• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Joint Line passenger services post Werrington

Status
Not open for further replies.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Simple question really. Will any passenger services use the diveunder? At present most services to and from the Spalding direction use platform 1 at Peterborough, using the reversible track on the east side of the ECML formation to reach the junction, thereby avoiding crossing the fast lines. Are there any that do not (maybe the first or last train of the day, if the stock comes from somewhere else). Given that Platform 1 is the only one with direct access from the station entrance, it seems inefficient for such a relatively minor service to have first dibs on it, forcing London-bound passengers to use the bridge to reach platforms 2 and 3 instead.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Simple question really. Will any passenger services use the diveunder? At present most services to and from the Spalding direction use platform 1 at Peterborough, using the reversible track on the east side of the ECML formation to reach the junction, thereby avoiding crossing the fast lines. Are there any that do not (maybe the first or last train of the day, if the stock comes from somewhere else). Given that Platform 1 is the only one with direct access from the station entrance, it seems inefficient for such a relatively minor service to have first dibs on it, forcing London-bound passengers to use the bridge to reach platforms 2 and 3 instead.
IIRC it was asked about a while ago in the main Werrington thread, I think the consensus was that the current passenger use of P1 by terminating trains wouldn’t change at all. As you say it may be used at start and end of service For stock positioning.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
2R92 currently uses Platform 6, and I believe there's one in the middle of the day which uses platform 2.

Veteran Member
2R92 currently uses Platform 6, and I believe there's one in the middle of the day which uses platform 2.
The 1301 is LNER via Newark - typically the Joint line unit shares a platform with TL, which is very efficient - possibly easier than slotting it in on the far side?

bunnahabhain

Established Member
The 1301 is LNER via Newark - typically the Joint line unit shares a platform with TL, which is very efficient - possibly easier than slotting it in on the far side?
I didn't quote or mention the 1301 LNER service. Utilising real time trains at present is no use either because LNER are terminating services at Peterborough which wouldn't usually terminate there, and EMR are running fewer services than usual. Under normal circumstances there's usually an EMR service between 1030-1200 which runs to and from P2.

TheBigD

Established Member
The equivalent from May, the 2012 Peterborough to Nottingham via*, has a timing point for New England Junction which suggests it will depart from platform 1 or 2.

* also runs via Leicester and as an Ivanhoe line stopper from Leicester. Journey time of over 2 hours.

Steve Harris

I can certianly verify that Platform 2 (was p3 at the time) has been used for services towards Spalding.
As 30907 has said, the platform used to be shared (at the same time) with Great Northern services. However, since the brand name (and destination) switch to Thameslink, a lot more of those services are now 12 car (used to be 8 or 12) so I don't know if there is room to share the same platform anymore.

Aictos

Established Member
I can certianly verify that Platform 2 (was p3 at the time) has been used for services towards Spalding.
As 30907 has said, the platform used to be shared (at the same time) with Great Northern services. However, since the brand name (and destination) switch to Thameslink, a lot more of those services are now 12 car (used to be 8 or 12) so I don't know if there is room to share the same platform anymore.
From looking at RTT, it looks like it is possible for EMR and TL to platform share on Platform 2 at Peterborough, I've got a example below from the 9th September 2021:

11:42 Lincoln Central to Peterborough (arrives 12:54) Platform 2B
10:25 Horsham to Peterborough (arrives 13:05) Platform 2B

13:21 Peterborough to Lincoln Central (departs 13:21) Platform 2B
13:24 Peterborough to Horsham (departs 13:24) Platform 2

I'm sure they actually extended both Platform 1 and Platform 2 specifically for platform sharing to be done there.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

Both platforms were extended to allow for a 2 car DMU to platform share with a 12 car 700.

This was at the expense of Peterborough’s London end bay platform

Steve Harris

Both platforms were extended to allow for a 2 car DMU to platform share with a 12 car 700.

This was at the expense of Peterborough’s London end bay platform
From looking at RTT, it looks like it is possible for EMR and TL to platform share on Platform 2 at Peterborough, I've got a example below from the 9th September 2021:

11:42 Lincoln Central to Peterborough (arrives 12:54) Platform 2B
10:25 Horsham to Peterborough (arrives 13:05) Platform 2B

13:21 Peterborough to Lincoln Central (departs 13:21) Platform 2B
13:24 Peterborough to Horsham (departs 13:24) Platform 2

I'm sure they actually extended both Platform 1 and Platform 2 specifically for platform sharing to be done there.
Arh ok, thanks for the info.

Last edited:

clagmonster

Established Member
There is a couple of minutes time penalty for an up ECML train to use platform 1 rather than 3.

HST43257

Established Member
Not wanting to make this ultra speculative but is P5 not available for a lot of the day?

David Goddard

Established Member
That was the status quo for many years in the 1990s/2000s with Kings Cross 317s/365s in 3a and the Joint line 153s/156s in 3b.
For a while the EMUs used the old P1 bay but as this could only take a 4car this ceased with more 8 car workings.
The arrangement then moved to P2 (now P1) when the rebuild happened.

Steve Harris

That was the status quo for many years in the 1990s/2000s with Kings Cross 317s/365s in 3a and the Joint line 153s/156s in 3b.
For a while the EMUs used the old P1 bay but as this could only take a 4car this ceased with more 8 car workings.
I'm more than fully aware of that, I actually lived in Peterborough when that used to happen (hence why I posted and also mentioned about 8 and 12 car services). I'm also aware that the original P1 bay used to be used for the Hitchin - Peterborough DMU service prior to electrification.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
EMR may not wish to sign the Werrington diveunder or is actually available for trains in May 2021?
Not anywhere near complete by May. The original question was about the eventual future after opening, but I think went off into the separate question of whether it is possible to have two trains in P1...

bunnahabhain

Established Member
EMR may not wish to sign the Werrington diveunder or is actually available for trains in May 2021?
It'll likely just be a yellow peril that gets issued to us, most of us already sign the junctions on both sides. It's just the tunnel bit that'll be new for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.