• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jeremy Corbyn's Traingate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Subjective truth is an oxymoron surely?
No. Philosophically speaking, all truth is subjective - that's why people believe in things for which there is no objective proof. E.g. religious people see their scriptures (Bible, Torah, Q'ran) as 100% true.

HH

Established Member
Opinion is the counterpoint to fact.

Exactly. What was being stated was an opinion, not a fact. :)

The question of How many angels can dance on the head of a pin can be discussed elsewhere.

Last edited:

Master29

Established Member
No. Philosophically speaking, all truth is subjective - that's why people believe in things for which there is no objective proof. E.g. religious people see their scriptures (Bible, Torah, Q'ran) as 100% true.

Ooh you just might be opening a can of worms there. Not the religious part. The subjective truth part. Does such a thing as objective truth exists? Subjective truth is interpretive from all our perspectives but things like time and gravity. Are they interpretive? I see where your coming from though.

Flamingo

Established Member
I will frequently work commuter trains where passengers complain they are "ram-packed" (in the carriages nearest to the station entrance) - but they are unwilling to move a few carriages along to the one with forty empty seats I announced (and told them about face-to-face)...

Master29

Established Member
I will frequently work commuter trains where passengers complain they are "ram-packed" (in the carriages nearest to the station entrance) - but they are unwilling to move a few carriages along to the one with forty empty seats I announced (and told them about face-to-face)...

I call it platform brain. People bunch up at one end of the platform often where 1st class is and then realise they hurriedly have to move down to the next carriage where they inevitably cram on together forgetting the train may have up to 12 carriages of which half are near empty. Just an observation of human sheep nature.

Andrewlong

If you want ram packed - try rush hour trains from London Waterloo at Clapham Junction. Back in 2014 I travelled this route and was unable to get on the 8 coach train let alone get a seat. Passengers congregate in vestibules which mean you can't get on.

thenorthern

Established Member
John McDonnell has now called for Sir Richard Branson to be stripped of his knighthood.

Can Labour just accept they tried to do a publicity stunt for a pledge of re-nationalising the railways which they won't ever do even if they do get elected. It went badly wrong and now they should just move on and accept that it wasn't the best moment for Jeremy Corbyn.

highdyke

John McDonnell has now called for Sir Richard Branson to be stripped of his knighthood.

Can Labour just accept they tried to do a publicity stunt for a pledge of re-nationalising the railways which they won't ever do even if they do get elected. It went badly wrong and now they should just move on and accept that it wasn't the best moment for Jeremy Corbyn.

Well they certainly know how to keep digging deeper holes that's for sure.

The last BHS store is closing after some unsavory tales of alleged financial manipulation. With that in mind, you would have thought is strip Sir Philip Green might resonate better with the public, even on the right. Look at the way the right wing press have been painting "Mr Shifty".

But oh know, we'll go for the popular Branson because we had a spat.

Whatever you think of Branson, you cannot deny he is pretty much self-made, with no degree and a popular business figure across the world. It's not rags to riches, but his record is generally a good one of how to start with a student magazine and turn that into a business empire creating lots of jobs.

People abroad must be thinking what are these guys on?

Last edited:

class387

Established Member
As I have said a number of times, something like TfL Rail or GOBLin in the peak. Much as I personally disagree with Corbyn's definition, that doesn't make it any less valid.

While his defenition is indeed valid, it can be quite misleading to call a train like the one he went on 'ram-packed' as quite a lot of people would consider that as something much worse.

thenorthern

Established Member
Well they certainly know how to keep digging deeper holes that's for sure.

The last BHS store is closing after some unsavory tales of alleged financial manipulation. With that in mind, you would have thought is strip Sir Philip Green might resonate better with the public, even on the right. Look at the way the right wing press have been painting "Mr Shifty".

But oh know, we'll go for the popular Branson because we had a spat.

Whatever you think of Branson, you cannot deny he is pretty much self-made, with no degree and a popular business figure across the world. It's not rags to riches, but his record is generally a good one of how to start with a student magazine and turn that into a business empire creating lots of jobs.

People abroad must be thinking what are these guys on?

Very good point Sir Richard Branson has seems to have very good public relations and seems to be very popular with consumers.

Virgin Trains is probably the most popular train brand in the country.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
attachment.php

Attachments

• JC.jpg
    JC.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 231

Pinza-C55

Having worked on the privatisation of our railway and having been involved subsequently with a couple of legal cases on the privatised network I can confidently say that public ownership would immediately free-up funds which currently go in the pockets of consultants, lawyers and the huge number of directors on private sector salaries.

TOCs don't do it because they care about public transport. It's a good earner with very little risk (See how Metronet's backers walked away to pick up new contracts on Government projects like London 2012 within weeks).

If you think that private ownership means no expense to the taxpayer, I recommend you do some reading on the history of the subject since the 1990's. It's simply not true.

And Corbyn? Yep, I'd vote for him in an election. I don't want style, I want substance.

But that would imply that the rail network should be run as a public service and not for profit ?
That's an outrageous idea and tantamount to communism. :lol:

EM2

Established Member
But that would imply that the rail network should be run as a public service and not for profit ?
That's an outrageous idea and tantamount to communism. :lol:
It never has been in the past. Even when previously nationalised, it was expected to be profitable, hence exercises like the Modernisation Plan and Beeching's Reshaping.

highdyke

The railways were profitable prior to 1955, that was until the pesky government decide to build lots of free at the point of use roads. The lesson is public service is all very well, just depends who you are trying to serve..

That picture is probably Corbyn after he's dropped the fares so much he can't afford to invest...

Harbornite

Established Member
The railways were profitable prior to 1955, that was until the pesky government decide to build lots of free at the point of use roads. The lesson is public service is all very well, just depends who you are trying to serve..

Things weren't really rosy before 1955 though, the railways had suffered badly in the war and began to gradually lose money as more and more cars appeared. The 1955 strike really marked the beginning of the "red" for British railways as quite a few companies decided to turn to road transport as a result.

highdyke

Well the railways began to lose profitability after people bought cheap trucks after WW1. The 1920s and 30s were a period of gains and loss where the railways sought a square deal in order to free themselves of common carrier obligations, taxes and other government regulation.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That would be news to the LNER...

The LNER missed a few years where it didn't pay dividends on shares, due to the great depression that affected the NE badly, and road transport competition in East Anglia. The GWR was always profitable, and the SR and LMS moderately so. The pre-grouping companies had mixed fortunes, some were quite poor like the Highland and Cambrian railways, some were well off like the GWR, Midland, Caledonian.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ules-releasing-corbyn-cctv-document?CMP=fb_gu

The decision by Virgin Trains to release CCTV images of Jeremy Corbyn on one of its services after he complained on video about the journey being “completely ram-packed” was in breach of the company’s own policies, the Guardian can reveal.
Virgin Trains is facing an investigation by the Information Commissioner’s Office over the controversy, amid concerns that the publication of images may have broken the rules of the Data Protection Act.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I take it all back, looks like the train was ram packed after all because there aren't any seats available.

Corbyn would say that. Actually, it isn't necessarily true (as most politicians and the media will recognise) - there could have been numerous seats available but the passengers preferred the open air......... Photos don't *always* reveal the whole truth.

:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.