• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

JMB Travel

jmb travel are expanding with 2 new servives

• PM1087164/7 Registered
    J M B TRAVEL LTD

Route: Newmains Cross to Shotts Hillhouseridge Terminus via Allanton

Service number: 800

Service type: Normal Stopping

Effective date: 25 Sep 2018

• PM1087164/9 Cancelled
    J M B TRAVEL LTD

Route: Bogside Roundabout to North Motherwell, Watling Street or Wishaw General Hospital via Overtown, Gowkthrapple, Muirhouse

Service number: 802

Effective date: 24 Sep 2018

• PM1087164/2 Registered
    J M B TRAVEL LTD

Route: Shotts Hillhouseridge Terminus to Hamilton Keith Street

Service number: 56

• PM1087164/19 Registered
    J M B TRAVEL LTD

Route: Newmains, Westwood Road to Burnhead, Elmbank Ave or Burnhead Shops via Bellside, Newhouse, Old Edinburgh Road

Service number: 804

• PM1087164/18 Registered
    J M B TRAVEL LTD

Route: Newmains, Westwood Road to Cleland, Parkside Terminus via Bellside

Service number: 803

• PM1087164/17 Registered
    J M B TRAVEL LTD

Route: Netherton or Wishaw General to Bogside via Overtown, Waterloo

Service number: 802

• PM1087164/16 Registered
    J M B TRAVEL LTD

Route: Cleland, Parkside Terminus to Cleland, Parkside Terminus via Coltness, Wishaw, Netherton, Motherwell, Bellshill

Service number: 240

• PM1087164/15 Registered
    J M B TRAVEL LTD

Route: Motherwell Precinct or Bogside to Motherwell Precnct or Bogside via North Motherwell

Service number: 6

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
Thats going to be some increase in the service fleet. It going back to routes once controlled by Mckindless. I think this is the first time it going to Bellshill direct? Its strange Monklands cant stubtaine a decent bus network yet Motherwell can?

Last edited:

JonnyB1984

This will be interesting to see JMB taking on FIG. 56 does get very good passenger numbers at the moment and I can certainly see this going up once Shotts-Hamilton starts. About time First had some good competition in this part of Lanarkshire.

AlexanderPS

Interesting times. 56 back to Shotts-Hamilton. More buses more jobs. Good for the area.

I've always wondered if JMB would go to Cleland. Good their making it a bit different from the First offering.

smtglasgow

Don’t suppose First are happy about this. Surprised that JMB and First are fighting so hard over the North Motherwell route – seems odd to have so many buses on a route that can’t support a commercial evening service. Guess JMB see signs of weakness, but I don’t suppose they’ll go much beyond their tried and tested technique of simply sticking a bus right in front of the competition. But I’ve thought for a while that the 240 is vulnerable. It gets hammered by the traffic right along the route and the bunching is off the scale. Quite common to see 3 or 4 arrive at the one time in Buchanan Bus Station, so there must be huge gaps in Lanarkshire. JMB always run with their foot on the floor, so they could run a decent service with a relatively small number of extra vehicles!

Thinking about it, don’t suppose Coakley are happy about JMB coming to Bellshill – although their business model for the 107/109 doesn’t seem to involve carrying passengers.

New timetables are on traveline website it seems service 6 will be operating every 30 minutes mondays to fridays only and service 240 every 15 minutes mondays to fridays only

smtglasgow

Interesting. No idea why they’re still bothering about North Motherwell – don’t think anyone is making much money there. As I said in the First Glasgow thread, their 240 might do OK if they can sneak into the gaps in the First 240. I wonder if First will run extra buses out to Cleland like they’ve done with North Motherwell? Coakley (or MacKenzie, or whatever they’re called at the moment) are still running to Viewpark, so that end of the 240 might get quite interesting…

lastbus

• PM1087164/15 Cancelled
    J M B TRAVEL LTD

Route: Motherwell Precinct or Bogside to Motherwell Precnct or Bogside via North Motherwell

Service number: 6 ()

Effective date: 01 Feb 2019

• PM1087164/7 Registered
    J M B TRAVEL LTD

Route: Newmains Cross to Shotts Hillhouseridge Terminus via Allanton

Service number: 800 ()

• PM1087164/2 Registered
    J M B TRAVEL LTD

Route: Shotts Hillhouseridge Terminus to Hamilton Keith Street

Service number: 56 ()

• PM1087164/16 Registered
    J M B TRAVEL LTD

Route: Cleland, Parkside Terminus to Birkenshaw, Sixth Street via Coltness, Wishaw, Netherton, Motherwell, Bellshill

Service number: 240 ()

• PM1087164/17 Registered
    J M B TRAVEL LTD

Route: Netherton or Wishaw General to Bogside via Overtown, Waterloo

Service number: 802 ()

• PM1087164/18 Registered
    J M B TRAVEL LTD

Route: Newmains, Westwood Road to Cleland, Parkside Terminus via Bellside

Service number: 803 ()

• PM1087164/19 Registered
    J M B TRAVEL LTD

Route: Newmains, Westwood Road to Birkenshaw Sixth Street via Bellside, Newhouse, Old Edinburgh Road

Service number: 804 ()

JMB changes from 1/2/2019

240 service extending to birkenshaw and the 6 is coming off so no JMB buses in north Motherwell

lastbus

JMB 56 going back to North Motherwell despite what the registration above says and 240 now going via craigneuk rather than netherton and muirhouse again despite what the registration says

overthewater

Established Member
Here is the details of the service changes, big one being 6 is gone, 56 now goes back to North Motherwell, and 240 now goes via Craigneuk 190201-Ser-Change-Poster.png

Busmaddy

I see that the 56 JMB bus is doing a 2 journey ticket for £ 2:50 from Wishaw all the way to north Motherwell that’s a very good price . That will do good for the cash they bring in once the bus is finished for the night as first have so many buses going down muirhouse as there 266 is every 6 mins and there 241 are every 10 mins

lastbus

I see that the 56 JMB bus is doing a 2 journey ticket for £ 2:50 from Wishaw all the way to north Motherwell that’s a very good price . That will do good for the cash they bring in once the bus is finished for the night as first have so many buses going down muirhouse as there 266 is every 6 mins and there 241 are every 10 mins
JMB are doing nothing on the back road and this is another desperate attempt just like them putting the 240 through craigneuk and to birkenshaw is. Empty buses don’t make £££s

Busmaddy

JMB are doing nothing on the back road and this is another desperate attempt just like them putting the 240 through craigneuk and to birkenshaw is. Empty buses don’t make £££s
The must make money on the 56 route if they didn’t I don’t think they would be running there 56 route anymore

Can i ask what is a two journey ticket? A ticket which allows you to change buses once if you need to take two buses to get to your destination perhaps?

Many thanks. I have never heard of a ticket being called this before. I wonder why they don't just call it a Return ticket then.

SarahDFIG

Many thanks. I have never heard of a ticket being called this before. I wonder why they don't just call it a Return ticket then.
It's called a 2 journey as it will give you 2 journeys on the bus route. Unlike a return ticket where you can only get as far back to as you originally boarded a 2 journey ticket will allow you to get to where you want to go first then on return you can go to the furthest stop the ticket allows. Also this ticket will also allow you to jump off the bus mid journey then catch it later again to continue on the rest of your journey.

smtglasgow

I think the JMB/First ‘battle’ will be a long war of attrition. JMB seem to be a better operation than McKindless ever were, and the SPT contract they won last month (£5m over 7 years) is going to help their bottom line. I mainly see their 240 in Bellshill and it’s definitely not taking off, but I still see busy buses on the 41 and 56 – JMB won’t be going anywhere anytime soon. And while First are doing OK in Lanarkshire, there are plenty of very quiet 266’s running around during the day. But First have seen off all their competitors so far, so in the long run I’d put my money on them coming out on top.

overthewater

Established Member
jmb might be better of diverting the 240 to coatbridge instead, espically if it goes a slightly quicker route. I see it has also cut back rumning to Hamilton.

If jmb does get 247, then it should try motherwell - holytown - eurocentre - chaplehall - monklands h. Mcgills are not up for a fight just look at the 213. It would create new links and alllow the college students better access to the college.

lastbus

jmb might be better of diverting the 240 to coatbridge instead, espically if it goes a slightly quicker route. I see it has also cut back rumning to Hamilton.

If jmb does get 247, then it should try motherwell - holytown - eurocentre - chaplehall - monklands h. Mcgills are not up for a fight just look at the 213. It would create new links and alllow the college students better access to the college.
247 is an SPT tendered route.

lastbus

I think the JMB/First ‘battle’ will be a long war of attrition. JMB seem to be a better operation than McKindless ever were, and the SPT contract they won last month (£5m over 7 years) is going to help their bottom line. I mainly see their 240 in Bellshill and it’s definitely not taking off, but I still see busy buses on the 41 and 56 – JMB won’t be going anywhere anytime soon. And while First are doing OK in Lanarkshire, there are plenty of very quiet 266’s running around during the day. But First have seen off all their competitors so far, so in the long run I’d put my money on them coming out on top.
The same operation don’t you mean

overthewater

Established Member
I still dont get what your on about? Im saying is if it keep this spt contract then it should try the other route since McGill are not in fighting mood.

lastbus

I still dont get what your on about? Im saying is if it keep this spt contract then it should try the other route since McGill are not in fighting mood.
I mean they have won the contract to run the 247 so it will be run as it is currently. No extension don’t get what you don’t understand!

overthewater

Established Member
I dont get what you dont understand. If jmb entre the monkland bus market then why not try a new route..

lastbus

I dont get what you dont understand. If jmb entre the monkland bus market then why not try a new route..
They are only entering it to do a contract if they take it up. Which means they will run the service that McGill’s currently operate under contract to SPT which JMB will take over.