Jim Stones Coaches

Discussion in 'Buses & Coaches' started by Rod Harrison, 15 Jan 2020.

1. Rod Harrison

Rod Harrison Member

It is reported on the Merseyside Dennis Dart forum today that, unless a buyer can be found, Jim Stones Coaches will close on Saturday 18 April and all drivers will be made redundant. They have blamed uncertainty about franchising and upcoming LEZ plans.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. TheGrandWazoo

TheGrandWazoo Veteran Member

Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
    If true, it's a sad state of affairs and one that has been entirely predictable. JSC were and are a great little firm.

Mind you, with the uncertainty of franchising undermining operators, the threat to the value of businesses and the rock bottom terms for acquiring depots, it's almost as if the local politicians would sooner run everything themselves...

4. Alexbus12

Alexbus12 Member

It's very sad, but as above, it's been predicted for a while now.
    They've built up a few local commercial routes so I hope someone takes them on. I assume TFGM will now be planning to retender their subsidised routes if no buyer can be found.

5. winston270twm

winston270twm Established Member

What split of Jim Stones work is commercial / tendered ?

6. Alexbus12

Alexbus12 Member

Think it's only something like 3 routes that are commercial. There tendered network has been faiding away in recent years.

7. winston270twm

That explains why closure sounds likely then i.e. not a lot to buy.

8. markymark2000

markymark2000 Member

Commercial:
    588 - Scott Road
    593 - Tamar
    595 - Abbey Lane

Part funded:
    682 - Leigh to Hag Fold
    583 - Leigh to Hag Fold (Sunday only route)
    584 - Plank Lane (Crankwood I think is the funded part)

9. Alexbus12

Alexbus12 Member

The depot building itself might become attractive to First. Short drive away from Leigh bus station for Vantage and has actual facilities rather than the cabin currently at the Arriva depot in Bolton.

10. njlawley

njlawley Member

Plus 589, 590 and 596 - all commercial, although the tender is up on the 589 and 590 with TfGM looking to combine them into one route. Likewise, the 682 tendered element is being withdrawn upon the contract ending, so it will be fully commercial then on.

584 is a deminimis contract between Crankwood and Plank Lane, otherwise it would be a 20 minute Plank Lane circular only.

There's also one am and two pm school services.

I've had it officially confirmed as I know the family - they don't mind people knowing - but I cannot provide any more details until a public announcement is made next week. Being from Leigh, it will be strange but sad not to see Jim's buses pottering around town when I'm up visiting family.

Last edited: 15 Jan 2020
  11. MotCO

MotCO Member

Would Arriva be interested in better facilities :D:D ?

12. winston270twm

But First aren't planning to stick around in Manchester for any longer than they have too.

13. splashoutradio

splashoutradio Member

Such a shame that Jim's coaches may soon be a thing of the past - they've been around since 1968!
    Having lived in Leigh previously, I always made sure to catch a JS route over other operators, when possible. Their drivers were always friendly, the buses well turned out, and they even went through the trouble of having radios and sound systems installed throughout the fleet, so that drivers and passengers could have a little music to accompany their journey?

It does appear that Jim Stones been having a bit of a hard time recently, with contracts that have been lost or withdrawn, as well as proposals to reduce the operational costs of GM's subsidised bus network. But if they do go (and I hope they don't,) they'll certainly be missed.

14. PG

PG Member

Sadly if the drivers vote with their feet and seek alternative employment without waiting to see if a buyer materialises, and TBH I couldn't blame them, then there might not be a firm to sell as a going concern.

Full credit however for giving advance warning rather than a 5pm Friday announcement which leaves everyone scrabbling around.

15. Alexbus12

Alexbus12 Member

Yeah, that's what they wanted to make clear, that they aren't going bust. They're giving TFGM the time to sort out routes etc before they close.

16. markymark2000

markymark2000 Member

Not according to Vosa. 589/590 and 596 are tendered. That is what I went off for all the routes. Those not listed are down as tenders.

17. Rod Harrison

Rod Harrison Member

Wonder if Go-Ahead might be interested as an opportunity to extend their footprint in Manchester area?

18. carlberry

carlberry Established Member

Because of franchising there's nothing really to buy. The contracts will expire and the benefit of having a depot has been reduced because of the compulsory purchase of the larger ones.

19. markymark2000

markymark2000 Member

Too small I think for GoAhead. The operations are tiny and do not link into any other GoAhead network so it would be a little bit useless.

Jim Stones network isn't profitable enough (in my opinion) for a big group. It is a proper independents network.

20. njlawley

njlawley Member

You're right - I had tendered in my head at the time and typed commercial for some reason! Hence why immediately after I said that the tender for the 589/590 was up for renewal.

In case you're wondering, the 589, 590 and 682 tenders were already scheduled to end on the last day of operation.

21. Alexbus12

Alexbus12 Member

Statement in the local news today.

https://www.leighjournal.co.uk/news/18172715.jim-stones-coaches-sale-serving-leigh-30-years/

22. njlawley

njlawley Member

That's the detail I had been provided with last week. The family did have a bereavement late last year, which may have contributed to the decision.

23. njlawley

njlawley Member

All of the private registrations have been removed, with buses re-registered as follows:

BUS 1S = MH17 EGK
    H1 JYM = MH17 EGJ
    B1 JYM = MT66 MTE
    B1 BUS = MH15 LHR
    BU52 LEE = MM14 DWU
    JB51 BUS = MM14 DXK
    M1 BUS = MM14 DWX
    BUS 51T = MM13 OCH

Last edited: 24 Jan 2020
  24. MotCO

MotCO Member

Two buses with the same reg ? :s:s

25. geoffk

geoffk Established Member

Yes sad news (I used to work for GMPTE as it was then called) but Jim must be "getting on a bit" and so not unexpected.

26. NCounties

NCounties New Member

Typo;
    MH17 EGJ - - H1 JYM
    MH17 EGK - - BUS 1S