• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jim's Rant

do you think that we are discriminated?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

Established Member
Hi everyone,
In today’s culture of yobish behaviour who here thinks that well behaved youths are being discriminated on because off this?

I had an experience a week back on a "Wessex" service. I was the only person subject to a ticket check on the 4-coach train.

Tell me your examples.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Yes, I totally agree. My local shop only permits 4 school age children at a time between 3 and 4pm and refuses to allow any unaccompanied under 18's into the shop after 6pm.

In addition, at the shop where I work, whenever anybody who looks under the age 20 comes into the shop, the manager tells us to "keep an eye on him/her".

Yes, there are a lot of young people who act like yobs, but there are also a lot of young people who are, decent, respectable people.

jd

Yeah. But don't get me started on the attitudes of the elderly towards young people.

Tom B

Established Member
Whilst I do agree with you in the main, I'd imagine a larger proportion of people under 18 (or whatever) are involved in ticket fraud.

Dave A

Cockfosters said:
Whilst I do agree with you in the main, I'd imagine a larger proportion of people under 18 (or whatever) are involved in ticket fraud.

I agree. Its more with 16yo like myself. I don't do it persistantly, but when it comes to having to pay £2 for a child or £6 for an adult travelcard, I pay £2 whenever I can. Also, on Monday, I needed to get on a couple of buses. I had a £20 note and 90p in change. So I tried to pay 40p and got away with it. London Buses NEVER change up more than £5 in my experience.

*Rant time*

I try not to do it, but I think its unfair that I should pay £1.20 for one bus, when I earn just £2 an hour :shock:

I think child fares should apply to 16-18yo now as U16 go free. That would stop a lot of fare evading, ticket fraud etc, in London anyway (which has a massive problem with it!).

Marv said:
Yes, I totally agree. My local shop only permits 4 school age children at a time between 3 and 4pm and refuses to allow any unaccompanied under 18's into the shop after 6pm.

In addition, at the shop where I work, whenever anybody who looks under the age 20 comes into the shop, the manager tells us to "keep an eye on him/her".

I hate going into big stores now. I always notice someone, member of public or staff, just glancing out of the corner of their eye. This is very unfair, especially when we spend so much on their products :roll: :x :(

I have also noticed the fall in young people working. My local ASDA has been quite under-staffed of recent weeks, and I hate working at home, so I thought I'd go and ask if they had any places. When you go there, you can see they employ mostly older (45+) and disabled people, so I think "great, an equal opportunities employer", but no places. I have asked every couple of days for 5 weeks, handed my CV in and got nothing :x

But its the same everywhere. They could have 15 out of 30 tills closed, throughout the day, but they're not under-staffed? :? :roll: :shock:

Someone, please do something about it, otherwise please move compulsary schooling to 18yo as its only going to get worse :x :(

*Rant over*

Tom B

Established Member
Companies will try to get out of charging you the lowest fare - you need a pass here to get a child fare from 11 upwards. I once left this at school by mistake, and next day showed the bus driver my TfL pass - which *clearly* states I am 11-15 - and he refused to accept it. However, as I'm actually meant to be in the year below at school, my pass is valid until just before I'm 17 - which is excellent, and I shall continue to pay child fare until then.

Re: compulsory education: I would *not* wish to be in a classroom with several peers who couldn't give a (insert expletive here) about schooling. Trouble is, they can be a drain on society claiming benefits.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Don't get me started on this...Doesn't matter what you do, where you do it, how old you are, people will be displeased with it.

I can name a lot of people who make you feel like dirt for doing different things, all legal stuff too.

I read 66% of the people who live in my city are in an ethnic minority or something like that. TBH, this puts me off living here! I will certainly be checking up on such issues when I move!

Oh, and I don't care if I offend someone with that last statement, tough. Most of the time, I must admit to feeling less secure with them all around me on a bus here! Dunno why I should, but I do.

Dave A

FGWFan said:
Don't get me started on this...Doesn't matter what you do, where you do it, how old you are, people will be displeased with it.

I can name a lot of people who make you feel like dirt for doing different things, all legal stuff too.

I read 66% of the people who live in my city are in an ethnic minority or something like that. TBH, this puts me off living here! I will certainly be checking up on such issues when I move!

Oh, and I don't care if I offend someone with that last statement, tough. Most of the time, I must admit to feeling less secure with them all around me on a bus here! Dunno why I should, but I do.

Believe me, your not alone. And it may be offensive to people but its the truth. There are more problems, less work for us, and higher costs because of this problem. :x

A nice little place called Porthmadog in the corner of North Wales. My ideal place to live and have a guess why :roll:

A big thanks to Labour for making this all possible :roll:

The Gricer

Cockfosters said:
I remember recently seeing a poster (I think it was at Kidderminster station) which 'named and shamed' people who had been fined for fare evasion. As I remember the majority were between 20 and 30 although the age varied wildly right up to old codgers like myself. (Not that I'm a fare evader I hasten to add!) Seems a good idea though. If I was thinking of trying to get away with it, the thought that my name may appear prominently displayed on the station would make me think again.

Frank

Tom B

Established Member
London Tube said:
Believe me, your not alone. And it may be offensive to people but its the truth. There are more problems, less work for us, and higher costs because of this problem. :x

Do you support the BNP? Or read the Daily Mail? Immigrents wouldn't claim such benefits if they were allowed to work more easily. They often do work which natives can't be bothered with - litter picking, cleaning - low paid jobs. And before you think about costs, how much do people already resident here drain from the economy, sitting at home having 12 kids by 30...

Dave A

Cockfosters said:
London Tube said:

Do you support the BNP? Or read the Daily Mail? Immigrents wouldn't claim such benefits if they were allowed to work more easily. They often do work which natives can't be bothered with - litter picking, cleaning - low paid jobs. And before you think about costs, how much do people already resident here drain from the economy, sitting at home having 12 kids by 30...

:shock: BNP, Daily Mail, no way in hell. :x :shock:

Immigrants get that work because its become a trend with employers. They *think* that we wouldn't do that work, so therefor, its easier to offer it to immigrants who will take less pay. But, I would take work like that for minimum wage. A jobs a job :roll:

As for "12 kids by 30", it all comes back to 4 main problems.

1. There are less jobs available because of the higher rise in immigrants who are willing to do it for minimum wage, usually cash in hand.

2. Education is a shambles in the cities. There are less teachers every year but there are more pupils.

3. So many people are getting into Higher Education now, that they're aren't enough higher level jobs because too many people are well qualified.

4. Its all the Labour parties fault. Since 1997 all of the above have been a part of what is letting this country down.

I am not a racist or anything like that, but if you look at the past and compare it to now, whats one of the main things that stand out? The major rise in immigrants :roll: :x

Coxster

Established Member
On the sleeper meet, myself, Joy54 and Harold watched people board as normal but because we were looked young etc, the guard questioned us at to whether we had reservations on that particular train etc. When we said yes he tutted, went 'hmm' and walked off ;)

Tom B

Established Member
How do you know it started in 1997? Things may have gone down a bit since 97, but the economy is reasonably good and things take time to take effect - if something got worse from 97 onwards, it was probarbly due to policy changes a couple of years back.

David

Established Member
London Tube said:
1. There are less jobs available because of the higher rise in immigrants who are willing to do it for minimum wage, usually cash in hand.
I know. I'm struggling to find any job that pays a decent wage because all the immigrants have come here and said "I'll do that for minimum wage."

So employers are now just offering the minimum wage and employing foreingers.

EDIT: Also, my father, who is a HGV driver of many years experiance, is struggleing badly to find a decent job because of the (colourfull language here)immigrants taking all the jobs.

London Tube said:
3. So many people are getting into Higher Education now, that they're aren't enough higher level jobs because too many people are well qualified.
I know about this as well. I am a skilled worker in my chosen trade, but do I get a chance to move up? Do I (expletive)!!!!

London Tube said:
4. Its all the Labour parties fault. Since 1997 all of the above have been a part of what is letting this country down.
Couldn't of said it better myself.

EDIT: Tony Blair has said before that the economic "migrants" will help this country grow better and stronger. Tell that to everyone who cannot find a job now because of them. <(

Techniquest

Veteran Member
TBH, I have seen immigrants be more fussy about work than me:

'I want a driver job'
'Taxi driver?'
'No'
'That's all that's available'
Look of confusion on his face, eyes rolling from me, as I refused work in McDonalds and various other places.

David

Established Member
FGWFan said:
TBH, I have seen immigrants be more fussy about work than me.
Come to Scunthorpe and see if that's true. They are taking all the best jobs, and most of they others, leaving good, honest hard workers, as well as skilled workers with the dregs (if there is any). At the minute, I count myself lucky that I have a job, even though it is at minimum wage. (Just over half of what I should be earning.)

By the way, check my previous post, it has been edited.

Jim

Established Member
Who voted no & way. Can we please keep this ON topic unless I will ask for it to be locked. READ - "CHILDREN"

T

Tom

Now to add my piece.

As most of you know, I am still considered to be "a child" by many people, including the railways. As with the nature of the child mind - I am a bit fussy. But enough of me, about the topic.

The subject is children, not immigrants. :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The example I quoted yesterday was the only one I can remember. I'm sure they take whatever they can get most of the time.

At the same time, I'm a pedant, perfectionist (mostly when I'm work, other times I'm a lazy sod) and fussy to go with it all, so finding work isn't easy for me. I certainly refuse to work in catering again, esp. McDonalds. I'll happily let some immigrant work that!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I can't use the language I would like to use to describe it. It may be suffice to say I HATE catering work. Especially as we are now becoming more like McDonalds by the week!

Maybe I'll dig out a dictionary and use some choice words from there to describe it, then reveal these words tomorrow.

Dave A

FGWFan said:
I can't use the language I would like to use to describe it. It may be suffice to say I HATE catering work. Especially as we are now becoming more like McDonalds by the week!

Maybe I'll dig out a dictionary and use some choice words from there to describe it, then reveal these words tomorrow.

Don't you mean the thesaurus :? ;)

More and more town centres now have fast food places which make upto 25% of all shops :shock: . Why do we need them? They all offer the same junk that will kill you :? :roll:

Lewisham2221

Established Member
London Tube said:
FGWFan said:

Don't you mean the thesaurus :? ;)

More and more town centres now have fast food places which make upto 25% of all shops :shock: . Why do we need them? They all offer the same junk that will kill you :? :roll:

Because:

a) People eat it
b) It makes a huge profit
c) It provides quite a few jobs

That's just like saying we only need one supermarket, one music shop, one games shop etc etc

evil_hippo

We don't need even one supermarket. We need 10 local shops instead. I for my part make an effort to only eat meat (of the plain sort) from my local butcher and fruit and vegetables from my local greengrocer.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
evil_hippo said:
We don't need even one supermarket. We need 10 local shops instead. I for my part make an effort to only eat meat (of the plain sort) from my local butcher and fruit and vegetables from my local greengrocer.

Fair enough. But then I suppose it isn't too difficult if you actually have a local butcher and greengrocer.

evil_hippo

That's very true. But, then, if it wasn't for all the evil supermarkets you would have local shops (and therefore be able to obtain goods of a far superior quality).

Lewisham2221

Established Member
evil_hippo said:
That's very true. But, then, if it wasn't for all the evil supermarkets you would have local shops (and therefore be able to obtain goods of a far superior quality).

True, very true.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Coxster said:
On the sleeper meet, myself, Joy54 and Harold watched people board as normal but because we were looked young etc, the guard questioned us at to whether we had reservations on that particular train etc. When we said yes he tutted, went 'hmm' and walked off ;)
The guards on the sleeper can be very kurt. This does not apply to berthed accomodation where the opposite is true.

Tom B

Established Member
I still don't see why people eat Muck Donald's...

evil_hippo

yorkie said:
The guards on the sleeper can be very kurt. This does not apply to berthed accomodation where the opposite is true.

I am confused now... In which section of the train do you find nice staff?

Status
Not open for further replies.