• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

JMB Travel

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulMc7

Established Member
Surprised at this jmb taking over the 19A in Glasgow

PM1087164/28
New J M B TRAVEL LTD 19A Brookfield Drive, Robroyston Buchanan Bus Station

Think Robroyston is an area operators seem to hate now. It's such a dead area for bus use now. The 8 isn't that busy, the X2 isn't and even the SPT 72 Mcgills run tends to be almost empty every single time I've seen it. Can't imagine the train station and it being easy for cars because of the M80 help though

The 41 is being increased to every 20 mins and the CG1 clyde gateway service is being reintroduced from the 21st of July

experts

Good to see the boss of this firm upto no good!

A bus company boss is facing jail after beating a fellow manager on the back of the head with a metal table leg at the firm's Christmas party.

Max Cairns, then commercial manager of Scottish coach company E&M Horsburgh, struck depot manager James McDowall with the table stay because Mr McDowall had tickled him in the toilets, a court heard.

Cairns, of Shotts, Lanarkshire, pleaded guilty at Falkirk Sheriff Court on Monday to assaulting Mr McDowall to his injury in the incident on December 21st, 2019.

DC21

Is there a connection between JMB & Lothian? Reason I ask, I was looking up a timetable for the 56 and the PDF was called 'Lothain Buses plc'. The liveries are also the same style and a few buses are or were ex Lothian. TIA.

cnjb8

Established Member
Is there a connection between JMB & Lothian? Reason I ask, I was looking up a timetable for the 56 and the PDF was called 'Lothain Buses plc'. The liveries are also the same style and a few buses are or were ex Lothian. TIA.
I think the whole JMB livery being similar to Lothians was because JMB purchased some ex Lothian SPDs in 2015 and simply adapted the livery. Probably wrong but oh well

DC21

Noticed JMB have a few Gemini deckers in their yard in the company livery. Anyone know if these are these for school contracts or service work. Can't find any pictures on Flickr or Google to show. Anyone got any pictures of these vehicles?

Noticed JMB have a few Gemini deckers in their yard in the company livery. Anyone know if these are these for school contracts or service work. Can't find any pictures on Flickr or Google to show. Anyone got any pictures of these vehicles?
More than likely School work if it's the Gemini's, Most independents have bought Lothians old stock for school work, only time you might see ex Lothian stock on service work is with Moffat & Williamson, E&M Horsburgh and Bay Travel.

Strathclyder

Established Member
I think the whole JMB livery being similar to Lothians was because JMB purchased some ex Lothian SPDs in 2015 and simply adapted the livery. Probably wrong but oh well
That's bang on the money. The first ex-Lothian SPDs to enter service had a livery more akin to that of McKindless, but the later arrivals simply had their Lothian livery adapted, the madder/red, white and gold being swapped out for a green, cream & green palette. The final examples to arrive had the livery changed again, the cream part of the livery changing to a rather fetching silver colour, this becoming the standard company livery for normal service buses, new or second-hand.

DC21

As posted before, today there was a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter on the 56 service today at Motherwell. I was wondering as to why such vehicle was on this route as its uncommon. Was there fleet issues at the depot or is passenger demand that low on the service. Hope this reads better for the mods :)

Bearbus

I see JMB are putting a couple of those ex-Lothian Wright Bodied double deckers into service on the 41 Lanark to Hamilton some time in the next week or so.

All ready to go out on service on Monday.

(Mod edit: Images below, please remember to add a photographer credit)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1617992569998.jpg
    FB_IMG_1617992569998.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 85
  • received_480871796298282.jpeg
    received_480871796298282.jpeg
    476.1 KB · Views: 58
  • received_465017614719544.jpeg
    received_465017614719544.jpeg
    516.3 KB · Views: 58
  • received_1133855520460941.jpeg
    received_1133855520460941.jpeg
    333.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited by a moderator:

lastbus

I see JMB are putting a couple of those ex-Lothian Wright Bodied double deckers into service on the 41 Lanark to Hamilton some time in the next week or so.

All ready to go out on service on Monday.

(Mod edit: Images below, please remember to add a photographer credit)
There is one out today.

Bearbus

JMB Travel, Newmains, are getting 9 new MCV Evora Volvos for the 41 Lanark to Hamilton service early in the new year. They're like those that Whitelaw's coaches have just got and I must say I prefer them to the Enviros. The drivers on the 41 are looking forward to them arriving as well. The 5 Enviros that are on the 41 are going on the 56 Shotts to North Motherwell Service.

Last edited by a moderator:
JMB Travel, Newmains, are getting 9 new MCV Evora Volvos for the 41 Lanark to Hamilton service early in the new year. They're like those that Whitelaw's coaches have just got and I must say I prefer them to the Enviros. The drivers on the 41 are looking forward to them arriving as well. The 5 Enviros that are on the 41 are going on the 56 Shotts to North Motherwell Service.
They had an Evora on loan from Docherty's Midland Coaches a while back to trial them out, they are really good buses, Know a few Whitelaws drivers and they're impressed by them.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Could everyone remember to include the sources of any information that is being posted here, preferably with a suitable quote from a published source. If it's the case that you heard it from someone else, or if it's from a company insider, that's fine as long as you say so.

Scotrail88

Any evidence of this?

Observer

From the 17th of January JMB are taking over the 5 (Hattonrigg-Motherwell) from Ballantyne.
This was in last week's Notices and Proceedings:
Section 3.1 – Registration of New Services PM1087164/36

J M B TRAVEL LTD, 101 MAIN STREET, NEWMAINS, WISHAW, ML2 9BG
To: Motherwell, West Hamilton Street
Via: Mossend, New Stevenston
Name or No.: 5
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 17 January 2022
Other details: Monday to Saturday

Section 3.5 – Cancellations of Existing Services

PM1144238/1 KEVIN BALLANTYNE AND JOHN BALLANTYNE, 150 CLYDESDALE STREET, BELLSHILL, ML4 2RS
Operating between Clay Crescent Bellshill and Motherwell Town Centre given service number 5 effective from 15 January 2022.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Do we know if the Ballantynes are shutting up shop, or just ditching the service route? I notice neither the current 5 nor JMB’s replacement appear to be council contracts, based on the subsidy part on the registrations? Not sure what else A&J Ballantyne do, if anything, as only have three discs and the 5 appears to use two?

Operating centres​

150 CLYDESDALE STREET, BELLSHILL, ML4 2RS, GB30

Authorisation​

• Total Number of vehicles3

mb88

Do we know if the Ballantynes are shutting up shop, or just ditching the service route? I notice neither the current 5 nor JMB’s replacement appear to be council contracts, based on the subsidy part on the registrations? Not sure what else A&J Ballantyne do, if anything, as only have three discs and the 5 appears to use two?

The service 5 is all they do. The owner is retiring.