• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jehovah's Witnesses out and about

Status
Not open for further replies.

telstarbox

Established Member
I'm sure others will have noticed that there are often Jehovah's Witnesses leafleting in town centres and near stations .

Do they get paid? If so, where does all the money come from?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

StoneRoad

No.
They are "witnessing" or being a "missionary".

They do as part of their service to their church.
Same with the "door to door" visits that some areas are subjected to at intervals. Trying to hand out "The watchtower" or sometimes other literature, with the same aim of "converting" people.

Welshman

Established Member
Their door-to-door visitors are mandated by the command to "convert" all unblievers or sceptics.
They are not paid personally.
Their organisation is funded by generous donations.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I'm sure others will have noticed that there are often Jehovah's Witnesses leafleting in town centres and near stations .

Do they get paid? If so, where does all the money come from?

it is part of their ministry work and part of the commitment they make to their church. They often come to my house and they seem to be young, keen and often American! I find being polite to them sees them on their way in no time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Journeyman

Established Member
A core part of the Jehovah's Witnesses belief system - unlike more mainstream Christians - is that they have a very different view on salvation by grace. Christians believe that once you're saved, you stay saved. JWs believe you have to work to earn your salvation, and it's not guaranteed - so a lot of them will be acting, either consciously or subconsciously, out of fear.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
A core part of the Jehovah's Witnesses belief system - unlike more mainstream Christians - is that they have a very different view on salvation by grace. Christians believe that once you're saved, you stay saved. JWs believe you have to work to earn your salvation, and it's not guaranteed - so a lot of them will be acting, either consciously or subconsciously, out of fear.

I have to say that does sound more realistic than the death bed conversion allowed in the small print in the bible. If i read the rules properly I can do what I like as long as at the end I convert and renounce my sin. Some interpretations seem to say I get to jump the queue at the pearly gates if those circumstances! Why put the effort in now? Fire up the sin mobile baby!

The worst ones are the mad ranters we seem to have acquired outside MK station. They have a megaphone and pace about telling everyone how the path to salvation is the only way to everlasting life. I do like a ranter mind. Takes some guts to walk about the town telling everyone they are going to hell!

Journeyman

Established Member
I have to say that does sound more realistic than the death bed conversion allowed in the small print in the bible. If i read the rules properly I can do what I like as long as at the end I convert and renounce my sin. Some interpretations seem to say I get to jump the queue at the pearly gates if those circumstances! Why put the effort in now? Fire up the sin mobile baby!

I was a very hardcore Christian for a long time. I've subsequently come to realise that it's not a good way to live at all, and can do a lot of harm. People brought up in fundamental religious environments are motivated almost entirely out of fear, and a complete misunderstanding of what motivates outsiders.

EssexGonzo

Never rude to JW callers - and we get quite a few around here being only a handful of miles from their massive HQ near Stock. I just use my "I never, ever buy on the doorstep" excuse.

Whilst I'm a rabid atheist, I do see the good in the church and religion from a community perspective. As a previous Scout Leader I was required to take the Scouts to church every quarter and I never found it any other than a pleasant experience, even if all of the god-fearing words and (fictional) bible extracts jarred somewhat. And I had to witness the attendance of some of the arrogant hypocrites who I knew to have no "godliness" about them whatsoever.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Around Munich Hbf, there are lots of them with Watchtower in several languages.

Slightly off topic, I once ran into some American Mormons in Plzen who were trying to convert the locals. Trouble was, they didn't speak Czech :D

furnessvale

Established Member
it is part of their ministry work and part of the commitment they make to their church. They often come to my house and they seem to be young, keen and often American! I find being polite to them sees them on their way in no time.
You will probably find they are Mormons rather than JW.

Part of their training is to be sent as missionaries to heathen countries like the UK to convert unbelievers.

underbank

Established Member
We get quite a few doing door-to -door - maybe once a month or so. They're absolutely fine, I just say no, they smile and walk away. No problem at all. We also have an oldish bloke who sits on a bench on the canal footpath in Summer selling their magazine. He's a lovely bloke - always says hello and, likewise, no bother when you say you don't want to buy one.

I used to work with one - he was very quiet and just got his head down and did his work - never mentioned religion - we only knew he was a JW because other colleagues said so. He worked 3 days per week. Went on all kinds of holiday - Russia, America, Australia, - presumably JW trips.

My OH was friendly with twins at school - one of them married a JW and converted - stayed friends with my OH for years afterwards.

Of all the religious people, I'd far rather know/work with JW than others - they're the easiest to "fend off"!!

sprunt

To be fair, if God does exist they can probably tell if you're sincerely repenting or just trying to pull a fast one!

DaleCooper

Established Member
If that means I have to conform and abide by the rules, then I certainly won't be let in ;)
There are so many religions and so many branches, sects and cults of those religions that you could probably find one with rules that fit your lifestyle perfectly. There's a field of religious studies called Soteriology that is dedicated to salvation theory. What a waste of time and effort.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There are so many religions and so many branches, sects and cults of those religions that you could probably find one with rules that fit your lifestyle perfectly. There's a field of religious studies called Soteriology that is dedicated to salvation theory. What a waste of time and effort.
I’ve heard some kind of joke or a comedian somewhere imagining something along the lines of - Peter standing at the Pearly Gates turning everyone away apart from just one bloke who comes hopping along backwards on one leg with a toilet seat around his neck and his finger stuck in his left ear and Peter says: “Correct. Please come in”...

DaleCooper

Established Member
I’ve heard some kind of joke or a comedian somewhere imagining something along the lines of - Peter standing at the Pearly Gates turning everyone away apart from just one bloke who comes hopping along backwards on one leg with a toilet seat around his neck and his finger stuck in his left ear and Peter says: “Correct. Please come in”...
You made me giggle, no small achievement.

Darandio

Established Member
You will probably find they are Mormons rather than JW.

Part of their training is to be sent as missionaries to heathen countries like the UK to convert unbelievers.

I find the Mormons to be very friendly, they always like to speak to anyone walking by.

I did find them overly friendly once as they knocked on the door though, our youngest was only a few months old and I quickly left him in the bouncer to answer the door. I politely told them I had no time to chat as I was feeding the baby so they offered to come in and show how they would feed the baby.

Erm, no thanks.

Salvation by Grace alone is a Calvinist concept. Catholics and more moderate Protestants believe in Grace and good works. Not out of fear, but because it is good to do good - a view shared by believers, agnostics and atheists.

talltim

Established Member
There used to be a regular couple of JWs at Chesterfield station with their stand. They always smiled and said good morning so I did the same. I always thought it was strange that they didn’t try any more, but was glad.
I’ve come across pairs of young Mormon’s too, alway very smart and polite. I always wonder what it must be like to come from Utah to dreary Chesterfield, but I suppose they get to see more of the world than many Americans.

Howardh

Established Member
Went into a church yesterday for the first time since my mate died eight years ago. It was the venue for a non-religious meeting I attended. Most of it had been turned into a cafe, cold and dreary it was too, about as enticing as platforms 13/14.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
JW's have their own issues with safeguarding... any elders accused of messing about will be relocated, any accusation needs to be backed by a second witness, and The Watchtower Society in the US is currently being fined $1m per day by the courts until they release a database they hold which contains the names of all elders who have been accused of improper behaviour with minors.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
JWs do not believe in hellfire - so that seems sensible.
JWs do not believe in the Trinity - also sensible imho
Their belief in biblical chronology is shall we say “wacky” again imho.

dgl

Established Member
Let's not forget the very American concept of TV evangelists :D

One thing I did not like was seeing JW's at Lyme Regis the other day, basically blocking one of the covered seating areas.
As for coming round to your house I think they stopped going round to my late Uncles house, probably a mixture of his demeanour (rudeness) and the fact that he was a retired Anglican Rector probably had something to do with it!

A for being rude to them, I think they are rude for trying to convert you to a religion that believes that it's god and god only that should punish people not the lawmakers and as such cover any wrongdoing up (any decent religion would show people like that the boot), for a lot of people they might get a bit annoyed about that.

Now I am not religious at all surprisingly, despite my late uncle being a Rector, my late auntie one being a nun, my gran having been a Methodist local preacher and mother helping at the local Methodist Sunday school!

Calthrop

Established Member
To be fair, if God does exist they can probably tell if you're sincerely repenting or just trying to pull a fast one!
DarloRich responded: "With respect -- the small print makes no allowance for such considerations. You have to be let in. The rules are clear."

@DarloRich: this "small print" which you mention, interests me. Could I request you to cite what passage of the Bible gives you the grounds which you envisage, for the certain efficacy of deathbed conversion, genuine or otherwise? (Or -- again, with respect -- could it be that you're just goofing around?)

A flaw, of course, in the "deathbed conversion" strategy, is that it can happen that one dies very suddenly -- in an accident or what-have-you: advance notice of impending death, can't be taken for granted.

JWs do not believe in hellfire - so that seems sensible.

That's my understanding about the JWs: per their creed, the righteous -- i.e. JWs; and maybe only those JWs who make the grade -- go to an eternity of bliss, either in full-on Heaven, or on Earth re-made for all time in its Garden-of-Eden-like beauty. The wicked -- everyone else -- are just annihilated after death, and go into nothingness for all time: "same as it was for us before we were born". (I find that nowadays a number of mainstream, and on the whole pretty traditionalist and strict, Christians, are of much the same opinion: viz., the saved go to a blissful eternity in heaven; and -- since God is not a sadist -- the unsaved are just annihilated and snuffed out for eternity. The [Baptist] church which I am attending these days, strongly inclines to that view of the matter.)

With no threatened horrendous negative scenario for eternity, whatever one does or fails to do during one's life on Earth; I find it somewhat surprising that so many people seem to be drawn to -- and stick with -- the JW sect, with "glum and doleful" such prominent traits of their creed; and with such rigorous requirements, and so much that one may not do, and must do, during one's spell on Earth. I would truly need the threat of an eternity of torture, to get me to sign up for participating in that overall scenario. (In my perception mainstream Christianity is, or can be, considerably less onerous.)

AM9

Veteran Member
On the occasions that JWs have knocked here, I have generally treated them the same as
I do unwanted salespersons, - as soon as they start their patter I stop them saying something like "let me save your time as well as mine, I'm not interested thank you". It is both polite yet firm and I've not yet failed to end an encounter with it.
Being polite is far easier than simply insulting people and usually closes down their options for continuing to intrude.

Condor7

Never rude to JW callers - and we get quite a few around here being only a handful of miles from their massive HQ near Stock. I just use my "I never, ever buy on the doorstep" excuse.

Jehovahs Witnesses don’t sell anything, everything is free.

scotrail158713

Established Member
I’ll give you my view, as a Christian.
God knows when we truly are sorry for our sins. Some people genuinely misunderstand what God can do for their lives, and so don’t believe they can be forgiven. If they realise on their death bed, and truly are sorry - God is a God who forgives, and ultimately wants us to be with him in heaven.
However, I believe he also knows us and if we deliberately “fire up the sin mobile” for our whole lives, he knows it is unlikely, but not impossible, that we are truly sorry for our sins - so he may not forgive us.

DaleCooper

Established Member
I’ll give you my view, as a Christian.
God knows when we truly are sorry for our sins. Some people genuinely misunderstand what God can do for their lives, and so don’t believe they can be forgiven. If they realise on their death bed, and truly are sorry - God is a God who forgives, and ultimately wants us to be with him in heaven.
However, I believe he also knows us and if we deliberately “fire up the sin mobile” for our whole lives, he knows it is unlikely, but not impossible, that we are truly sorry for our sins - so he may not forgive us.
However the god you fantasise about would condemn someone to infinite punishment for finite crime if they don't repent. Indeed according to many Christian doctrines that would be the punishment for anyone who found it impossible to believe in a god without sufficient evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.