• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Javelin trains at the Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are due to be 8tph between St Pancras Int and Ebbsfleet Int via Stratford Int during the Olympic games.

Anyone know if the same (or similar) applies during the Paralympics?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

user15681

Established Member
Well, during peak times, the service will be increased to 12tph between St Pancras International and Ebbsfleet International.

In answer to your question, yes, the same service exists for the Paralympics.
The changed timetable, with 8tph between the stations (12 at peak), will last from 27th July to 12th August (duration of Olympics). Then from 13th August to 28th August, a normal Highspeed service operates. Then, the changed timetable will be put back in place from 29th August until 9th September (duration of Paralympics), before timetables return to normal.

Also, not only are the frequency of trains increased, the Javelin shuttle between St Pancras International and Ebbsfleet international will run 24 hours.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The Games Travelcard will be valid between St Pancras Int'l and Stratford Int'l only on the Javelin services.

chuckles1066

Well, during peak times, the service will be increased to 12tph between St Pancras International and Ebbsfleet International.

Also, not only are the frequency of trains increased, the Javelin shuttle between St Pancras International and Ebbsfleet international will run 24 hours.

A genuine question - where does the rolling stock come from to provide these extra services?

I'm just wondering whether FGW could adopt whatever policy it is in this area.

Skimble19

Established Member
I'm fairly sure it's not, but is it possible to use Oyster on Javelin services between St Pancras and Stratford?

user15681

Established Member
A genuine question - where does the rolling stock come from to provide these extra services?

I'm just wondering whether FGW could adopt whatever policy it is in this area.

Highspeed services elsewhere in Kent will be cut. Normally, 2tph would run to Faversham... instead, 1tph will run to Faversham. Also, 1tph would normally run to Margate and 1tph would normally run to Dover Priory... instead, these will both be terminated at Ashford. This frees up a couple of trains. There are also often a few trains stabled each day, so these will just be being used.

Also, the trip from Ebbsfleet Int. to St Pancras Int. is only 20 minutes, so not many trains are needed to run a high frequency service.

Wishful thinking that FGW would be able to do the same, haha! ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm fairly sure it's not, but is it possible to use Oyster on Javelin services between St Pancras and Stratford?

Nope, Oyster cards can not be used on HS1. 'Games Travelcards' can be used, as previously mentioned.

Wiggler

Highspeed services elsewhere in Kent will be cut. Normally, 2tph would run to Faversham... instead, 1tph will run to Faversham. Also, 1tph would normally run to Margate and 1tph would normally run to Dover Priory... instead, these will both be terminated at Ashford. This frees up a couple of trains. There are also often a few trains stabled each day, so these will just be being used.

Also, the trip from Ebbsfleet Int. to St Pancras Int. is only 20 minutes, so not many trains are needed to run a high frequency service.

Wishful thinking that FGW would be able to do the same, haha! ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Nope, Oyster cards can not be used on HS1. 'Games Travelcards' can be used, as previously mentioned.

What about the games maker oyster cards that allows free travel?? Can they be used on hs1

tsr

Established Member
What about the games maker oyster cards that allows free travel?? Can they be used on hs1

Yes. Ask staff to let you through the disabled gate if you are using one of these "pink oysters" (not to be confused with "pink reader" validators, by the way!), whether or not it has a travelcard on it. Your card is unlikely to be read at any point during the journey.

(This information has been reworded from here: http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk/2012/07/oyster-the-olympics-and-hs1/ - please forgive me if I have allowed myself to imply anything which is untrue!)

chuckles1066

1tph would normally run to Margate and 1tph would normally run to Dover Priory... instead, these will both be terminated at Ashford

If you cut a one train per hour service, aren't you removing that service entirely?

Are TOC's permitted to do that under their SLA?

It sounds like robbing Peter to pay Paul?

atomicdanny

If you cut a one train per hour service, aren't you removing that service entirely?

Are TOC's permitted to do that under their SLA?

It sounds like robbing Peter to pay Paul?

Not completely because Dover already has services to Charing Cross (2 per hour which stop at Ashford) (and of course 2 trains per hour to Victoria by different route)

Clip

Established Member
Not completely because Dover already has services to Charing Cross (2 per hour which stop at Ashford) (and of course 2 trains per hour to Victoria by different route)

Also there is that Ramsgate > Charing Cross services that will take up the Margate one too. Though I reckon most will just go via Faversham if they so want a journey on the HS1

Status
Not open for further replies.