• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Joining and splitting trains en route

Status
Not open for further replies.

berneyarms

Established Member
I notice the title doesn't specify through portions as did the last thread on the topic, so I'll say that every 2 hours during the day a Birmingham Intl to Holyhead kicks off a 158 at Shrewsbury and within a few minutes attaches to one in the opposite direction
But the first post does!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GW43125

Established Member
They certainly did split there until recent years, not sure if they still so now though. I have a feeling they don't.

In the peaks, there are Ramsgate & Dover splitters which join/split at Faversham.

CMS

Ashford, Kent always used to. Notvsure about now.

There are a few Javelins which gain/dump 6 coaches there, with the other 6 coming from/continuing to the Kent Coast on weekdays. There are also the occasional 375 workings which continue to do so on MF peaks and Sundays, plus there are two mid-afternoon coast-bound journeys which detach a portion which runs via Sandwich then Minster to Ramsgate in order to cater for schoolchildren.

sqrtc

There's an evening peak service Glasgow Queen Street to Aberdeen with typically a 170+158 which leaves the 158 behind in Perth

I think there's also a Glasgow/Edinburgh - Aberdeen which joins to make 6 cars from Dundee - Aberdeen on Sundays

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There are a few Javelins which gain/dump 6 coaches there, with the other 6 coming from/continuing to the Kent Coast on weekdays. There are also the occasional 375 workings which continue to do so on MF peaks and Sundays, plus there are two mid-afternoon coast-bound journeys which detach a portion which runs via Sandwich then Minster to Ramsgate in order to cater for schoolchildren.

I always wondered who used the Minster curve these days !

SwindonBert

Splitting and joining Class 800s will become the norm in GWR land when the full IEP Timetable comes in. Splitting and joining is likely to take place at stations such as Bristol TM, Cardiff Central etc

A massive change from now, mainly as one would have fun splitting an HST

BluePenguin

On Moderation
More than I thought. Mostly on the old "Southern Region" - what about Faversham?
Trains from Faversham to Victoria used to join and split the same way as trains to Charing Cross split at Ashford International.

The Dover portion would leave first and then sit and and wait at Faversham for the portion from Ramsgate to arrive and attach behind it. The train then ran as one to Victoria calling at Sittingbourne, Rainham, Gillingham, Chatham, Rochester and Bromley South.

They don't split and join at Faversham anymore though. Today trains from both Dover and Ramsgate stop at all stations to Faversham and then call at the same stations as above before also Meopham and Longfield. However there are a few services from Dover which might still split and join in the peak.

One train per hour stops at all stations to Canterbury East and then the stopping pattern above. The other service is fast to Canterbury East but then becomes what was the stopping service from Faversham via Swanley and Denmark Hill, which used to be a standalone service itself. I have a feeling that more carriges were/are added at Faversham to accomodate the huge crowds which board at the metro stations on route. Someone on here will know.

GW43125

Established Member

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Llandudno Junction also has trains that split, some arrive at Llandudno Junction as 4 cars and then split two continue to Holyhead and two return Chester direction or sometimes they split and 2 x cars head to Llandudno while the other 2 x cars head to Holyhead.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Tpe used to split at York with one unit continuing to Scarborough and other to Newcastle on some services . Not sure if this still happens with the new timetable

I've not seen that, but it does remind me of this service:

1A56 2157 Middlesbrough to Manchester Piccadilly, calling at Thornaby, Yarm, Northallerton, Thirsk, York and Leeds, where the train couples to:

1K40 2224 Hull to Manchester Piccadilly, which has already called at Brough and Selby.

The 6 car 1K40 then goes forward to call at: Cottingley, Morley, Batley, Dewsbury, Ravensthorpe, Mirfield, Deighton, Huddersfield and Manchester Piccadilly

Dieseldriver

I think there is one evening London Waterloo to Exeter St David's service that splits at Salisbury (as do many) but then splits again at Yeovil Junction.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Peak time Edinburgh - Carnoustie used to split at Dundee, not sure if it still runs.

The Ham

Established Member
Given how much splitting of services does happen in the former NSE area I'm always surprised by the number of people who are opposed to it happening elsewhere. The case in point being when it was first suggested as part of the IEP process.

leedslad82

When I used to work in Keighley There was a regular split in Leeds. Train arrived in as a Manchester victoria to Selby service. It was always 4 carriages and the rear two split off to form the 8.19 to Morecambe. Even with announcements and the guard walking through telling people the number of times someone for Selby ended up with a detour to Shipley was surprising.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Virgin do some splitting/joining at Birmingham New Street and Wolverhampton.

Alfie1014

Colchester for a few trains.

Splitting and joining trains does come with a risk to performance. For joining, both halves obviously have to run on time. The coupling equipment itself must be reliable, and it mustn’t snow.

The 07:46 ex Liv St on weekdays splits at Witham with one portion for Braintree and one for Walton-on-Naze. I wonder when the Aventras and FLIRTS arrive whether there will be an increase in splitting and joining on the Franchise?

GW43125

Established Member
I think there is one evening London Waterloo to Exeter St David's service that splits at Salisbury (as do many) but then splits again at Yeovil Junction.

This reminds me that there used to be a 12-car Victoria to Coastways which would first split off the portion for the West coastway at Hayward’s Heath, before then dropping another unit at eastbourne and continuing to ore.

This always confused people as the reversal at Eastbourne meant it was front 4 Eastbourne, mid 4 ore, rear 4 Littlehampton.

Electro star PISs can’t handle three way splits.

Clip

Established Member
In the peaks, there are Ramsgate & Dover splitters which join/split at Faversham.
Still one an hour during the day too i believe.

Also the Portsmouth/Bognor and Southampton/Bognor ones

Scotrail84

Established Member
Now runs as 1L21 1711 Queen St - Carnoustie with no split.

Did that not used to be the Markinch terminator? Morning equivalent runs from Kirkcaldy to Qst, the only opportunity to get the Dalmeny - Winchburgh curve on a booked passenger working.

Highlandspring

Established Member
The evening Markinch terminator is 1N79 1733 Queen St - Markinch via Winchburgh and has been for many years. The former Carnoustie stopper (1L11 1702 from Edinburgh) now terminates at Dundee and the units (2x158) stable overnight to form 1H25 0539 Dundee - Inverness in the morning, which itself splits at Carnoustie with the rear 158 going back to Dundee as 2L09 at 0603... bringing things nicely back on topic.

bramling

Veteran Member
There's also Royston as well, I remember there used to be a 12 car in the evening peak which had the front 8 run fast to Cambridge with the rear 4 stopping at the villages no idea if that is still the case though.

And also as @Fred26 can no doubt confirm the first train from London on a Sunday morning used to be a 8 car Class 365 which split at Stevenage with the front 4 for stations to Cambridge and the rear 4 for stations to Peterborough.

All history now. Nothing happens at Royston, Letchworth, Stevenage or Welwyn since the new timetable.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Am I right in thinking that a few years ago there was a service in the peak which split at Westbury, front portion carried on to Warminster with the rear portion going to Frome where both parts would rejoin at Westbury to head back towards Bristol?

Might be as far back at Wessex Trains days

mildertduck

XC sometimes split at Newcastle, having used an extra unit to supplement and Edinburgh train, they leave it in Newcastle (or normally drop it back to Tyne Yard) to form a Ncl starter heading south. I have seen this happen, but I don't know how frequently, or if it's just at weekends.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
XC sometimes split at Newcastle, having used an extra unit to supplement and Edinburgh train, they leave it in Newcastle (or normally drop it back to Tyne Yard) to form a Ncl starter heading south. I have seen this happen, but I don't know how frequently, or if it's just at weekends.
The original question ruled out this sort of split to adjust train capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.