• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Journey after foot operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

soup6

A friend has to travel unaccompanied next week between London and Devon and, following a foot operation, has to keep one foot raised (above knee level) during the journey. Any suggestions as to how this might be practical by rail? Possible destinations are Axminster or Tiverton Parkway and boarding/alighting should be OK, it's the journey itself that presents a problem.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EssexGonzo

One would have to say that this appears to be almost impossible using any form of public transport and also rather difficult using personal transport such as a car.

The only think I can think of would be to reserve and pay for two seats opposite each other and rest the foot on the opposite seat? But the TOC may not be happy with this.

Or how about using a wheelchair with one of those extending foot rests and booking the wheelchair space (assuming there is one).

But I would still get someone to give me a lift in a car!

TheEdge

Established Member
Wheelchair is probably the best (only?) way of doing it. A phone call to the TOCs customer service line might help when it comes to reserving an opposite seat but I doubt it.

I can't think of anywhere where you could easily sit stretched out like that.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Such a journey will be hard by any form of transport especially if the leg has to be in the position suggested by the OP

I might be tempted to contact the TOC directly the only issue is that the FGW customer service line tends seems be off shore and poor. Would a visit to the ticket office be a better bet?

soup6

Thanks for your ideas and help. I had considered the reserve-two-facing-seats route but the earlier thread about bags on seats had put me off. In the old days, a solution would have been to take the sleeper to Exeter (when there were dedicated Exeter coaches - I can remember this) and this may still be the best solution albeit arriving at Exeter at 3am is not ideal.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Update: First Great Western have come up trumps and booked my friend into the seat facing the wheelchair space. They say his luggage can be piled into the wheelchair space so that the leg can be elevated and they won't book a wheelchair into that space. I'm impressed.

Be3G

Established Member
In the old days, a solution would have been to take the sleeper to Exeter (when there were dedicated Exeter coaches - I can remember this) and this may still be the best solution albeit arriving at Exeter at 3am is not ideal.

I'm glad FGW have managed to find a good solution, but I thought I'd just point out for others looking that whilst the sleeper arrives at Exeter at 3am, it sits there for an hour or more after that so it's possible to glean slightly more sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.