• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

joint line upgarde

Status
Not open for further replies.

class26

Anyoine have any news on the proposed Joint line upgrade to run the ECML freight via Lincoln rather than Grantham ? I live close to it ansd can`t see signs of anywork yet and reading the blurb it should be operational by 2014 ?

Originally it was scheduled to be complete but 2012 I think but thats seems to have slipped.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Anyoine have any news on the proposed Joint line upgrade to run the ECML freight via Lincoln rather than Grantham ? I live close to it ansd can't see signs of anywork yet and reading the blurb it should be operational by 2014 ?

Originally it was scheduled to be complete but 2012 I think but thats seems to have slipped.

Latest dates are shown in the CP4 enhancement prgramme latest update:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/publications/deliveryplan/Control-Period-4/Delivery-Plan-update-2012/

Pages 138/9 of the third document include the milestones. They've broken the project down into a few different sections, not all of which are started yet, it is probably best to read the whole section I think.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I look forward to travelling between Lincoln and Spalding after 1600 :)

It would be nice if East Coast diverted the HST via Sleaford and Spalding once it is complete to keep route knowledge upto date, but I suspect that will give Newark and Grantham an unacceptable gap in service.

class26

Some good info in there.

A shame the vast majority of NCNs (at least on the public site) consist of just a covering note with little or no details...

Interestingly thers a typo in the official line speeds. Sleaford N - Lincoln (page 14 is quoted as 55 mph raising to 75 and throgh Lincoln 40 . Then look further down (pages 22.23 & 24) where Sleaford N - Lincoln is 55 (same as now) but through Lincoln has gone up to 75 !!!! Now I`d like to see that standing at the high st crossing in Lincoln!!

Given the line speeds improvement I reckon that the time between Lincoln and Peterborough via Seaford and Spalding wont be that different to by the ECML given the ridiculous wait at Newark for a slot down south at the moment.

Hull trains did say once the upgrade was finished they would look at a service via the Joint line and even build a new station at Donington called "Boston Parkway". Would love to see this happen. Anyone any ideas about this ?

Failed Unit

Established Member
I think once the line gets 75mph running EMT may be able to do Peterbourgh - Lincoln hourly clockface with 3 units.

Peterbourgh - Lincoln via Lincoln could be done in about 1h via ECML. I suspect post upgrade you will be looking at about 1h15 maybe 1h10 at a push.

class26

Some good info in there.

A shame the vast majority of NCNs (at least on the public site) consist of just a covering note with little or no details...

I think once the line gets 75mph running EMT may be able to do Peterbourgh - Lincoln hourly clockface with 3 units.

Peterbourgh - Lincoln via Lincoln could be done in about 1h via ECML. I suspect post upgrade you will be looking at about 1h15 maybe 1h10 at a push.

But have you looked at the proposed frieght times , Peterborough - Donny via the Joint line ? Scheduled for 2 hrs 2 mins. If Lincoln to Peterborough is 1hr 10 then Lincoln - donny is 50 mins. I still think Lincoln - Peterborough via Sleaford will be closer to 1 hr . Remeber also they say that where possible they will go above 75 mph for passenger services where its cost effective

Failed Unit

Established Member
But have you looked at the proposed frieght times , Peterborough - Donny via the Joint line ? Scheduled for 2 hrs 2 mins. If Lincoln to Peterborough is 1hr 10 then Lincoln - donny is 50 mins. I still think Lincoln - Peterborough via Sleaford will be closer to 1 hr . Remeber also they say that where possible they will go above 75 mph for passenger services where its cost effective

It is 56 miles between Lincoln and Peterborough with 4 stops and harsh curves near Sleaford which is what I based my time on, quicker would be good. The frieght will be non-stop and will bypass Sleaford so I suspect will take about the same time as a passenger working.

I can't see passenger workIngs above 75mph - emt don't have enough 158s

class26

It is 56 miles between Lincoln and Peterborough with 4 stops and harsh curves near Sleaford which is what I based my time on, quicker would be good. The frieght will be non-stop and will bypass Sleaford so I suspect will take about the same time as a passenger working.

I can't see passenger workIngs above 75mph - emt don't have enough 158s

I was thinking more about what Hull Trains or another open access operator might do through to London and to go on the ECLM aftewr Peterborough they will need 125 mph stock

Agreed E Mids trains will , at best use a 156, still limited to 75 mph

TheBigD

Established Member
It will be interesting to see what service EMT (DfT ib reality) will offer.

I suspect that an extra unit would be required in the morning peak looking at the current service.

ultrabox

From what I've seen on the upgrade: Mill Green has been converted from gated crossing to full barriers. Seen plenty of engineering trains working on line possessions with a lot of jointed track replaced with wielded rail between Spalding and Werrington Junction. Still plenty of clickety clack rail on down though.

Status
Not open for further replies.