• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jobs similar to working as a MOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi all,

I had an interview for a MOM job with NWR earlier in the year. Although I was successful at the interview, due to reorganisation within the area they had to withdraw the job offer and instead provide it to another MOM who was at risk of redundancy.

I've been keeping an eye on various job sites including the NWR site but it seems there aren't any more MOM jobs opening up, at least to external applicants. Does anyone know if there are any jobs open (or likely to open up) that are similar to that of a MOM i.e. doing incident response type work?

My background is working for BTP as a response officer on mainline routes, hence why I went for the MOM position as I don't have much technical/engineering/pway qualifications or experience that would enable me to apply, for example, as a technician or pway worker.

I did find a position on the Tubelines site for a Maintinence Operations Manager which sounded similar to that of a NWR MOM, however the requirements asked for previous LU rolling stock experience and several qualifications which rules me out.

Anyone have any advice/ideas of other jobs that I might be suitable for?

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DavyCrocket

If as in Network Rail MOM you mean Mobile Operations Manager then it won't be the same as the Tube Lines MOM - Having said that, I'm not too sure on what they do as I've not heard of them! On LU, LU Chief Operating Officer staff are responsible for incident and management, but also call on LU Assest Performance Directorate (what was Metronet) and Tube Lines resources when required.
If you have more information I may be able to shed more light!

Thanks for the reply. The Tubelines one is here: http://www.tubelines.com/careers/vacancies/201107/TL4821O.aspx it seems generally signalling based but has a bruief mention of working with BTP and NOC during incidents - hence why I thought they might share some of the same day to day tasks.

Must admit I was pretty gutted not to get the NWR job (however I totally understand the reasons why)! Seemed like the ideal career for me...oh well will have to hope another role pops up soon :D

the sniper

Established Member
Just out of curiosity (so feel free not to answer ;)), how long have you been in the job 777654? I'm guessing you're on LN or LS?

DavyCrocket

It seems like they go to faults that are the responsibility of Tube Lines to be 'the bitch' of the Duty Operations Engineer in the Fault Report Centre at TLL HQ. Finding out why a Technial Officer hasn't done a certain thing at a failure perhaps - though they have two other managers including a Signal Operations Manager!
I normally work with several TLL people but won't be for a while now.
But it's not the same as a MOM (if a MOM is the first line response to an operational incident and can take command?)

Just out of curiosity (so feel free not to answer ;)), how long have you been in the job 777654? I'm guessing you're on LN or LS?

Sent you a PM ;)

Yeah from what I've researched it seems for incidents on the LU their response and the staff they send down vary to that of NWR's approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.