• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

January 21st English Electric Theme Day All Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Most people under the age of 50 dont really remember Steam Locomotives anymore, and it's probably a contribution to their appeal, because you can ride on a Diesel or an Electric anyday, fair enough they dont actually run on the Main Lines anymore, but Steam will never work regular booked workings on the Main Line anymore.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
TheSlash said:
We have electrified trains [MLV's},
Don't forget the EPB and the BEP. The MLVs are multi-traction in themselves, in terms of they can power a train without requiring a third rail supply. I remember them running on their batteries during our summer gala. As Steve said, steam has been on the line. We have 'St Dunstan' currently stored up on the Eythorne bay platform and various other tank engines have visited.

Also Jamie, I said a few posts up 'primarily' - not 'totally'.

Coxster

Established Member
Jamie C. Steel said:
Diesel or an Electric anyday, fair enough they dont actually run on the Main Lines anymore.
Rhymney,
Many railtours (steam for that matter too),
FGW Sleepers,
Caledonian Sleepers north of Edinburgh,
Holyhead (diesel as from Crewe),

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Steam Hauled Workings are not Railtours, the Jacobite is a Railtour, a Regularly Scheduled Steam Hauled working would be one where it was put into regular revenue service for passengers with a normal ticket to travel on, EG London Kings Cross to Lincoln or London Paddington to Birmingham Moor Street.

And as for the Diesel Hauled Services, I meant Heritage Diesel's, as in Class 20's, Class 25's, Class 14's, Class 45's, Class 47's, Class 50's, Class 55's, Class 56's, and the like.

TheSlash

Established Member
Hold on i think we need a stewards enquiry here......
You list locos of the the same era, but conviently miss out 31's and 37's which i suspect you know operate on both preserved lines and in regular revenue earning traffic with mainline TOC's
In the past 2 weeks, i have also seen a 47{303?} hauling freightliner trains in the Southampton area {a fine sight i must say}

bunnahabhain

Established Member
As far as my memory serves me correctly, Class 31's are not regularly working passenger trains, and the only regular Class 37 turn in a week or two will be from Edinburgh to Fort William, so I'd hardly call it a wide selection on the main line which operates in passenger service. Would you?

TheSlash

Established Member
Jamie C. Steel said:
As far as my memory serves me correctly, Class 31's are not regularly working passenger trains, and the only regular Class 37 turn in a week or two will be from Edinburgh to Fort William, so I'd hardly call it a wide selection on the main line which operates in passenger service. Would you?
I've heard of the 31's operating for Wessex twice in the past week. NR have 31's for test trains
37's had that Wales diagram until recently, better than the other stuff you mention

Coxster

Established Member
TheSlash said:
Jamie C. Steel said:
I've heard of the 31's operating for Wessex twice in the past week. NR have 31's for test trains
37's had that Wales diagram until recently, better than the other stuff you mention
31s have operated with Wessex Trains for a while now - one even in Wessex Trains livery!

Coxster

Established Member
Jamie C. Steel said:
Steam Hauled Workings are not Railtours, the Jacobite is a Railtour.
It's in the public timetable, unlike other railtours.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
It's a Railtour because you pay through West Coast Railway Co. and not via National Rail Ticket Offices.

£27 Adult Return on the Jacobite
£10 Adult Cheap day return on any train

It may be in the Public Timetables but it is still a Railtour, albeit a regularly scheduled railtour, not a locomotive on a Working Service.

If I remember correctly the last real service that was worked by steam was a Royal Mail Travelling Post Office in the late 1990's to position a Steam Locomotive for a Railtour.

joy54.gen

It is a railtour just a long running one. There not running it under NR rules or anything like that. NR tickets are not allowed on it, its a railtour.

Status
Not open for further replies.