• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Jobsworth" is it an insult?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muz379

Established Member
All the times I can ever recall having been called it or witnessed other staff being called it , it has been meant as an insult . And almost exclusively by someone pushing their luck with something , and facing a member of staff who dont let them do something they are not allowed to do .

A common example is when dealing with ticketing . I was called it recently when I had the audacity to challenge someone on a peak time service which always gets full and standing by its destination because they had an advance ticket for a train an hour and a half later which would not have been as busy . Personally it seems common sense to me that people travelling with advance tickets for an off peak train during peak time should be made to pay for a peak ticket or alight and wait for their booked service . I apply leeway to advance tickets at locations like airports when in some instances there are formal easements and in others it is obvious why people would miss advance trains . But to not challenge someone on a peak train with a cheap advance for a later train would be unfair on passengers who have paid peak time fares .

Ive also been called it for other more important stuff like asking people to take responsibility for their children running up and down a train , or doing other dangerous stuff in other jobs I have had , telling people to stop smoking . Instances when actually if I was found not to be telling people to do or not do something I could be subject to disciplinary action . Personally I take it with a pinch of salt , have been called much worse and will then usually just continue to insist that the person does as they are told .
I use it solely to describe those people who don't have sufficient knowledge to do their job, and will prevent others from doing things they are entitled to do because of that.

In my case, it's mostly for security staff who refuse to believe that my pass gives me access through the route they are guarding, but also refuse to check with a supervisor or pass sheet they have been given. Another is car park attendents, who, even when holding a piece of paper with registration numbers, still don't let you park where has been agreed, and you end up having to get a superior to come and negotiate.

I'm not after discretion here, just a willingness to accept they might be mistaken.
Whilst having been on the receiving end of such stuff as I am sure most of us will have been and agreeing that it is totally frustrating . And I dont know for sure from your post if you would advocate this btw but I dont see what benefit there would be , or how it is going to alleviate things by calling the staff member concerned a jobsworth . It almost always will make someone more defensive of their position .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
I absolutely despise the term Jobsworth. virtually every time the term is used is in connection with an individual who is not following safety rules or behaving in an antisocial manner or not travelling in accordance with the validity of their ticket or doesn't even hold one. They have been caught out and don't like it and resort to being personal in an attempt to bully, demeanour or intimidate staff who are merely doing their job!

Last edited by a moderator:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Those of a certain age may remember Esther Rantzen and That's Life on the BBC. Each week they had a 'Jobsworth of the week' award as nominated by viewers and I recall the feature opened with its own catchy little jingle!

Jobsworth, Jobsworth, It's more than me job's worth,
I don't care, rain or snow,
whatever you want the answer's no...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/597889.stm

I was just about to post that remeniscence, but you got there first :)

I remember one section about a chap who used to park his car outside of his shop to unload stock because delivery vehicles were allowed to park, unlike other vehicles. However because the car didn't look like a lorry or a van, he kept getting parking tickets.

The That's Life team built a wooden lorry shaped superstructure around the car to try and stop the parking tickets.

The ruse didn't work unfortunately, but it was splendid telly !

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I absolutely despise the term Jobsworth. virtually every time the term is used is in connection with an individual who is not following safety rules or behaving in an antisocial manner or not travelling in accordance with the validity of their ticket or doesn't even hold one. They have been caught out and don't like it and resort to being personal in an attempt to bully, demeanour or intimidate staff who are merely doing their job!
that is all that needs to be said.

al78

Established Member
"Jobswirth" to me is like "do-gooder" or "self-righteous", it tends to be used by those who have been called out for doing something they know they shouldn't be doing, but have an entitlement they should get away with it. It thus says more about the person throwing the insult than who it is directed at.

LowLevel

Established Member
It is often misused when directed at me. Generally it is applied when I am politely telling someone they're doing something that isn't very wise or not permitted as I usually start with a soft touch and go on from there.

The moment the J word gets uttered a wicked grin appears in my brain and the person speaking it rarely gets much satisfaction out of it when they find out just how direct an interpretation of the rules can be taken.

Quiet words become putting people off trains. Requests to renew expired railcards on apps become hefty sums for new tickets.

If you're going to attempt to make things personal with someone who is doing their job (and in a more liberal way than you realise) it is usually best to ensure you have backup plans for when it blows up in your face :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.