18:22 66618 6Z45 Barham - Tunstead.

LEICESTER (DEPOT).

18:36 37905, Assortment of 56's, 58016.

LEICESTER (STATION).

18:49 43049 43089 1D90 St. Pancras International - Derby.
18:55 43073 43055 1D57 St. Pancras International - Nottingham.
19:12 37601 + 710261 + 37611 5Q57 Willesden TMD - Chaddesden Sidings.
19:27 43081 43083 1B74 Nottingham - St. Pancras International.

NUNEATON

20:08 66951 Hams Hall - Daventry.

UNITS (In Numerical Order).

153308 2A46 Newark Castle - Matlock (with 153381).
153310 2A95 Derby - Nottingham.
153321 2L74 Lincoln Central - Leicester (153374).
153326 2A54 Newark Castle - Matlock (with 153385).
153354 2Cxx Coventry - Leamington Spa shuttles.
153355 2N51 Matlock - Newark Castle (with 153384).
153374 2L74 Lincoln Central - Leicester (with 153321).
153379 1K13 Derby - Crewe.
153381 2A46 Newark Castle - Matlock (with 153308).
153384 2N51 Matlock - Newark Castle (with 153355).
153385 2A54 Newark Castle - Matlock (with 153326).

156408 2A50 Newark Castle - Matlock.
156473 2W23 Nottingham - Worksop.

158846 2L72 Lincoln Central - Leicester.

165027 2L33 Stratford Upon Avon - Leamington Spa.

168110 1G19 London Marylebone - Birmingham Snow Hill.
168219 1G23 London Marylebone - Birmingham Snow Hill.

170101 1N43 Stansted Airport - Birmingham New Street.
170107 1L52 Birmingham New Street - Stansted Airport.
170110 1N65 Stansted Airport - Birmingham New Street.
170112 1V15 Nottingham - Cardiff Central.
170115 1M99 Cardiff Central - Derby (cancelled between Derby and Nottingham)
170518 1V12 Nottingham Cardiff Central.

172211 2S38 Great Malvern - Whitlocks End (with 172215).
172215 2S38 Great Malvern - Whitlocks End (with 172211).
172335 2C36 Worcester Foregate Street - Dorridge.
172339 2D34 Stourbridge Junction - Stratford Upon Avon.
172343 2C32 Kidderminster - Dorridge.

220004 1M34 Bournemouth - Manchester Piccadilly.
220014 1O40 Newcastle - Guildford.
220022 1E32 Reading - Newcastle.
220027 1O84 Newcastle - Southampton Central.
220033 1O10 Manchester Piccadilly - Bournemouth.

221108 9M48 Glasgow Central - London Euston (with 221114).
221114 9M48 Glasgow Central - London Euston (with 221108).
221118 1B28 Birmingham New Street - London Euston.
221122 1V60 Aberdeen - Penzance.
221127 1M30 Bournemouth - Manchester Piccadilly.

222001 1F40 St. Pancras International - Sheffield.
222002 1C75 Chesterfield - St. Pancras International (cancelled between SHF and CHD).
222006 1F60 St. Pancras International - Sheffield.
222009 1D54 St. Pancras International - Nottingham (with 222010).
222010 1D54 St. Pancras International - Nottingham (with 222009).
222012 1F38 St. Pancras International - Sheffield.
222013 1B77 Nottingham - St. Pancras International.
222017 1F63 St. Pancras International - Sheffield.
222019 1D64 St. Pancras International - Lincoln Central.
222022 1C73 Sheffield - St. Pancras International.
222023 1C57 Sheffield - St. Pancras International.

350115 1U22 Crewe - London Euston.
350117 2Y09 Northampton - Birmingham New Street.
350235 1L77 Liverpool South Parkway - Birmingham New Street.
350124 1U32 Crewe - London Euston.
350129 1U34 Crewe - London Euston.
350244 2A29 Wolverhampton - Walsall.
350245 2Y04 Birmingham New Street - London Euston.
350258 1W05 London Euston - Birmingham New Street.
350265 1Y22 Birmingham New Street - London Euston.
350368 1W08 Birmingham New Street - London Euston.
350373 2Y07 London Euston - Birmingham New Street.

390110 9M54 Edinburgh - London Euston.
390114 1B35 Birmingham New Street - London Euston.
390119 9G11 London Euston - Birmingham New Street.
390152 1R28 Manchester Piccadilly - London Euston.

Cheers

James

As mentioned previously, Day 3's log will follow later this week :).

james60059

GWR HST Trip to Pembroke Dock - 28/07/18.
With Great Western Railway having some superb deals on first class fares a couple months back to Pembroke Dock, I decided to treat myself to a spin, especially as it was a HST too 8-). £12 each way from Bristol Parkway to Pembroke Dock, with comfortable connections for changing trains it was a top day with good company; me and a friend started at Nuneaton but we got talking to another group on the train to Pembroke so all in all it was a nice day. A brucie bonus was the train from Birmingham to Bristol being a HST also so no complaints from me.

HAULAGE.

07:08 170117 Nuneaton - Birmingham New Street. (1P02 LEI - BHM)
08:18 43285/43366 Birmingham New Street - Bristol Parkway (1V44 LDS - PGN).
10:09 43027/43188 Bristol Parkway - Pembroke Dock (1B15 PAD - PMD).
14:55 43188/43027 Pembroke Dock - Bristol Parkway (1L90 PMD - PAD).
19:10 221140 Bristol Parkway - Birmingham New Street (1M69 BRI - MAN).
20:22 170522 Birmingham New Street - Nuneaton (1L56 BHM - CBG).

LOCO'S.

HAMS HALL
07:27 66508.

WATER ORTON WEST JUNCTION.
07:36 37025 3Q17 Crewe C.S. - Tyseley.

BROMFORD BRIDGE.
07:39 66528 + 66555 4O14 Lawley Street - Southampton.

LAWLEY STREET.
07:41 66588,66592,66956.

STOKE GIFFORD.
09:40 66536, 66554, 66571, 66587.

LLANWERN.
10:24 60001 6B13 Margam - Westerleigh.

EAST USK.
10:26 66102 6H35 Llanwern - East Usk.

NEWPORT A.D.J.
10:32 66040, 66044, 66127, 66155.

WENTLOOG.
10:37 43185/43071 1L48 09:29 Swansea - London Paddington.

CARDIFF CANTON.
10:50 08499, 70810, 70815.

ST. FAGANS.
10:55 66083 6H25 Margam - Llanwern.

TREMAINS (near Bridgend).
11:09 66161 + 66187 0O12 Margam - Eastleigh.

MARGAM L.I.P.
11:20 60015, 66021, 66034, 66506.

LLANELLI.
12:05 43030/43018 1L62 10:01 Pembroke Dock - London Paddington.

MARGAM L.I.P
17:50 60015, 66021, 66034, 66506.

LECKWITH NORTH JUNCTION.
18:19 66169 6V58 Margam - Acton.

CARDIFF CANTON.
18:20 08499, 70810, 70815.

NEWPORT A.D.J.
18:34 66040, 66102, 66127, 66155, 66187.

CHELTENHAM SPA.
19:41 66069 6V81 Rotherham - Cardiff Tidal.

LAWLEY STREET.
20:25 66415, 66508, 66546, 66592.

NUNEATON.
21:01 66523 t/n/t 66593 6X04 Crewe Gresty Lane - Weedon.

My next jaunt is likely to be a West Midlands Day Ranger to sample the Bromsgrove part of the Cross City Line and the Redditch branch (never done it before).

Cheers

James

james60059

East Midlands Day Ranger inc. All Change Open Day at Crewe Diesel Depot - 08/06/19.
Hi Folks,

Despite the abysmal weather, I treated myself to an East Midlands Day Ranger, which being valid to Crewe (via the North Staffs line only) was ideal for me to take a visit to Peterborough for some Class 91's and HST's and also Nottingham for a quick jolly.

HAULAGE:

07:24 170109 Nuneaton - Leicester (1K03 06:52 BHM - LEI).
08:19 170637 Leicester - Peterborough (1L30 07:22 BHM - SSD).
10:27 158812 Peterborough - Nottingham (1R74 08:56 NRW - LIV).
12:06 170103 Nottingham - Derby (1V09 12:06 NOT - CDF).
12:42 153368 Derby - Crewe (1K13 12:42 DBY - CRE).

17:07 153372 Crewe - Derby (1K22 17:07 CRE - DBY).
18:37 170639 Derby - Tamworth (1V15 18:06 NOT - CDF).
20:15 350112 Tamworth - Nuneaton (2N44 19:33 CRE - NMP).

SIGHTINGS:

Nuneaton.
06:20 88010 4S43 Daventry - Mossend.
06:29 90043 1M16 Inverness - London Euston.
06:30 66563 4L52 Garston - London Gateway.
06:42 90047 + 90041 4M49 Coatbridge - Daventry.
06:42 66129 6D30 Mountsorrel - Northampton.
06:43 66544 6M39 Moreton On Lugg - Radlett.

Leicester.
08:13 43049 + 43059 1B18 Nottingham - London St. Pancras Intl.

Leicester Depot.
08:20 37510, 37611, 37905, 37906, 47813, 47815, 50008, 56060, 56065, 56091, 56103, 56104, 56106, 57305, 57312.

Peterborough.
09:17 91110 + 82206 1S08 London Kings Cross - Edinburgh.
09:46 82230 + 91128 1E02 Edinburgh - London Kings Cross.
09:47 91102 + 82203 1S09 London Kings Cross - Edinburgh.
10:00 43310 + 43272 1N81 London Kings Cross - York.
10:05 43318 + 43307 1E03 Edinburgh - London Kings Cross.
10:08 82213 + 91104 1A18 Leeds - London Kings Cross.
10:18 91125 + 82217 1S10 London Kings Cross - Edinburgh.
10:22 47727 + 47749 1Z47 Ipswich - Scarborough.

Peterborough Yard.
10:25 66716, 66723, 66766

Nottingham.
11:45 43089 - 43050 1B38 Nottingham - London St. Pancras Intl.

Derby RTC.
12:35 08417, 37423, 37425, 57303, 57310, 67023, 67027, 73138, 97301.

Crewe LNWR.
13:55 68029.

Crewe.
14:00 57308.

Crewe Diesel Depot (14:30 - 16:00).

08737, 08762, 20189, 20205, 37190, 37606, 37608, 43048, 43423, 47501, 47593, 47614, 47712, 47811, 47816, 47830, 47841, 50049, 50050, 55016, 55019, 55022, 56049, 57301, 57307, 66503, 67006, 68027, 70008, 70808, 73001, 73951, 73952, 86622, 88005, 90045, 91119, 92038, 142001, 319433,

45231, 46100, 34046, 70000

Crewe.
16:35 66155 6O16 Ditton Foundry Lane - Dollands Moor.
16:42 66420, 90016, 90044.

Willington.
18:43 66619 6H82 Small Heath - Tunstead.

Branston Junction.
18:51 60059 6M00 Humber - Kingsbury.

Tamworth.
19:24 60059 6M00 Humber - Kingsbury.
19:44 37038 + 37059 1Z74 Leeds - Taunton.
19:52 66591 4M81 Felixstowe - Crewe Basford Hall.

Cheers

James

Status
Not open for further replies.